Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Took the boy to the range again this past weekend.

Set up targets and sure enough, as we get back to the benches, another guy and young man show up. We dutifully wait while they stick up targets.

They choose to set up on a bench 3 down from us. There must be over 20 benches open there.

We shoot for about 10 minutes and couple older guys show up. They choose to set up on bench 3 and 4. We are on 5 and the guy and boy he's teaching is on 2. All the while there are at least 15 open benches on the opposite side of us.

When we are about to go cold so they could set up targets, one of the 2 older guys tells me the other is fairly deaf from shooting "a lot". I mention to my boy to make sure to keeps his ears on. The guys says yes, because John, the deaf one will be shooting a 300 win mag.

These guys set up targets and proceed to start shooting. I had my son move down a few benches for separation and have him shooting diagonally back at our targets.

John torches one off. The next shot I hear an exclamation and a moan. Look over, and john the deaf shooter has his head laying on the bench moaning. Not so sure he didn't bust the bridge of his nose.

Later on John bailed and his buddy remained right next to me shooting something large (300 mag maybe) with a muzzle brake right next to me. Then he transitions over to his 35 Whelen which I believe is also braked. The guy shoots, looks up just long enough to site with his spotter, leans back down, jacks a shell in, sites and shoots. This takes about 20 seconds. The guy does this with at least 20 rounds non-stop.

What the heck? Do people have no decency or courtesy?

Rant off.

Montana MOFO
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
No, they don't.

I had to stop into a wal-mart a few days ago. I have a new car and dreaded leaving it in the parking lot next to some beater vehicle where I know the owner will slam the door into the side of my new car. When I pulled in I was relieved to find a row with about 15 empty spaces at the end, so I picked the one at the very end and parked. When I came out there was some junker parked right next to mine with the next 15 spaces still open. Fortunately I didn't see any place where he'd opened his door into my side.

You can't win.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With that many open benches, and those guys shooting ported barrels, it would have been nice if they'd gone off by them selves down at the other end to say the very least. Was at the range one day when a guy showed up with a Barrett .50 BMG. He went down to the end by him self and did his range work on the 200 yard targets. Man, was that sucker loud! It started getting busy in there and the benches closer to him started filling up. He put it away and switched off to some smaller rifles so as not to annoy anyone. Those .50's really have a bark!

Last edited by gophergunner; 10/14/14.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Goes on all the time down here. It is all about ME in today's world, the hell with the other guy.

I go early in the morning and when the idiots show up I am usually done and leave.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The public range.....funny

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, kinda sucks. Sure do wish I had enough land to set up my own range and not have to deal with this stuff.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The stupidity of people truly is astounding and not confined to the public range. Although for whatever reason, a LOT of stupid fugging people are drawn to firearms and the allure of doing things outside.

Ball games and county fairs are also great for ascertaining just how fugged this country is also. And don't forget commercial flight, and of course my all time favorite... GUN SHOWS.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Yuma we have a wonderful set of different ranges; pistol, 1000 yard rifle, silhouette, black powder, etc. Trouble is there are no range officers or other supervisors, it is wide open to the public, just show up and blaze away. As you might image it is just insane out there, especially on the weekends. I wont go out there at all except when there is an organized shoot , too many nut cases.

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Wait till hunting season starts. The range officers dread the 1 time a year shooters.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Range officer? What's that?

[Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Range officers.....funny

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
eh76 and tedthorn, I hear ya, here's my personal 100 yard range:

[Linked Image]

No range officer here, either grin:

[Linked Image]

However, I also enjoy an organized shoot at the range with my friends, and we DO have a range officer:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
This range is generally used by pretty good group. More older guys who have some clue, usually. Just not in this instance.

Had we not spent the time plastering a few targets at the 25, 100, 200, and 300 yard backstop, we would have quickly moved. But, as it were, we grinned and neared it. Especially when the "experienced shooter" scoped himself.

Montana MOFO

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,072
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.