Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have 11 Leupolds along with a couple of other brands. The Leupolds have all held up over the years without any issues. I do know that Leupold will back their products like few other companies. They will fix it free of charge if it really is a scope issue. I once purchase a used VX11 at a gun show that had been fairly well abused. I call the factory and asked about the warranty and explained I had purchased it used. The guy replied "we made it didn't we?" You can buy more expensive scopes but I doubt they will be more durable or better supported by the maker.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like Leupolds, but fixing them is not free. The charge just happens to be added on when you buy them...

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 26 Leupolds, but I am only intimately acquainted with half of them.
[Linked Image]
The only problem I have seen with aiming was a temporary backlash in windage on a Mark IV 8.5x25x50.
That is like backlash on a mill, a lathe, or a guitar tuning machine head.
In the M55, my father designed a split gear spring loaded that eliminated the backlash in aiming. That is in a worm gear. But the Leupold is good enough with two turrets and a spring to usually keep backlash out of the turret screw. If you ever did have backlash, back off counter clockwise and work up to the adjustment clockwise, like you would when tuning a guitar.

I take tools and fix my rifle builds and fix other people's problems at the range. More than half the time my problem and other people's problem is loose screws that fasten the base to the receiver.
The symptom is two shots over there, and two shots over there.
I don't know why it is never the ring cap screws.
I don't know why it is never the rings to base clamp.
I don't know why it is never the scope that failed.

Sometimes the scope was not mounted close enough to parallel with the bore, and the scope runs out of range before windage or elevation can sight it in.

The point is.. it is almost always those base to receiver screws.
Clean them. Clean the female threads in the receiver. Put loctite in them. Torque them.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 1badf350, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.