Print Thread
Hop To
R
redfoxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have a Rem 700 AK Ti in 300 Win Mag, 100% factory original (no modifications). I've had the rifle for several years, and have cycled hundreds of rounds through it flawlessly and have never had a problem with it until recently. Here is the issue I am seeing� I load the mag with three rounds, as per usual. After I fire the first round, and open the bolt to chamber the second round, both the second and third round pop up from the magazine box. In other words the second round is not stopping under the feed rails to let the bolt head push the second round free of the feed rails. So in short I have a single shot rifle now. I grabbed a spare (new) Long action magazine spring and tried to squeeze the corners of the spring to compress it and lower the spring force, but that has not worked. The bottom of the feed rails are clean and free of any oils, so that's not the problem. Oh, and it does not discriminate on brass (bare brass or nickel plated brass act the same way). Any one ever experienced this issue, any advice??? This is a problem as the gun (its my son's rifle) and it's supposed to be going on a Colorado third rifle season elk hunt in November. HELP!

Thanks,

Foxx...

God Bless America!
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Is the original follower catching the spring completely on the underside? There's nothing that can just up and break besides the spring, follower and their relationship. Look for a clean mag box, and fully seated spring. Beyond that.....is the spring going flat?

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
R
redfoxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by high_country_
Is the original follower catching the spring completely on the underside? There's nothing that can just up and break besides the spring, follower and their relationship. Look for a clean mag box, and fully seated spring. Beyond that.....is the spring going flat?

Thank you. I've given all of those suggestions a good look see and they are all (or appear to be) in normal operating condition. I've tried a new spring, and even tried compressing, and then stretching the existing spring and none of that has any affect on the double feeding. Also, the mag box is not trapped or crooked and is seated as it's supposed to be (but just a tad lose as it should be). So in other words the usual suspects don't appear to be causing this one�

I'm at a loss�

God Bless America!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Have you tried a diff mag box?

How does it function with only two down?

R
redfoxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks, and yes, tried another mag box out of one of my other belted mag (7mm Rem Mag) 700's, and same issue. When I load two, the first one cycles fine and the second skip feeds as I'm ejecting the first one. By skip feed I mean it pops up past the feed rails� only the first round feeds properly. #2 and #3 are no-good. Intuitively you would think that means the follower spring is too strong, but even when I "limp" it out, it does these same thing. It's almost like the tension of #2 and #3 are holding #1 fast under the rails, but once #1 is ejected it all goes to hell in a hand basket. Wierd.

Last edited by redfoxx; 09/11/14.

God Bless America!
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Has the stock been removed at some point for cleaning or other issues?
I would remove the stock and check for any binding or foreign objects interfering with the mag box. It sounds as if the stock isn't sitting correctly on the action.
I had a similar problem some years back with a twig being jammed under the stock, it would move with recoil and jammed near the recoil lug, caused all sorts of issues, didn't discover it until arter loosening and tightening the scope rings and bases, checking the floating etc, then finally removed the stock and found it! It rrove me insane having a rifle that shot clover leafs and then suddenly wouldn't group into 4"!

Anyway have a look for any binding ANYWHERE especially with the follower where it rides inside the mag box, have seen a rifle go from functioning fine to abysmal from just the floorplate being slightly twisted from being knocked. Also look at the floorplate hinge pin, it may not be seated flush, causing the floorplate to be misaligned more on one side than the other.

Cheers.
grin

R
redfoxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
416Rigby- thanks for the thoughts, I'll take it apart this weekend and see what I can find by running through the checklist you've provided. Thank you for your input, I'll be back with a progress report in a couple of days.

God Bless America!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
This topic has come up several times and recently this link was posted. I found it very informative.

http://asrealasitgets.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=78464&page=1

R
redfoxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks woods Walker, that's a great thread� I'm going to follow these pointers and see what the result is later today, will post what I find then. (BTW, Nice thread by Big Stick). Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Thanks again,

Foxx

God Bless America!
R
redfoxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Ok, the problem seems to be solved. I followed Stick's advice in the attached tutorial provided by woods_walker and opened up the mag box to take advantage of all of the "latitudinal" space. Now the mag box is opened up a lot more, especially along the back half, offering the top of the round more purchase under the feed rails. Took a little tweaking but it now cycles each round independently, allows for full ejection and smooth feeding on round 1, 2 and 3� thanks for all the advice and help guys, greatly appreciated�

Foxx

God Bless America!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot of good info in the referenced post. Thanks for sharing it.

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 70 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,211
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.