Print Thread
Hop To
B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
So I am going to either re barrel mine to a slimmer contour or turn down the barrel or something . I have shot one bear with it and worry if I fall off the boat on the way to shore it will drown me ! Wonder what they were thinking putting that heavy of a contour on them? Recoil mitigation? Any way was wondering if anyone has done anything to reduce some weight on theirs? The action is beautiful on a positive note , so getting rid of it is out for me.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Some guys here have shortened the barrels on these rifles. I'm thinking dirtfarmer has one that's been shortened...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The barrel is heavy because Winchester used the same contour for the 375, 416 and 458. The contour isn't too heavy for a 458 but it is a pig in 375. Using a single contour saves money.

B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I think they missed the mark , but understand the dollar side , ill figure something out. One of the slickest actions I have ever owned. I also swapped out to a extreme weather stock and one piece bottom metal. Once I get the barrel issue dealt with it should be about a perfect rifle for here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BCJR
I think they missed the mark , but understand the dollar side , ill figure something out. One of the slickest actions I have ever owned. I also swapped out to a extreme weather stock and one piece bottom metal. Once I get the barrel issue dealt with it should be about a perfect rifle for here.

Do you realize how funny that sounds? Swap out this, recontour the barrel, new stock, chop this, file that, the perfect rifle! grin

LOL
IC B2

B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I know , its like a disease that makes you feel good?! smile

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
But folks standing in line hoping winchester will make another stainless synthetic in a 375 h&h. Not that abortion stainless/laminated thing they came out with.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
PM 'Toad' here at the 'fire, he done a very nice bob job on a heavy M-70 in 375 H&H.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Do you realize how funny that sounds? Swap out this, recontour the barrel, new stock, chop this, file that, the perfect rifle! grin

The funny thing is that he put a 2x4 of a replacement stock on a pig, which doesn't do him any favors.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I would rather nurse a 30-pack of bleeding hemorrhoids than have a laminated stock on any dang thing. sick sick

Trump Won!
IC B3

B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The funny thing is that he put a 2x4 of a replacement stock on a pig, which doesn't do him any favors.

I guess I could re barrel to a MUCH smaller contour and put an edge on it? , McM. told me they didn't think an edge would take the recoil? I don't think of the Extreme weather stocks as 2x4's , To each their own I guess. For a working gun I think the E.W. B&C stock is fine. Things here tend to take a bit of a beating and the B&C was a vast improvement in my eyes over the Tupperware POS that it came with. Fits me pretty well and I had it laying around. Guess its just a tool to me , I tend to look at all my guns that way. I have a supergrade in 300 wsm im gonna sell because its just too pretty to take outside.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm glad someone likes the EW stock. Different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't suggest an edge for a 375 either, but a standard fill would work nicely and handle the recoil no problemo.... However, if you like the EW stock and already had it on hand it sounds like a win win situation. Now what are you going to do with that hefty barrel???

BSA MAGA
B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
sent it off to have it cut down and turned down and fluted. The smith I use is so affordable that this was a cheaper option than a re-barrel believe it or not. He has built many rifles for me and suggested it. After buying a barrel, threading , chambering,crowning ,installing sights and refinish I was money ahead using the existing barrel. I don't need it to shoot sub MOA at 500 yards, I just need to carry it through the brush without breaking my back.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
I would rather nurse a 30-pack of bleeding hemorrhoids than have a laminated stock on any dang thing. sick sick

Me too! ...wait...

LOL
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I'm glad someone likes the EW stock. Different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't suggest an edge for a 375 either, but a standard fill would work nicely and handle the recoil no problemo.... However, if you like the EW stock and already had it on hand it sounds like a win win situation. Now what are you going to do with that hefty barrel???

I like EW stocks as well...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Post some pics after your mods I would like to see it.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Me too! ...wait...

LOL, oops, it was late and I was tired, think I misread BSA's meaning of a 2X4 stock as being laminate. smile

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Gunner, now I have a mental picture that will haunt me for the rest of my life:)

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I would like to take this opportunity and apologize. eek shocked laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would like to take this opportunity and apologize. eek shocked laugh

That's a mental picture that a feller just CAN NOT un-see.........

eek

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

614 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,220 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,304
Posts18,449,089
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.