Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I uninstalled firefox and switched to google chrome with adblock plus. Night/day. This site was almost unusable with firefox.

Last edited by Calvin; 08/27/14.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Working on solutions here guys. Reviewing everything.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RickBin
Working on solutions here guys. Reviewing everything.

Could you please hurry up? Cumminscowboy is on the verge of quitting the forum!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Barak
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
OK KNOW IT ALLS WHY DO WE HAVE TO RUN SOME SPECIAL BROWSER AND SOME SPECIAL SPYWARE APP?!?!?!? WHY CAN'T THE SITE BE COMPATIBLE WITH ALL BROWSERS?? ONCE AGAIN I SAID THE SITE HAS SPYWARE YOU COMPUTER WIZZ'S CAN'T EVEN ARGUE THIS. I think it was this site that forced me to install malwarebytes. It would like my machine up, my whole freaking machine!!!

if the website is running right there should be no reason to run a special browser with pop up blockers and all the other bull$hit. I will say again the site needs to be fixed.

You're right.

Based on my experience with the site, I believe there's an infinite loop in the JavaScript on the page. If you load a page (without AdBlock, which--as everybody says, does solve the problem) and watch the status line, you'll see that a succession of websites are being hit over and over and over again. (Watch for the string "ad.lijit," for example.)

This means that your network bandwidth is being wasted, your browser is in needless contention for NIC attention with all the other applications on your computer, and your browser is constantly so busy downloading worthless data that it has less time to pay attention to you and your mouse, which is why the cursor flickers.

It's tough to tell just by looking at the JavaScript on the page, but my bet is that the various ad clients are misconfigured on the server in such a way that this loop happens.

AdBlock puts a nice big soft Band-Aid on the problem, it's true, but it's also true that there is a problem here that other websites don't have, and it should be fixed here, and there's no reason it can't be fixed here, if other websites have fixed it.

I'm on your side.

The most intelligent post yet. Informative and non Attacking I call that productive

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I want to browse the Campfire and all I have are browsers without AdBlock, a little trick I use is to wait until the page looks loaded and all remaining activity is confabulation with ad servers, and then I just click the little "abort" button in the address bar--usually an X or something--that makes it stop all network and JavaScript activity on the current page. That stops the loop cold, until you load the next page; then you have to click the X again. It's a pain in the butt, sure, but it makes the site tolerable.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

pahick, you might want to keep an eye on your blood pressure there buddy.

laugh I got a little pill here just in case it gets too far outta hand...lol. With 52% js content, might be a little careful with that there "inferior" browser of yours, dont want you to be the next thread starter on the subject wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
laugh

I should so start a thread.

"Grown men still play in the sandbox?" (See what I did there?grin)

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After a careful reading of this entire thread I've learned something important.
This site works fine for me.
It's still free.
I got no problems. grin

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1minute, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 54 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.