Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hope this isn't a repost.

It's an HBO special called Terror at the Mall. I mentioned it in another thread but I think it merits it's own thread.

You can also watch it on YouTube, but I don't currently have a link. Sorry.

It's about the terrorist attack in the Kenyan Mall. But illustrated how easy it would be to have it happen anywhere. And how being prepared and carrying certain items is not being paranoid.

Aside from a concealed weapon, a few items we should receive training in and carry are at the very least, extra magazines, tourniquets, pressure bandages, occlusive dressings, etc.

I know we've all talked before about what we carry everyday and how. Just thought this could get people talking and the discussion could benefit someone.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've seen it on TV. Kenyan cop saves mother and kids, right?

pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yup. A lot of heros in that event. But a lot of failures. It took over 90 minutes for any armed response. That's something to think about while you're bleeding out. Or hoping someone will rescue you before the gunman gets to you

Last edited by pira114; 09/18/14.
pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Another thing to think about is that this was a gun free zone. In Kenya, that means they search you and the car before entry.

Didn't stop four determined attackers.

And imagine four sets of four at different venues in a city. LE and EMS would be almost useless for a long time

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We now need to carry a trauma kit to the mall?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by pira114
Another thing to think about is that this was a gun free zone. In Kenya, that means they search you and the car before entry.

Didn't stop four determined attackers.
Nope. All it does is advertize easy victim zones.

pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
We now need to carry a trauma kit to the mall?

Why not? Mine is small enough that I barely notice it in my small pack. Which goes everywhere with me.

I understand that it sounds like a lot to carry around. It isn't. But if you choose not to, I hope you never need it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why not body armor, too.. seriously, at some point we need to not be paranoid.

You literally have more chance of being struck by lightning while being eaten by a shark, than being a victim of a mass shooting at the mall.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Why not body armor, too.. seriously, at some point we need to not be paranoid.

You literally have more chance of being struck by lightning while being eaten by a shark, than being a victim of a mass shooting at the mall.

OK. I posted this for people that might care to do so. Not to try to convince people of anything. If no one wants to talk about it, fine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pira, EVERYONE is going to have to make their decision on course of action WELL ahead of any incident. Waiting for someone else yo be a hero is not going to cut it. Likliehood?? It always happens to someone else,somewhere else....until it doesn't. The Boy Scouts are quite right. Be Prepared.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In December of 2007 a nut job went on a rampage in the Von Maur store at the Westroad's Mall in Omaha. A year earlier my wife worked on the same floor, in the same department where four were killed. Three of the four were her friends.

Because of that and other factors like black kids walking arm to arm and going out of their way to try and make you walk through them, we have just avoided the malls. Amazon and small local merchants are a good thing. Even with a CCW I don't feel the need to expose myself to that bull$hit.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Or don't go to the mall...

pira114 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Or don't go to the mall...

Or the DMV, the grocery store, the local football/baseball/soccer game, movie theaters, county fairs, etc etc etc

It may never happen to any one of us. But if it does, it's nice to be prepared. A bit of (usually free) medical training can't hurt. And in any case, most of us are outdoorsmen, and it could come in handy after falling off a cliff or whatever.

Not talking about walking around in tactical gear. Most people never know I'm armed, have a couple tourniquets, and have extra mags. It's not that much to carry.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
sooner or later, there will be a terrorist attack on a mall, or on some other location where a lot of people are gathered.
I'm not sure that you can prepare for it, other than keeping up your situational awareness, and having a basic CCW package.
I'm not ready to start carrying a full trauma kit, and wearing body armor when I go to the grocery store. Yet. It may come to that. I have the chit if needed.

Sam......

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
In addition to the response time to the mall, will be the time lag where officers wait outside for the appropriate amount of back up to arrive before venturing in. Look at Columbine. Officers waited outside for a long time, listening to gunshots inside the school.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It was amazing watching the bravery and composure of some of the parents who saved children and babies out that massacre.

The one guy they shot multiple times hiding behind the elephant was just disgusting to watch. Effing cowards!

I say this, not with bravado, but with faith, that if that happened here in the states, you'd have more of the customers and the police force fighting those wackos way quicker than you did on that show. I mean we're talking HOURS before the police engaged.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have had an absolutely open border fore the last 40 years. Just wait around a couple of months and we will get to see our own version of Terror at the Mall.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 62 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.