Are Tikka barrels butter soft?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
There seems to be a consensus forming... grin

Unfortunate for you posting here on the Fire, perhaps the worst place to get gun advice anywhere on the "WWW".

I would do a break-in if it were my rifle, but I'm sure the next guy to post will tell you about a witch's brew bore coat or the like.

Best advice I can give is find a site where common sense abounds instead of "Consensus forming...

Don's dumb brother.

Shoot the frigging rifle.

LOL.

Shoot it = break in. Especially if steel plates or animals are shot within the first 10 rounds.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well, I guess I'm the odd ball. I like to shoot the bbl in, why, well I've been doing it for fifty years so why change now. Does it help, who knows, between my Daughter and myself we have 5 Tikkas and one Sako. They all shoot sub minute especially my Daughters new Compact 7mm-08. Besides that, I just like to shoot them and I'm to old to change my ways.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
shot mine about 60 times- without cleaning- While sighting in and seeing what load was showing promise. Shot this group the following range session and declared everything 'broke in'. wink

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1Deernut; 10/17/14.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by bh444
what ever you do, NO METAL BRUSH.

Are Tikka barrels butter soft?

Just saying, Tikka and Sako both warn not to use metal brushes in their barrels.I'll heed to their warning.
Most of the time you here these break-in regiments they say brush 100X with lapping compound,smooth that barrel.
I say shoot.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used brass brushes in my Sako barrel for 20 years. No problem so far, though I have switched to Boretech Eliminator copper remover so had to switch to nylon brushes for the last year or two.

As for barrel break-in, I did go thru a procedure for the Brux barrel on the Tikka. Did it help? I have not a clue. Rifle shoots great but probably would have anyway.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't remember if I've cleaned a barrel yet this year.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shoot the rifle... after all "breaking in" is is....., ready for this?

Shooting the rifle!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Once upon a time there was a little old woman who liked to make stuff up. She lived in the far away land of "Wives Tales"

Every thing she said sure sounded good but she was full of schit!

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Most of the time you here these break-in regiments they say brush 100X with lapping compound,smooth that barrel.
I say shoot. [/quote]

Tikka barrels are lapped from the factory!

Shod

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look at how much it fouls as I believe a break-in procedure can ease the cleaning process for new barrels that fouls badly.

Pieter

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My Tikka was never put through a "break in" process. Funny thing is, it has never seen a rod either. I have used a Bore-Snake and Wipe-out since day one and it is the most accurate rifle I own. I clean every 40-50 rounds or so. I cleaned every 25 or so when it was newer though.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by m77
Look at how much it fouls as I believe a break-in procedure can ease the cleaning process for new barrels that fouls badly.

Pieter

Pieter,

Have you ever noted a tikka to be a barrel fouler? Neither have I.

Thats because match grade barrels machined to exact tolerances and then HAND LAPPED don't foul.

Shod

m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Shodd
Originally Posted by m77

Pieter

Pieter,

Have you ever noted a tikka to be a barrel fouler? Neither have I.

Thats because match grade barrels machined to exact tolerances and then HAND LAPPED don't foul.

Shod

Tikka T3 338 WM
[Linked Image]

Match grade hand lapped 338 cal Truvelo barrel
[Linked Image]

You will find that even some of the best barrel makers in the world puts out barrels that fouls (hand lapped does not guarantee it will not foul). I am not saying all of them do, but it does not hurt to observe each individual barrel and see what it needs to improve.

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 10/18/14.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have done both. Have had good results with both. And have had finicky barrels with both. At this point, I would just shoot it. The last Lilja I had chambered for .30-06 had 20 rounds down the tube before I cleaned it the first time. VERY little fouling (blue residue) even with the first patch thru the bore... Second patch was basically nil.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Shodd
[quote=m77]

.....Thats because match grade barrels machined to exact tolerances and then HAND LAPPED don't foul.

Shod

Really?

Someone should tell that to the Bartlein, Krieger, Lilja, & Hart barrels in my safe because all of them fouled when new. If you don't think that a "match grade" barrel will foul then you haven't looked very hard at one.

Tikka barrels are hammer forged. They typically shoot well but despite the marketing they are not "match grade". With a factory barrel I lean towards the " just shoot it" camp, but with a real custom barrel I take the time to break them in because I have seen that it does help to make cleaning easier in the future.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 243Win
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
I've seen this one before and if I had to guess I would say his name is Boxer on the campfire. Pretty intelligent guy!! Definitely has a few issues to work out that guy!!

Gonna try this with my new wood stock. should be just the ticket to get her broken in right. grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Never heard of breaking in a rifle until I came to this website...I've never "broke in" a barrel, and not EVER had a problem with it.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,127
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.