Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Hey guys,

I just picked up a 336 RC in .35 Rem., made in 1955. I got in a very short range session and I am very pleased with it so far. I have it shooting 1 1/2" high at 50 yards. Where will it be at 100? I am shooting 200 grain Core Lockts. I am pumped to get this gun which will compliment my 336 RC in .30-30.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Scope or irons? If you're using a scope in high "see-thru" mounts, you're likely going to be hitting high at 100. Irons, you'll be pretty close but the only way to find out for sure is to shoot at 100.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I am using a scope with the see through mounts. I will shoot it at 100 when I get a chance. This rifle is in great shape and I still can't believe the deal that I got on it. It has an old Bushnell Scope on it that has a place for a battery that I guess allows the reticle to light up. I bet this scope is 30+ years old. It's adjustments seem crisp and I was able to get it on target very quickly.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I haven't shot a .35 so equipped, however a .308/.30-06 sighted like that would be around 6" high at 100. You got a nice rifle there, congrats. I'm not too fond of the see through mounts, but they were popular.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Your gonna love that .35 on whitetail. Puts a thump on them.

IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
As said above you really won't know until you shoot at 100yds.

I used these specs. A 2.5" sight height,BC of .224,muzzle velocity of 2080. I get 1.52"@50yds,3.13"@100yds,with about a 175yd zero.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hope you get it fgured out

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Probably going to be too high at 100. If I were you, I'd ditch the tall see through rings and mount that scope as low as you can. I prefer the leupold one piece base but the old weaver bases are very popular too. Just be sure to get the longer one that hands of the front of the receiver about an inch for better scope placement. If you want to be able to use the factory irons, there are several quick release options that let you remove or install the scope with no tools.

I have the leupold quick release on my Marlin 45-70 and it works very well. Evidently though the clearance over the base is marginal. Some people say they can't see over the base on some guns to use their sights but I can use them on mine just fine. I believe it's Warne who makes a quick release that works off the Weaver base which is lower and looks darned nice too.

By the way, you will LOVE that 35 on deer. It is fast becoming my all time favorite. Just be sure to by ammo any time you find it because it is seasonal and only available in the fall in many areas. Remington core lock 200 grain is THE gold standard for bullet performance but the Hornady leverevolution is phenomenal and most people I know like it a lot.

Last edited by DaveBulla; 09/28/14.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by DaveBulla
Probably going to be too high at 100. If I were you, I'd ditch the tall see through rings and mount that scope as low as you can. I prefer the leupold one piece base but the old weaver bases are very popular too. Just be sure to get the longer one that hands of the front of the receiver about an inch for better scope placement. If you want to be able to use the factory irons, there are several quick release options that let you remove or install the scope with no tools.

I have the leupold quick release on my Marlin 45-70 and it works very well. Evidently though the clearance over the base is marginal. Some people say they can't see over the base on some guns to use their sights but I can use them on mine just fine. I believe it's Warne who makes a quick release that works off the Weaver base which is lower and looks darned nice too.

By the way, you will LOVE that 35 on deer. It is fast becoming my all time favorite. Just be sure to by ammo any time you find it because it is seasonal and only available in the fall in many areas. Remington core lock 200 grain is THE gold standard for bullet performance but the Hornady leverevolution is phenomenal and most people I know like it a lot.

You are correct about Warne sir. Try to get the one piece aluminum base. It gives better ring spacing than the 2 piece steel bases and is plenty strong enough. That with Warne low QD's and you're set

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Thanks for the advice fellas. I am going to keep the see through mounts until after hunting season. So far the Core Lokts are shoot well and the Leverevolutions are shooting amazingly out of this old gun. Everything is a little high at 50 yards and about 5" high at 100 yards. My shots will be 40 to 70 yards so everything should work fine. It is interesting that the early made Leverevolutions shot like this in my .30-30, but the newer made ones don't shoot as well. I recently found that Federal Blue Box Flat Points shoot as well in my .30-30 as the old Leverevolutions did. I am looking forward to hunting season now that I have two kick azz lever guns to work with.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

352 members (17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 35 invisible), 1,566 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,665
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.