Campfire Outfitter
G
Yup, Thanks!

Phil

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northwestalaska
The first step needs to be Parents being Parents. Once you have achieved a majority there, the other[worthless POS teachers]

I am going to agree with you on parents being parents and taking responsibility for their children's behavior. - - Taking a swipe at teachers/school is easy for the angry old men of the world. When was the last time you volunteered or help out in a 3rd grade classroom? Stop being angry and get involved. Make positive change from the inside rather than stand on the outside and just scream! Spending a few hours a week as a volunteer at your local school will help you curb your pissy attitude and make some good kids happy to!

I am a happy old man, and I am more than pleased (actually, reponsible) and qualified to take a big swipe at teachers and schools that are lousy - and many are - and it is not always easy to make that swipe. I also am more than pleased to support the excellent efforts in some schools, and do so heavily.

You should never assume that everyone who critiques public education here is an angry blowhard. Some of us have worked in those trenches and have volunteered in schools more than you ever would imagine, and one of the biggest problems extant is that important people - in local districts and nationally - pander to administrators/unions/politically driven board members instead to dealing with the mediocrity and failure realities. If you have known great teaching/learning performance, you can know the opposite. (BTW - not every volunteer in the schools is beneficial to the effort.)

I agree with the need for all parents to take responsibility for the behavior of their children - under ALL circumstances, not simply in school. I also believe just as firmly that all parents should take responsibility for the policies/conditions/and actual quality of teaching done in their kids' schools by being strongly involved with the school boards and demanding excellence in their school systems. Neither of these behaviors seem to happen in many school districts in 2014, but there was a time when they did - and that made a tremendous difference.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
It's Walt. He always talks out his ass.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
+1

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
FORE!!!

smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Some of the supposed teachers in the teachers' union don't have any real teaching experience even though they have occupied space in classrooms

Really? We live and die by district-wide (100,000 students, nine 5-A high schools) benchmark and statewide end-of-course test scores around here. What's on the tests? That's public info.....

What's the teacher teaching in any given week? Districts require that teachers have to put that out on their own school web page too, referencing the parts of the syllabus (also public info) covered along with digital copies of all materials given to students and a schedule of when assignments are/were due. Birdwatcher

Yes, REALLY !! Birdie, what you present above is good, and telling, perspective. However, thoroughly mandated curricula, detailed syllabi, specified and standardized testing to rate schools and teachers, etc., etc. are MECHANISMS (and often propaganda) dealing with what is supposed to be done. But, it is not teaching - any kind of teaching, good or bad - and you know that because you are a very good teacher.

None of the mechanisms/standardization, or requirements, or rating reports are responsible for making folks into teachers. I have been fortunate to have known and worked with fabulous teachers. Yes, there are teachers who have been in classrooms for many years and yet have little or no teaching experience, because they actually have taught little, or none. I have seen them in inaction. So has the union.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

I am a happy old man, and I am more than pleased (actually, reponsible) and qualified to take a big swipe at teachers and schools that are lousy - and many are - and it is not always easy to make that swipe. I also am more than pleased to support the excellent efforts in some schools, and do so heavily.

You should never assume that everyone who critiques public education here is an angry blowhard

Yes and please qualify how you are you rate on the big swipe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Much like dearly departed Gene did for LEO's, you set the efforts of good teachers back significantly by your inability to type a coherent sentence along with your continued swipes at only 1 part of the problem in gov't, it only adds to the impression you give most of us here, of you, as an addled, goofy lil prick.

Do you ever read the stuff you type?

Last edited by 2legit2quit; 09/11/14.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
He's stoned immaculate. Libs just open their mouths and stuff comes out.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northwestalaska

You should never assume that everyone who critiques public education here is an angry blowhard

Yes and please qualify how you are you rate on the big swipe.

"qualify how you are you rate" ? Maybe I can write?

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,930 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.