Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just ordered LE Wilson dies for 7MM-08 and 308 Win for the Sinclair Arbor press.
Does anyone use one of these and what size neck bushings do you use for either of these two chamberings?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

HR IC

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Neck bushing sizes will depend on the brass you're using.

For example, with 308 Win. you can wind up using .330" for a thin batch of WW up to .336" for typical Lapua, and even .338" for a thick batch of Lake City.

GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So I haven't loaded the first round as of yet... I have nothing to measure except an unfired round at the neck.

I ordered the .307 for the 7-08 and the .335 for the 308.

I guess we will know more after I try these.

Geo

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What 308 brass are you using?

If you measure a loaded round at the neck, subtract .002" from that number and that should be a good start.

GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I measured Federal loaded ammo, came up with 338 subtracted 003 to get 335.

I figured I'd like to have it too tight than too loose.. Hell yeah.. I digress...

Who determines what size a FL Sizing die sizes the brass to?

Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If that's the brass you're using, you'll be fine. .335" would work with Lapua and the Hornady I have too.

Conventional dies, neck or FL, are made to put enough squeeze on the thinnest brass you'll potentially come across. Therein lies the rub: most of the time the die is squeezing brass more than necessary, and then the expander ball is left with the work of bringing it back up so the hole in the neck will be the correct size for seating bullets.

GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks MM. I'll see what happens now that I better understand the process.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another little thing that will come up will be that different brass sizes a little different. Your bushing may say .335 but the finished product could measure .334,.336,.333 etc. One bushing usually does not quite cover it.

I do like the bushing dies but they are not quite perfect.

GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There is where I am hung up... how to know when you have the correct bushing. I'm sure all three rounds you mention will chamber and fire.. and I am not planning on limiting myself to one and only one brand of brass and certainly not planning on buying a truck load of bushings at $15 a pop..

Thomas Jefferson

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
For each brand, or even each lot of brass that you're getting ready to load up, measure the case neck thickness. Multiply that number by 2, add the diameter of the bullet, and then subtract 0.002. That's what size bushing you'll need.

You can't expect that one bushing size will suffice for any given cartridge, but two or three sizes should do it.

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
IC B3

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you turning your brass?

Dave

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RDW
Are you turning your brass?

That would be my question. If using multiple brands and runs of brass and a bushing die you are most likely going to have to turn necks.

If you have gone to the expense of hand dies and an arbor press you want to get the best you can get out of your loads. Cass prep including turning necks would be a given in my mind.

Being a cheap thrifty old fart I turned my own bushing and seating hand dies and made my press out of an antique bottle capper. Including my bushing and press I am into my hand dies under twenty bucks and they work every bit as well and Wilson.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have no plans to turn brass. I decided to go this route for the simplicity of it... Turns out it ain't that simple..

Oh well, there's still the Lee Loaders, and the CoAx in the box wink

Thomas Jefferson

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Turning necks and case prep are not that hard. Heck, with my little neck turner I could sit and watch TV... if I had a TV.

Give it a try, trim to length, deburr the inside of the flash hole, uniform primer pocket, and turn necks. Do a batch of say 20 then try them out with unaltered brass and see if there is an improvement downrange. You might find it is well worth your time depending on your rifle.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have used one almost exclusive for 15 years

Last edited by rickmenefee; 09/21/14.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (405joe, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 673 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,856
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.