Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Link to my knife, work equally well on flounder, redfish and whiting. I haven't had the chance to clean specks yet. I haven't sharpened it in 2 years of regular use (just fish though)

Fillet knife

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Who makes the skinning device? Tried a search without results & zooming on the photo. Thanks.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nail that bad boy to a tree and get after him with skinners then filet the meat off the sides. Note, there is much good meat on the bigger ones ahead of the filets.. Catfish stew comes to mind wink

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by eyeball
Lakes full of shad like L. Livingston have fat blues and channels where we trim a couple inch wide 1/16-1/8 inch thick layer of fat off the skin side of the fillet. The blues are hard to eat if that isn't done as were those big really fat blues off the lake at LaGrange years ago. The fat can lay on the side under the silver after its skinned and you cant see it or hardly eat it at times, especially on blues.

We never worried about doing that off clean lakes like Buchanan or Rayburn and cut in steaks through the spine made some great eating.

The high fin blues on Rayburn can be unreal delicious.

Almost all big yellow cats need extensive fat trimming.

Got to where we caught blues at the lake here for fun and turned em loose. Water is so damn hot not much good eating comes out of that lake anymore IMHO.

Yellows have to be around 40 plus pounds in the river to trim much fat. But I would imagine lake ones might have more fat.

I love the cheek meat the best out of ones big enough to mess with.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Rost, I hope you some day get to try yellow cat out of the Neches River north and east of you.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nail that bad boy to a tree and get after him with skinners then filet the meat off the sides.

I always likeed to hang them off of a tree limb using stout wire and a hook. I made the hook from a tarp strap hook with a point sharpened on it. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once the fish are weighing as much as the ones you caught, I knock 'em in the head, turn 'em belly up, and cut the belly out in one piece. With an electric filet knife, you can start just behind the double belly fin and just around the edge of the ribs, up to the breastbone, then around the ribs back to the starting place.

You will have one big piece of meat with a separation in the middle. You "filet" each half, then "filet the silver skin off.

Then I either skin and steak the rest, or filet from the ribcage back in the conventional manner depending on the size.

The big rib bones are way to hard on electric knives, so even with smaller cats I filet from the big upper fin aft.

Cats up to 3 lbs or so are very easily skinned by making a few relief cuts in the skin first. Hold the head in L/H and use the Walmart skinning pliers in R/H. Then you can break the back just behind the big upper fin. Takes less than a minute per fish.

Like Pat said, they cook pretty good with the bone in.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
They cook good with the bone in. But its even better when a sloppy person filets em and leaves us the bones... with a decent amount but not to much meat on em. They fry up good and eat better.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Just like we do it, nail their heads to a railroad tie.

I use the same nail to skin frogs too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i just frogs in 2 with a hatchet. then take a good pair of pliers and skin him like you were pulling his pants down. grab him between the legs and jerk them down to his feet. chop of the feet.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i just cut frogs in 2 with a hatchet. then take a good pair of pliers and skin him like you were pulling his pants down. grab him between the legs and jerk them down to his feet. chop of the feet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my spike board is actually made of a rectangle of aluminum 1/4in thick ,its about 16in x 24in i drilled a 2in hole in it at one end. then i welded a spike to a flat piece of steel about 4in square. then i bolted the sqaure on the underside of the sheet of aluminum with the spike sticking up thru the hole. i figuer this way i can take the spike off to sharpin or replace it. i built it to last a life time. clamped down on a good heavy table it ain't moving.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Barbarians!! grin cool

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Once the fish are weighing as much as the ones you caught, I knock 'em in the head, turn 'em belly up, and cut the belly out in one piece. With an electric filet knife, you can start just behind the double belly fin and just around the edge of the ribs, up to the breastbone, then around the ribs back to the starting place.

You will have one big piece of meat with a separation in the middle. You "filet" each half, then "filet the silver skin off.

Then I either skin and steak the rest, or filet from the ribcage back in the conventional manner depending on the size.

The big rib bones are way to hard on electric knives, so even with smaller cats I filet from the big upper fin aft.

Cats up to 3 lbs or so are very easily skinned by making a few relief cuts in the skin first. Hold the head in L/H and use the Walmart skinning pliers in R/H. Then you can break the back just behind the big upper fin. Takes less than a minute per fish.

Like Pat said, they cook pretty good with the bone in.

I wish I could mentally picture that or see a video, Cur.

Have y'all gotten rain and are your quail coming back?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Sponxx

A good knife works wonders, I have a 7" W�sthof filleting knife my wife got me a couple of years ago for father's day.

My wife got me the same knife for my birthday or father's day a couple of years ago too. Nothing like it. I've been filleting fish for almost sixty years and never had a knife like that. Handle it very carefully, right out of the box. Fish come apart very easily for that knife.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Can't forget those catfish cheeks....they're up on top of their head. rub your thumb on top and you'll feel two soft spots and that's their cheeks. Just get a sharp knife and go around the outside of that covered hole and you'll have some fine meat a little bigger than nice size scallops.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I know ya don't need the stroke Andy but you're gettin it anyway. Its good to see a man doing right by his kids. Best to ya'll.

Enjoyed the blog.

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the help gents!

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Fillet them from the rib cage back and leave the skin on. Layer them with a salt, pepper, brown sugar mixture sprinkled on the meat for a day or so in the fridge. Then cook em in the smoker or the upper rack on the gas grill. The skin keeps them together a lot better, you don't have to eat it. You'll like the results I bet. 1 to 3lb's are better, but I eat a lot of bigger ones in the spring skinless and fried. Marty

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Marty

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.