Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
204guy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Was in a gunshop today and they had a pf mod 70 featherweight in 7x57 with a composite stock. Looked like it was probably a fiberglass stock but couldn't be sure, really solid stock. Had a hard recoil pad. Had a few dings in the stock and a slight bit of surface rust by the muzzle. I think they were asking $560. Looked like an interesting rifle. I'm not much of a model 70 buff, I read one reference saying Winchester was putting out McMillan stocked fwt's in the 80's but that's about all I can find. I didn't look at the recoil pad to see if it said Winchester, could be an aftermarket stock, but it just seemed factory to me. I think it had a blind magazine also. Anyone tell me anything about it? Good deal? overpriced?

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The winlite fwts I have handled have had McMillan fwt profile stocks (Schnabel), pushfeed action, no cheekpiece, and no checkering. I believe they came with or without a floorplate and were made in the mid 80's.
I like them, a lot. Not sure they came in 7x57, but if I found one in a McMillan in 7x57 with a fwt barrel in decent shape, I wouldn't hesitate if the price was reasonable. At 560 in Canada I'd jump on it, fast.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Almost impossible to say without seeing it. They did make some with McMillan stocks on them. If so it is a steal. There was a company called Garrett Acculight that also made fwt pattern stocks back in the 80's. They are out of business now, but they made good stocks comparable to Brown Precision. If a true "quality" aftermarket stock it is also a steal.

They also made some in the 90's with a cheap injection molded stock and there are some cheaper aftermarket stocks available. If it is a cheaper stock the price is a little too high, but not unreasonable. I don't know were you'd get a new rifle of that quality for $560 even with a tupperware stock.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
204guy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the info guys, it is a Shnabel style stock with no cheekpiece and no checkering. If I pick it up I'll post some pics.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
One day at a gun show, I saw what looked like a Winchester M70 FWT with a synthetic stock chambered to the .270 Win. Guy said the rifle was "extremely accurate" and the price was $400 scope and all. It came home with me. I bought a couple of 150 gr. power point boxes of Walmart Winchester ammo and took it to the range. The dude had said it was sighted in at 100 yards and was accurate. Oh yes it it was. shocked The first five shot group at 100 yards was .50". I let the barrel cool ans shoot three more five shot groups, again letting the barrel cool and the last group was the largest at .80", probably because of barrel fouling and me getting tired.
On closer inspection, that rifle was marked XTR and had a 24" barrel and was not a FWT, just looked like one. No matter it's still a keeper. Mine does not have a blind magazine but my M70 push feed .300 Win. Mag. also has what appears to be a McMillan stock and it too is a tight grouper.
Methinks that 7x57 just might be a good shooter based on my two possubly McMillan stocked rifles plus I have a push feed 7x57 M70 FWT that is also a tack driver even with it's wood stock.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B2

204guy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Cool story PJ. Who in there right mind would ever let a 1/2 moa sporter weight rifle go?

Ended up picking it up. Definitely a fiberglass stock. Barrel is marked model 70 xtr featherweight, it's 22". Stock will probably be a good candidate for a paint job. She weighs 6.5lbs. Gonna order some privi loads for the brass. 150gr partitions from sps. Hopefully she shots and my wife will be able to use it to kill an elk this year. As a side note I'm done trying to trade rifles. Brought in a 260 a-bolt hunter, has been hunted, some dings in the wood. Metal perfect. Just wanted to see what they would give me for it. $250!!!, had to hold my composer to keep from laughing at the guy. Still have it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Few dings on the bottom of the stock otherwise in great condition.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Looks like the one I had in 30-06. Hard to get hurt at that price. Those stocks fit me best of any McMillan I have handled for a model 70.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
204 Guy,

I believe I have the same rifle, 7x57, Fwt M-70 XTR.

I found it at a show, in very good condition with a Weaver K4-1 scope on it. I was told the stock was made by McMillan. It also came with a set of dies and 200 cases, mostly once-fired.

I had never seen one of these before. I was looking forward to getting another 7x57 since I had given up on an older, tang-safety Ruger 77 that had one of the poor barrels. I sold the Ruger but missed the cartridge and still had lots of components.

I think you got a good deal. I paid $800 for mine with the scope, dies and cases.

This rifle has become one of my primary go-to rifles with 140 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips at 2800 fps with JB's load of 48.5 gr of H4350. Good luck with your rifle.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
204, Pretty much sure that's the "Winlite" stock. Those are considered quite the find.
John

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 12 invisible), 1,311 guests, and 801 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,241
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.