Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a nice, hand rubbed, oil-finished black walnut stock (which now has a butt plate nicely fitted to it wink). Can you guys recommend a wax that is suited for waterproofing an oil finished walnut stock? Or is waxing the stock unnecessary? I'd like to use something that will not compromise the beautiful color of the wood.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Jordan

Last edited by RobJordan; 08/28/14.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use carnuba wax.
I think Mother's has some that will work without changing the way the wood looks.

The can i use is about 30 years old,i found it in an old hardware store.
You would think waxing the stock would make it slippery but the exact opposite is what i have found.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use Birchwood-Casey stock wax, easy to apply, but if the stock gets wringing wet, no wax is impervious to keeping moisture out.
It needs periodic application to get the best results.

Cheers.
grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A mostly carnauba wax wears better as it's a harder wax. Also being harder it doesn't show smudges from handling like a general purpose paste wax (i.e. Minwax). I like the R. Gale Lock. Co carnauba gun wax Brownell's sells. guaranteed nothing in it like silicones that could adversely affect a stock finish. A little spendy for a small can but a little goes a long way.

But not like I did a DYIguy test of all products or anything close.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just avoid car waxes with their silicone additives and you will be fine.

Bri-Wax is my favorite, but there are many good hard waxes out there. Plain old Johnson's works well but wears off quickly and feels gummy.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah. And one reason I like the R. Gale Lock Co. wax, no gummy feel and it's more durable. Have been known to use Minwax Finishing Wax which is on par with Johnson's on my rifles with lesser grade stocks.

And I should've added no big deal if, particularly a soft wax, picks up dirt and turns dingy and grimy. A light rub with mineral spirits moves it all to your paper towel. Won't harm an oil finish. Just that and a wax can do wonders to something like a truck gun. I'll do that when I repair someone's old beater that was handed down a generation or two, usually hardware store grade and not worth a gunsmith's time. And oh man do they smile.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Back when I felt that the sun rose and set in oil finishes on gunstocks, I actually did a couple by skipping the oil entirely and went straight to the finishing wax (Butcher's in this case). Multiple coats, followed by lots more over the years resulted in finishes that are very pleasing and I daresay offer as good, if not better, a moisture barrier than if I had oiled the stocks first.

Now I prefer a barrier finish such as spar varnish dutifully applied to achieve a smooth hard finish, then rubbed out to kill the shine, then waxed/buffed to restore it to a soft luster. Wax be's your friend.

The only things I "oil" as a matter of course anymore are objets de arte made from cherry, but then it's usually with a "secret" blend of pure tung oil, varnish, and beeswax melted together- applied hot, wiped off, buffed when cooled/dried.

Edit to add: heating that concoction is probably not doing either the oil or the varnish any good, but since these things don't have to withstand outdoor environments I don't see the harm.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/29/14.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Trewax. Designed for use on wood floors. Contains carnauba. I've used the stuff on walnut stocks for 25 years. Works great.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
In a pinch, I've actually used Sno Seal. Worked quite well.

1Minute
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Renaissance wax or old fashioned J&J paste wax. Nothing but wax in either of them. They work well for protecting the metal in normal cold weather use.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.