Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ruger American in 7mm-08, first trip to the range:

[Linked Image]

See what fits and take a good look at the Ruger.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

B
byd Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Pharmseller
Is that a compact

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, you want a rifle for your wife to USE. Thought you were going somewhere else and was going to suggest you just use what you have.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by byd
Pharmseller
Is that a compact

Nope, standard. I looked at the compact but the LOP was too short.

My point was that the Ruger American is developing a great reputation for accuracy which is way out of proportion to the price.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tarkio

Apparently you have never handled a Montana. They aren't just light rifles. Almost every dimension is reduced in size in very nearly perfect proportion. And the balance is superb.

Even the bolt diameter and the size of the ball on the bolt handle are reduced in size, yet nothing is overdone, like on some extreme light rifles.

Many companies just put a short, skinny barrel on a standard action and call it a lightweight, but the balance is awful. Reading the spec's on a rifle isn't enough to tell you how the rifle will feel in your hands.

The Kimber synthetic stock is extremely well done, also. Find one you can lay your hands on and see what you think.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
IC B2

T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
Tarkio

Apparently you have never handled a Montana. They aren't just light rifles. Almost every dimension is reduced in size in very nearly perfect proportion. And the balance is superb.

Even the bolt diameter and the size of the ball on the bolt handle are reduced in size, yet nothing is overdone, like on some extreme light rifles.

Many companies just put a short, skinny barrel on a standard action and call it a lightweight, but the balance is awful. Reading the spec's on a rifle isn't enough to tell you how the rifle will feel in your hands.

The Kimber synthetic stock is extremely well done, also. Find one you can lay your hands on and see what you think.

You are right, I have never handled a Montana. I appreciate your description. I will try and find a Kimber to try out.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Looking for a wife rifle. Considering a model 7 in a 7mm-08. Had one model 7 before and it was a 308. I struggled with it a bit. Could never get it to group reasonably well and frustrated me to no end.

Curious if this is a model 7 (short bbl and light) function or did I just get a dud?

7's are the most fickle of Big Green's offerings.

Go Montana 243 and watch her smile,as Critters are slammed to the deck.

Play your cards right and she may even let you shoot it..............(grin)

I figured you'd opine.

Educate me on the Montana's. I see you promote them as the best option many times over and I'd like to know why.

Simply because they are without equal.

That isn't opinion,it's fact and them differences is stark.

Hint.

'Course it's easy for me to say...if only because I got 'em all.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Looking for a wife rifle. Considering a model 7 in a 7mm-08. Had one model 7 before and it was a 308. I struggled with it a bit. Could never get it to group reasonably well and frustrated me to no end.

Curious if this is a model 7 (short bbl and light) function or did I just get a dud?

7's are the most fickle of Big Green's offerings.

Go Montana 243 and watch her smile,as Critters are slammed to the deck.

Play your cards right and she may even let you shoot it..............(grin)

I figured you'd opine.

Educate me on the Montana's. I see you promote them as the best option many times over and I'd like to know why.

Simply because they are without equal.

That isn't opinion,it's fact and them differences is stark.

Hint.

'Course it's easy for me to say...if only because I got 'em all.............

Stick, please elaborate. You are usually good for factual info and that's why I asked you. I've seen where you or someone else posted about the balance, handling etc. but what else are the attributes of this model rifle?

I've looked at some listings and there aren't a lot out there. Most cost in the neighborhood of $12-1400. Sell/educate me that this rifle is worth the extra $400-600. I am a value kind of guy. Regardless the price, if I think the value/roi is there, I'll buy it.

Montana MOFO
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
She might like the Ruger International with its full length stock. Good balance.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 55 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,946
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.