Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Moving this back up....sold my canoe so now I'm really in the market. Is there a best time of year to buy a used kayak? I've searched craigslist but can't find much in the way of sit-on kayaks for under $500. I did find one of the F&S Eagle Talon 12 with paddle, anchor, upgraded seat and small net that the guy said he'd take $450. Seems like a fair deal but I don't know what $450 will buy in a used yak.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A little less than a year ago I rented a Perception Tribe 9.5 (sit on top) for a weekend. When I returned it, I bought it. Price was extra good because the rental season was over, they'd have to store it until the following spring.
Earlier, I'd rented a recreational sit-inside, and I'd done some whitewater kayaking years ago.

I've been flyfishing on it perhaps 30 days since then, still love it.
50 pounds, fits on the car (foam blocks, ropes).
Haven't had a moment's impression that I might flip.
I've fought a few nasty winds, bow splash drenching me with each wave. That ain't fun, but I got back to home base each time.

I tied a pair of tennis balls on either side at the bow so I can lay my rod down without it sliding off. I glued on small, dense foam, pieces, cupped, at thigh distance, to cradle my paddle while I'm fishing. I made a retractable-dog-leash/tow chain drag anchor. And I glued on a ripple-foam patch to hold my used flies.
I can't think of anything else I need to customize.
(Carabiners and dog clips are my friends.)

$500 total; if that.
Me happy.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check this guys videos out, he catches a bunch of king salmon and halibut from his up here. He uses a Hobie Outback Mirage Drive kayak. Pretty cool vids. The boat is way above your price range but you might pick up some ideas about setting them up.

https://www.youtube.com/user/guidesak

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Old town fishing kayaks are stable and heavy (that's a point to consider in transporting roof top or to/from put in). I had the predator double with a single seat for bay and lake fishing. Wide kayak, tracked well, but heavy.

Settled on the Dick's brand old town single fishing kayak. It has places to install rod holders on both sides, a single anchor pulley system you need to rig front and back (it does make a difference to anchor bow or stern on based on the wind and tide when your out. It doesn't track as well as some based on the fixed seat and weight balance in the hull.

The ocean kayaks are great, expensive.

You really need to sit in a couple. Both the kayak and sit on top. The sit on top is too high off the water for my preference.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Go to your local academy and look at these

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old...55?N=670787849&Ntt=kayak&Ntk=All

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/perception-sport-pescador-12-sit-on-kayak/pid-981956?color=Red%2fYellow&N=670787849&Ntt=kayak&Ntk=All

(for some reason I can't get the link to work on the sit in model, but it is on Academy's website)

The sit on top is made from the same mold as this.

http://www.wildernesssystems.com/kayaks/tarpon/tarpon-120

The seat and a few minor details are different.

I really like the sit on top better. They are amazingly stable in rougher water.

Since your last post I ended up buying the Wilderness Tarpon 120 which is very close to the Pescador which sells new for $529. I considered the Old Town for $499, but after actually using sit in vs sit on I really like sit on better.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
I think I may get the F&S Eagle Talon 12 used from a guy on craigslist. It's only been used 4 times according to him and he's throwing in a paddle, 10# anchor and he's upgraded the seat. $450 is what I can get it for. I don't think I will find anything significantly cheaper. Thanks for all the input and I'll post some pics up after I get it.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Get that Eagle Talon. I don't have one, but when I saw those at Dick's a while back i decided it was a pretty complete and well-thought-out fishing package for the price (which was a lot more than $450, right?). Maybe not for paddling out to the oil rigs, but for what you're talking about doing - about perfect. Don't discount the handy size and weight, either. You're more likely to use it if it's not a pain in the butt to load/unload. Just buy it and go fishin, man. If the kayak thing suits you, you may end up upgrading soon. Or you may just use that one til you wear it out. smile

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I predict you'll love it. One of the major benefits of kayak angling is the silence; you can literally bump fish before they know you're there. Glide up to cover, drop a lure straight in and...THUMP!

The first surplus item in that list is the 10# anchor. Unless you are fishing white water, that's quite excessive. They make a little 1.5# folding anchor that's just about perfect for kayaks in still to slow water. Look up what an anchor trolley is and add one. It allows you to position the anchor tie-point anywhere from bow to stern, and that in turn allows you to hold the kayak in almost pointed in almost any direction.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Yeah the 10# anchor is excessive so I'll probably look into putting some heavy chain in a bike tube. That particular kayak sells for $550 then add tax plus a paddle and upgraded seat and it seems like a fair deal.

I love to fish inshore and can't wait to try and hook into a nice drum or trout. I'll probably use it duck hunting some too. At least if I decide it's not for me I should be able to get most of my money back out of it.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was in your predicament only 2 months ago......Bought a 10'-4" sit-in kayak from Dick's. My pal, who is a rafting guide and drift-boat fishing guide told me that it wasn't stable enough, and that what I wanted was an inflatable kayak. I tried one and it was a pain in the butt to paddle straight. Next I considered a pontoon boat. A good quality one is made by Buck's bags out of Boise, Idaho. Capable of class 3 rapids, and cost $900.00 complete with oars.
I answered an add in the local Craigslist for the exact model that I was looking for (the Southfork model) and found one advertised for $450.00.It had been used a total of 2 times in lakes, and came with a BUNCH of extras. The next day I answered another add for the same boat, but a little more used, for $200.00! I bought both of them, and now my wife and I each have a pontoon boat.
These are really user-friendly as a fishing craft, and when you row them like a drift-boat, they go straight. We intend to use them to float the lower Clackamas River, which has a few barely class 1 rapids.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Paddleswap.com is a geographically based classifieds search engine that's helped me find a few canoes and kayaks cheap. Deals can pop up anytime, but I've always found the best deals in fall and winter

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
It really depends on what makes you comfortable. I like SOT vs. Sit in. It just give me more room. Make sure there are skupper holes. this allows the water to escape from the boat as you paddle. I have fished bays, rivers, lakes and the gulf.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have owned half a dozen kayaks over the last 6-7 swapping and trading owning both the SoT and the SinK. I find the SinK kayaks generally narrower to length and more efficient to paddly. The SoT are easier to manage fishing equipment from.

I enjoy float tripping and camping so have had 14' craft for gear. Right now I have one sit inside, two solo canoe and a tandem canoe.

If you have an Academy neat the Pescador is from the old Wilderness Systems Redfish molds and the Heritage is a good craft with both in your price range.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Like JMR40, I have had a Tarpon 120 for 3-4 years now. I originally wanted the 10' but they didn't have it in stock and I am impatient.

I have fished some rivers, but mostly small lakes (300-500 acres). I put a fish finder, rod holders, etc on it. Been using a drift sock lately and what a game changer.

I think the hardest part for me at first was trying to cast sitting down with your legs out. I also use much shorter rods now in the kayak, I find it easier to land fish.

Don't skimp on a paddle either. They can get pricey, but IMO worth it if you are going out all day or any kind of distance.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Heritage used to call the Angler a Redfish. I had one for a few years. Good fishing platform on flat water. Decent in Class I. In Class II, which they rated it for, it would put you in the water. Great initial stability; zero secondary stability. If your gonna fish flat water it's a real good choice. If you're gonna fish moving water you might want to look at the Native Watercraft boats.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
We'll I picked up the used Field and Stream Eagle Talon 12 today. It needs handles on the bow and stern but otherwise it's in great shape and has an upgraded seat which was the main complaint I'd seen and read. $450 with the seat, Carlisle day tripper paddle, anchor and folding net seemed like a fair deal.

[Linked Image]

Mini Me couldn't wait to "help"

[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
The maiden voyage wasn't a success in that I caught a bunch of fish (none to be exact) but I stayed upright and dry so that's a plus. I took it out Saturday for a late evening off the Pamlico River to target some trout/drum/flounder. The wind was blowing about 10-15 and had a slight chop, even in the creeks. Hindsight but I should have went to a more protected creek for my maiden voyage. It's a lot of work trying to keep the yak turned right with the wind and fish at the same time. I totally see now why guys love the Hobie's and other propel drive boats...much easier to fish. It's definetly going to take some practice but once I get it down I think it's going to be fun.

For anyone interested in the Eagle Talon kayak, the one real complaint I have so far since mine already has the upgraded seat, is that the rod holder is too far forward. I'm going to have to do something about that in the future. Other than that it seems to be fairly stable, tracks pretty well and paddles easily. It seems to be a good beginner yak.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the best thing about kayaks, if your hungry, you can always run over a kayaker and circle back around and pick up the granola bars as they float to the surface......

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by HuntKY
the best thing about kayaks, if your hungry, you can always run over a kayaker and circle back around and pick up the granola bars as they float to the surface......

Or, you might circle back and get a belly full of 220 hard cast... grin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

608 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,039 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,267
Posts18,448,289
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.