Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Good luck.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks! After seeing your post, Im thinking that I may be waaaay over thinking this.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Either method will work just take it until it is probe tender as BOWHUNR suggested and it will be good.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
She's on and I don't plan on opening the lid until my Food Alarm rings on my PitMaster
wink

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
how long........ between fridge......... and smoker......... is key here....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
looking forward to its done.....but I'll be off moose hunting ...will check in Monday late.. frown.... or early smile

Last edited by atvalaska; 08/31/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only time I enjoy my backyard neighbors is when I have a brisket or pork roast on at sunrise!

Sean
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like you put that fat cap down. Good choice. You need to remember that when cooking on an egg your heat source comes from below so use that fat cap to protect your meat. Beef fat does not render like pork fat so you get little if any benefit from it.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Just getting up and going around here this morning. Went down to the garage to check on the Egg and this is what I found after 10 hours into the cook:

Pit Temp

[Linked Image]

.... pegged on 225. Right where it was set! smile

Food Temp

[Linked Image]

.... still have not lifted the lid to peek. I have my Food Alarm set for 195 degrees. Figured I'd try probing it then for checking it's tenderness. Or should I maybe check it before that? I have lots of moisture/condensation dripping from bottom vent so I'm hopeful that this thing will not be dry. sick

I'm going to just keep riding this thing out. If we can't eat brisket for lunch, we'll eat brisket for dinner. grin

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I want to tell all my Fire cooking friends, if you don't have a Temp Controller for your low & slow cooks .... you have gotta get one. RIGHT NOW! Seriously, it makes an all-nighter so dang simple. I caught a lot of flack about how ugly my PitMaster is but it just plain works! Not saying the others don't; I only have experience with mine. It is always pegged exactly on the temp I set it. It just amazes the heck outta me that a charcoal cooker can hold such a constant, steady temperature @ these long lengths of time. Pretty cool! My controller is so simple to use too. If you don't have one ... get one! wink

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Just pulled the brisket! It was roughly a 13 and a half hour ride in the Egg from start to finish; and that's hitting 195 degrees IT according to my food probe on my PitMaster. I decided to mix up some beef broth (probably not necessary) and dump it over the brisket while foiling. Really wanting this thing to be moist!

Here it is right before the wrap job. You're looking at the fat side which I placed down on the grill. Other side had a little more bark with a bit darker color to it.

[Linked Image]

Placed it in my trusty Coleman and wrapped with a bunch of heavy towels to fill up all void space.

Here she is all FTC'd.

[Linked Image]

Now, when do I pull it and slice this sucker open? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
was the meat like jello/done ???? its going to keep cooking in the cooler...watch out!! I would pull from cooler and rest in a foil pan ...inside a sleeping bag set up ... surf trhe web on "resting meat " ...as in the cooler u are still cooking....

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
It felt pretty firm. It didn't want to break apart or anything when I handled it. Kinda why I decided to set my Food Alarm for 195 to allow for a good rest period while FTC'd. I notice lots of folks cook them to 205 IT. I plan to go about an hour and half or so this way ... then it's chow time. Who knows??? Might be a total disaster! crazy

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Looks good in the picture. How was it?

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
..... lotsa room for improvement. blush I'm probably my biggest critic though.

Point was very tasty & moist! Flat .... not so much. It dried out on me. Makes me wonder if I should try foiling during my cook next time. Also, it had good flavor but there wasn't much of a visible smoke ring. I put a pretty fair amount of smoke wood and chips in before the cook and that has me kind of puzzled. I've always gotten good smoke rings with my cooks on the Egg up to this point. Oh well! Guess I'll have to try another one. Lol!

Anyway, good or bad I need to produce a money shot soooo here you all go! Happy Egging!

[Linked Image]

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Looks pretty good. Foil are butcher paper will help retain moisture and shorten cook time.

I have done a few briskets on my Bubba Keg and never get a smoke ring like I do with a stick burner or pellet grill.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Sorry didn't read the whole thread but if you have dry brisket, try injecting first with beef broth/stock. I can do a hot and fast brisket and it never is dried out if I inject first.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, akpls, 13 invisible), 1,632 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,516
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.