-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey guys - I'm currently sitting on 8 resident preference points... and, like many others, I don't know how long it will take to draw the hunt that I initially wanted (Unit 61 Archery). According to the statistics, it took a minimum of 11 point to draw that tag in 2014 (and I suspect that 90% of the tags went to folks with 12 points). So, clearly, I'm a ways out from drawing that tag (6,7,8 years out?) I've also been considering other options, and would like your opinions to think about next week (while I'm looking for elk went in my standard OTC unit). The hunts that I am considering are:

- Unit 61 Archery
- Unit 61 Rifle (2nd or 3rd season)
- Unit 76 Archery
- Unit 76 1st Rifle
- Unit 40 (?)

So, what do you say? Keep holding out for 61 archery, or burn the points sooner on one of these other hunts? I will say that I am fortunate enough to be able to hunt an OTC unit 30 minutes from my front step, and we usually do fairly well (nothing huge, but we fill the freezer)... so waiting isn't really a huge deal... I just want a quality hunt with reasonable chances of shooting a 300(ish) bull.

GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ElKiller:

Each person has to make that decision for themselves. I'm currently sitting on 17 points for elk and when I started collecting points it took 17 points to draw the most premium hunt codes. Now it's up to 21 or 22. Just like you, I hunt elk every year in a so-so unit, and I usually go into the field with a cow tag and a bull tag. I've decided to continue to collect points and hope that point creep doesn't devalue what I've saved any more than it already has. I'm 66 years old and hopefully I will get to hunt in a premium unit before I'm too old to hike the hills.

Your age should be a factor in your decision. If you are young (like maybe in your 40s or younger) then you have a pretty good chance to get what you want eventually.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't know if you will see a change in the point program in 4 years, but for you, (OP) you can bet the point creep will mean you need 15 or so to draw that archery tag. There has been talk in the last few years of changing the program.

Even now there is that hybrid draw which is a slap in the face to those fellows like KC who have been drawing for 17years.

As long as you are young, less than 35, go for saving the points. Over 50 I'd say burn them.

I started to build points when I was 40, 22 years later I drew a tag in CO 201.By that time, the quality and number of bulls diminished from when I first started.

The premium units today, might not be that way once you get your tag.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I bow hunted 61 a few years ago, it was a great hunt. Bugling bulls everywhere. If it was me, I'd hold out for 61. It's big, lots of different areas to hunt, and easy access from roads and trailheads.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have hunted both 76 and 61 during rifle seasons. I saw decent bulls in both but did not see enormous record-book bulls in either.

I think the big consideration is what type of country you like to hunt. These units are very different from one another.

Much of 61 is low elevation sandstone canyonlands with ponderosa and scrub oak. The temperatures are very pleasant and you usually don't need much cold weather gear. You need to plan ahead to cool anything you kill due to the warm temps.

Much of 76 is high altitude spruce. You will have some snow. One outfitter I spoke to said that by 2nd rifle season he was moving his camps out close to trailheads due to the risk of getting snowed in. Lots of black timber hunting, above treeline hunting, and burn area hunting.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Much of 61 is low elevation sandstone canyonlands with ponderosa and scrub oak. The temperatures are very pleasant and you usually don't need much cold weather gear. You need to plan ahead to cool anything you kill due to the warm temps.

And if you stay up near the divide road, much of it is mixed evergreens and aspen groves, with a lot of grass mixed in. That's one of the things I liked about it, different terrain and vegetation types to choose from.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the comments fellas. I'm 33, so if tragedy doesn't strike early, I would probably be able to draw the 61 archery tag before I'm too old. On the other hand, it would also be possible to draw 76 twice in the same time frame.

Does anyone have any specific experience with the 2nd or 3rd season in 61? It seems like all the comments that I've read are for the Archery/Smoke Pole/1st rifle seasons. Perhaps there's a good reason for the lack of info.

Last edited by ELKiller; 08/25/14.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I archery hunted 61 just two years ago. Knowing and experiencing what I did there, I'd wait until I could draw it again if I were in your shoes.
Matter of fact, I am skipping out on archery hunting myself this year, because I have a co-worker who's friend drew an archery 61 tag and I volunteered to go with him just to help him call and pack. It's just that good and fun that I will skip my usual hunt, to go help someone else in 61.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Pick a hunt and cash in the points. With the "point creep", you'll probably never be able to draw the hunt you really want.

I'm sitting on 17 NR deer points, and realize that I'll never draw the hunt I've been waiting for (Unit 21, 3rd hunt), no matter how long I wait. I'll always be a point or two behind. Next year I'm cashing them in on a 4th rifle hunt.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ELKiller
Thanks for the comments fellas. I'm 33, so if tragedy doesn't strike early, I would probably be able to draw the 61 archery tag before I'm too old. On the other hand, it would also be possible to draw 76 twice in the same time frame.

Does anyone have any specific experience with the 2nd or 3rd season in 61? It seems like all the comments that I've read are for the Archery/Smoke Pole/1st rifle seasons. Perhaps there's a good reason for the lack of info.

I'll be able to give you first hand knowledge of 2nd Rifle in 61 by October 27.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hopefully with one less big bull in the mix.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
Pick a hunt and cash in the points. With the "point creep", you'll probably never be able to draw the hunt you really want.

Point creep is worse for muzzleloader and rifle hunts I believe. When I bowhunted 61 4 years ago, it took 11 points for a resident archery tag, IIRC.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef

Point creep is worse for muzzleloader and rifle hunts I believe. When I bowhunted 61 4 years ago, it took 11 points for a resident archery tag, IIRC.

You're probably right. This year it still took 11 resident points for that hunt.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It looks like the minimum PP requirement, for resident archery in Unit 61, has gone up 1 point every 2 to 3 years since 2003. If I play that model out, I would likely draw the tag between 2020 and 2022 (6-8 years out).

I would LOVE to bowhunt the unit, but I think I will scout it this fall during the 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons to establish whether or not it would be wise to burn the points next year. Afterall, If I did that, I would be back up to 5-6 points by the time I would have drawn the archery license.

BeanMan, I would love to hear how your hunt turns out. Perhaps I will see you up there. Are you planning to hunt the north or south end?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
El,

After scouting avery other weekend since May...I haven't made up my mind yet. Probably in the middle, down low. Blue ford truck, EagleCap 950 camper.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ELKiller
It looks like the minimum PP requirement, for resident archery in Unit 61, has gone up 1 point every 2 to 3 years since 2003. If I play that model out, I would likely draw the tag between 2020 and 2022 (6-8 years out).

I tried for a few years to draw an ML tag and was always one point shy, seemed like it went up a point/year for that one.

I finally just said the heck with it and bought a bow.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,847
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.