Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Right when I sat up, the deer, or elk, whatever they were, ran through camp across the draw and up the other side. Just then I heard the worst scream I ever heard in my life. I know what blood-curdling means now, and I get goose-bumps typing this . Right on the rim, something screamed again, and I stood straight up, popped off 3 rounds right at where I thought the lion was, and started hollering for all I was worth. I popped off another 3 and hollered some more.

I built up the fire, after that. blush grin

Sycamore

I have a few stories related that

All happened when I was a teenager.

1. one summer night I was laying in bed. I had a sliding glass door going into my room and had the door open with the screen in place. I was jolted out of bed by what sounded to me like a woman screaming in terror. I thought my neighbor , who had some mental problems in the past, was beating his wife. Turns out is a Bobcat ( I assume) but that noise it made was terrifying to someone in a dead sleep. Had some relatives come visit that summer and they brought their camper. They were in the front yard in the camper and it did it again outside their camper. Its scared the [bleep] out of them. They were running around the yard in whatever they slept in trying to figure out what was happening.

2. My dad decided he was going to raise rabbits one year so he got 10 or 12 and built some pretty heavy duty raised hutches about 4' off the ground for them. They had screen fronts made of galvanized steel mesh -not chicken wire - the 1/2"x1/2" grid steel mesh.

One night in the late fall - I know it was cold enough to frost, something came thru and ripped open that mesh on each cage, killed every rabbit and drug off 2 or 3 of them with it.

We decided to leave things as they were and bring in a game warden to get an idea of what did but he wasn't available until a couple of days later. That night, whatever killed them came back and got another 2 or 3 rabbits.

After that we got rid of everything.

3. That winter my father was in the living room and he called out to me to grab my gun so I grabbed a double barrel 16 gauge I had and went to him. He told me he just saw a large black cat walk up the hill across the street from us, so I took off after it. Of course there was probably a 5 minute delay between when he saw it and me getting out of the house.

Now I know everyone has heard a "black panther/jaguar" story but I found its tracks in the snow and followed the tracks until they went into a field. I lost them after that but it was clear this wasn't some figment of his imagination.

What I do know is some dog couldn't have done that, and I doubt a Bobcat could have.

Last edited by KFWA; 09/23/14.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Nate40
walking off a ridge after deer hunting real late one evening, you could barely see and i heard the weardest noise ive ever herd to my left, i turned and saw a blk bear 25yds from me. i drew my 44mag as i backed away. Lucky for both us he hent the other way.

Once rigeing 4wheelers about 2 miles up a dirt rd i came across a guy so i stopped to see if he was ok. best i can figure he decided he wanted my 4wheeler and he kept tryin his best to get me to follow him off into the woods. he was standing in front holding onto the rack of my wheeler. Finally i told him i needed to leave he said No your gonna get off and come with me.As unholsterd my beretta 96 and layd it on my lap i said No im I'm fixing to drive away.Thank god he changed his mind and let go and i drove off without haveing to take steps farther

What did leo say about that?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Not really strange or scary so take it for what it is.

Yrs back when vanilla scent was the rage as far as attractents went I had a sow and 3 cubs show up while I was sitting in a ground blind(just some limbs piled in a circle)hunting deer. The sow meandered down a logging road but the yr old cub and two newborn came right to the blind. The blind was tall enough I could hunker down below it. I did and just didn't move. I could actually here them sniffing the blind and caught glimpses of them through it. Could have easily touched them. This went on for probably 10 minutes or so then they wandered off. Thing is,LUCKILY,I hadn't sprayed the "Nilla Killa" I think it was called? Could have been an all together different situation if I had.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey, eyeball. Post up that UFO story you shared a couple years ago in a thread similar to this one.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Rovering
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by stxhunter
when i'm hunting the strangest think that happens is i don't kill something.

Until some Wookie shows up unexpectedly and ruins your whole morning...

[Linked Image]

They, now, appear to be an almost exclusively urban species. The hunting woods may be our best refuge.

Suffering Christ, that is one ugly woman.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
dont try to shoot a hog while you got a chick sucking on your tube snake...

Dude

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About 20 years ago I was hunting whitetail deer from a box blind. It was on a military installation where they dropped you off at your stand before daylight and picked you up at 10 AM. It was a drawing process so when your name was called you picked whatever stand was still available to hunt. Usually you got dropped off several hundred yards from your box blind so you had to carry all your gear with you to the stand.

Most of these box blinds were on the ground with camo netting across the back that you pulled aside as you step in. Naturally as you get close to the blind I turned my flashlight off and pulled the netting back to step in. Just as I did that I felt something fall from above hitting my right shoulder, sliding down my chest and resting on my boot. All I could think of was big snake. I was frozen in place trying to process what just happened, I very slowly reached into my pocket for my flashlight and pointed towards my feet. As the light tuned on I was very happy to see someones rifle sling that they had removed and must have placed above the door. I was now wide awake. Tom

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Hey, eyeball. Post up that UFO story you shared a couple years ago in a thread similar to this one.

Man Bruin, that's a lot of typing. I wish I could find and repost it. It was under a thread similar to this.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I was sitting in a big pop up blind in October a few years ago with my bow on the Jim Terry ranch 12 miles north of Ozona. I had set it up against a big concrete water tank about five -6 ft high and maybe 20 yards in diameter.

They are pretty common in the western parts of the hill country in west Texas. They often have walls 2-3 ft thick and filled with rock and cement and make great swimming holes in the eastern reaches of the great American desert and many ranches have them near the house and corrals and have had many kids take advantage of that. They are typically fed by windmills in caliche rock country.

I was semi dozing in the bind as it cooled down one cloudy evening while sitting in a low chair. I felt something moving over my outstretched boots about ankle level and opened my eyes to see a huge king snake. I guess my mind knew it was a huge rattler before I got the eyes open good and identified it and let me tell you, I scared the crap out of that snake or something.

I figured the racket would keep the deer away for the rest of that day.

Last edited by eyeball; 09/23/14.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This one?

Originally Posted by eyeball
A white weasel of some sort frollicking in the snow by my elk stand years ago, no.

I was watching the bobcat stalk up to the whitetail doe and 2 fawns as I sat in the live oak above them with my recurve Ben Pearson Hunter near Refugio, Texas in the late Sixties before my micro-flight 7(?) with a Ben Pearson Razorhead hit it in the neck at 7 yds., no , I forgot, it was when

Larry Wright and I climbed up in the big mesquite a half hour before daylight on his grandmas ranch on the fence that separated it from the famous O'Conner spread that ran from near Victoria to Refugio and down to near Austwell and Tivoli and Bayside in the gulf Coast.

We faced the Gulf and bays to the S.East awaiting daybreak and with my bow secured I shut my eyes to rest and hasten the misery of awaiting the experience of screwing up on getting an arrow in the chest of a big brush country buck heading back into the security of the essentially unhunted O'Conner Empire which rivaled the famous King Ranch to the south and east.

As I drifted into slumber brought on by the inability to sleep the Friday night before while getting gear tuned, Larry (Buck Wright) elbowed my left set of ribs and said, "Hey, what is that?" I was pissed as I opened my eyes looking SEast toward the bays and Gulf and saw a lighted area strung out a few degees long and just above the earliest rays of the dawn. I said, "airplane" and resumed my doze.

A few minute or two later Larry elbowed me and retorted, "That ain't no [bleep] airplane, look!" I did and saw the strangest sight a person could comprehend.

Coming directly over us were three Pastel white objects exactly the same color as the moon which was up and laying in the sky to the west and behind us and in the direction the three flying saucers were headed. They subtended an angle almost as large as the moon and each was trailed by a hazy mist I estimated to be about 5-7 times as long as the objects they emitted from. Theybwere not perfectly round but were slightly oblong. There was absolutely no sound whatsoever and as they passed by us by about 45degrees to the west they gently faded out of sight.

Later I deduced they had curved bottoms and had no lights we could see other than the reflection back to us from the elevated rays of the soon to rise sun to our east. As the objects circumvented the earth to the west, the suns rays were actually blocked from them by the curvature of the earth and they faded from view.

We looked at each other in amazement and each said, "Did you see that?" at the same time. It took me awhile to figure out what had happened and that earlier my dx of airplane was influenced by the fact that they were low and to the east and the reflection of them to us, and the hazy vapor or dust trail each left behind was colored and looked like 3lights adjoined due to the reflection coming to us through the lower atmosphere, and is what gives the perception of color to the yellow full moon seen just above the horizon.

As the dark gave way to dawn a flock of migrating geese passed over two apparent Neanderthals sat in a fenceline mesquite with bows in hand and neck hair on end, waiting on our previous dream of a dead buck and wondering about the relevancy of our importance in the great scheme of things.

I have told this story to only a handful of people on this earth due to the fear of ridicule some turds on the fire shall shortly henceforth spew, but, the OP asked and i told. Besides, I'm getting old and don't give a [bleep].

Naysayers can feel free to go back and research the articles from 'The Corpus Christy Caller" Sunday editions of October and research the Sunday news stories of all the airline pilots that reported the sightings of the UFOs passing buy on their early morning flight into and out of Corpus that early Saturday morning a long time ago, before I had ever killed a deer with my bow.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This happened about twenty years ago out near Forks,WA. It was reported by The Peninsula Daily News as well as in the Forks local rag, it happened on Halloween.

The story goes like this:

A hunter was hunting deer on Scull Mountain. He got lost and managed to find his way off the mountain, in doing so he came across the Skeleton of another hunter with his rifle across his lap and the skeleton of a nice blacktail buck. After he returned to his car he reported the find to the Clallam County Sheriff. Although they never found the Skeletons the Sheriff made the statement he believed the hunter as he was that rattled and he did actually see the scene as described.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Was out hunting one day and an engine chip warning light came on.

Been there, had that happen.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by eh76
This one?

Originally Posted by eyeball
A white weasel of some sort frollicking in the snow by my elk stand years ago, no.

I was watching the bobcat stalk up to the whitetail doe and 2 fawns as I sat in the live oak above them with my recurve Ben Pearson Hunter near Refugio, Texas in the late Sixties before my micro-flight 7(?) with a Ben Pearson Razorhead hit it in the neck at 7 yds., no , I forgot, it was when

Larry Wright and I climbed up in the big mesquite a half hour before daylight on his grandmas ranch on the fence that separated it from the famous O'Conner spread that ran from near Victoria to Refugio and down to near Austwell and Tivoli and Bayside in the gulf Coast.

We faced the Gulf and bays to the S.East awaiting daybreak and with my bow secured I shut my eyes to rest and hasten the misery of awaiting the experience of screwing up on getting an arrow in the chest of a big brush country buck heading back into the security of the essentially unhunted O'Conner Empire which rivaled the famous King Ranch to the south and east.

As I drifted into slumber brought on by the inability to sleep the Friday night before while getting gear tuned, Larry (Buck Wright) elbowed my left set of ribs and said, "Hey, what is that?" I was pissed as I opened my eyes looking SEast toward the bays and Gulf and saw a lighted area strung out a few degees long and just above the earliest rays of the dawn. I said, "airplane" and resumed my doze.

A few minute or two later Larry elbowed me and retorted, "That ain't no [bleep] airplane, look!" I did and saw the strangest sight a person could comprehend.

Coming directly over us were three Pastel white objects exactly the same color as the moon which was up and laying in the sky to the west and behind us and in the direction the three flying saucers were headed. They subtended an angle almost as large as the moon and each was trailed by a hazy mist I estimated to be about 5-7 times as long as the objects they emitted from. Theybwere not perfectly round but were slightly oblong. There was absolutely no sound whatsoever and as they passed by us by about 45degrees to the west they gently faded out of sight.

Later I deduced they had curved bottoms and had no lights we could see other than the reflection back to us from the elevated rays of the soon to rise sun to our east. As the objects circumvented the earth to the west, the suns rays were actually blocked from them by the curvature of the earth and they faded from view.

We looked at each other in amazement and each said, "Did you see that?" at the same time. It took me awhile to figure out what had happened and that earlier my dx of airplane was influenced by the fact that they were low and to the east and the reflection of them to us, and the hazy vapor or dust trail each left behind was colored and looked like 3lights adjoined due to the reflection coming to us through the lower atmosphere, and is what gives the perception of color to the yellow full moon seen just above the horizon.

As the dark gave way to dawn a flock of migrating geese passed over two apparent Neanderthals sat in a fenceline mesquite with bows in hand and neck hair on end, waiting on our previous dream of a dead buck and wondering about the relevancy of our importance in the great scheme of things.

I have told this story to only a handful of people on this earth due to the fear of ridicule some turds on the fire shall shortly henceforth spew, but, the OP asked and i told. Besides, I'm getting old and don't give a [bleep].

Naysayers can feel free to go back and research the articles from 'The Corpus Christy Caller" Sunday editions of October and research the Sunday news stories of all the airline pilots that reported the sightings of the UFOs passing buy on their early morning flight into and out of Corpus that early Saturday morning a long time ago, before I had ever killed a deer with my bow.

All Right Keith. You the man. Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's the one, Keith. Your Google-foo is strong. smile

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Someone above mentioned finding an old abandoned well. Found this one by chance a few years ago near an old dugout homestead. Way off the beaten track. Landowner was not even aware it was there.

[Linked Image]

Water level was about 30 ft below the surface.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Remains of the old dugout...those people were a tough breed!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would be fun to peck around that place with a metal detector...

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,503
Posts18,452,541
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.