Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Got on the elevator with Bob Seger in Denver once, but wasn't sure till he came on stage several hours later. He put on an awesome show.

GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I've been to a few.

I went to some big rock & roll, mini Woodstock extravaganzas,..and I've been to see some big names in relatively small venues, but the one that stands out was a concert by Hank Williams Jr. somewhere back around 1980 or so.

He was hot back then and selling a lot of records.

The concert was in a big ballroom type affair in a 50's era hotel complex,..The Continental Inn,...here in Lexington, KY.

It was like a giant bar.

There were tables and chairs set up for everybody,..waitresses wandering through the crowd taking orders,...sometimes they even brought you what you had requested.

Hank Jr. is actually a very talented, very musically schooled guy.

He played with his band, and he did quite a bit of solo stuff while playing a piano.

Everybody was very appreciative and it seemed like Hank Jr liked the atmosphere of the place.

He worked very hard that night,....stayed out on stage for a good 2,...maybe 2.5 hours.

I got there very early with my date,..a skinny lil' blonde mountain girl that I was seeing at the time. We had a table right in front of the stage.

The door out of the place was in the back and it took us a while to get out after the concert was over.

A bunch of people was standing up congregated in front of the stage,..waiting to work our way to the exits after the concert had ended and the roadies were out taking down the equipment,...and one of them started hitting on my date there in front of the stage.

Kinda pissed me off,...but it was evident that the girl was flattered.

But you know,...I knew she was a hoe when I invited her to go to the concert with me,...That's why I did it,...*shrugg*,..so I really couldn't get too worked up about the situation.

Still,...I wasn't gonna let the roadie screw my date *that* night.

He was gonna have to stay in town and do it tomorrow.

*That* night,..*I* had paid for her drinks.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
The most memorable was Crosby, Still, Nash and Young in Milwaukee around 1974. They played in the old Brewers Stadium. They came out and played for a couple hours, then left the stage and came back out to do solos and all kinds of combos with one another. Then they came back and played for another hour or so and did 3 encores. About 5 hours long.

I've also seen The Grateful Dead and Yes, several times each, the Allman Bros, Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, Nuge a few times, Chicago, Boston, ELP, Grand Funk Railroad, KISS and the Pope the same day, and a whole lot more I can't recall just now.

I still go to concerts but these days they are all Christian artists.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've been to over 100 concerts, as a musician, and music freak I go all the time.

ONE of the best I've ever been to was SRV in the late 80's - after he'd cleaned up - at the Greek in California (a great small outdoor place).

The power of that band was off the charts. Just amazing.

The list of other great shows would take me a couple days to write.

Last edited by Paradiddle; 10/17/14.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Holy crap! I can't possibly remember 'em all. But, a couple stand out. Lynard Skynard opening for The Who in '72. WOW!! Hank Jr. at Monterey Fairgrounds in '85, Eagles in 2011 and Roger Waters in 2012 with whoever that was on lead guitar. Amazing player! Too many others to recall. Now, I just play my own guitar for the hell of it. Love Fender guitars.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've been to quite a few, the ones that stand out are:

YES, about 1978

The Police, 1983-84 Synchronicity tour

Neil Young, every time. The guy delivers.

Rush, early 80s. Really great band at that point.

Bob Dylan, about 7 years ago. His voice was shot but it was still fun and the crowd was into it.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by GunGeek
In the 90's (can't remember which year) I took my mom to see Ray Charles. He was backed up by the Sacramento Symphony conduced by David Ogden Stiers (Maj. Charles Winchester). That was a HELL of a show, and Ray Charles was quite predictably brilliant.

Late '90's I saw The Steve Miller Band at Arco Arena in Sacramento on a New Years Eve. 3.5 hour show and Norton Buffalo was with them; they played everything.

Also in the '90's saw Styx, Bad Company, and Billy Squier all at one concert; got my money's worth at that show.

RUSH - 2012 Clockwork Angels tour, in Dallas. This was the concert they made the video at; hell of a show. Neil Peart did not one, but 3 drum solo's, each were different, and each were mind blowing.

1982 - The opening concert of Journey's "Escape" tour, with Loverboy.

Early 90's saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. I was never much of a fan, but I'd go to another Tom Petty concert in a New York Minute. That guy knows how to put on a show.

And just this past Cinco-de-Mayo, caught Sammy Hagar in Lake Tahoe. 67 years old and that guy didn't pull or miss a single note; great show, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Norton Buffalo was bad azz. Saw him a number of times. Wet Willie and Elvin Bishop also put on great shows.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Al Dimeola , Rainbow Music Hall Denver '80.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
1) Probably Faith no more opening for Metallica and GNR.

Ozfest 98. Coal chamber, Sevendust, Tool, Motorhead. I'd seen Ozzie on the retirmennt sucks tour. Megadeath was there too, but Mustain was never the same once he cleaned up. The Van's warped tour was there as well. All in all, there were about 40 bands on multiple stages. The only band I'd ever heard of from the warped tour was Rancid.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Grateful Dead Barton Hall Cornell in 1977, Bruce Springsteen Giant's Stadium 2009, Crosby Stills Nash and Young Bethel Woods 2006, Peter Frampton Plattsburgh State University 1975, Jessie Winchester at Morrison Mansion Middletown NY 2006, John Fogerty Bethel Woods 2014, The Talking Heads SPAC 1983, Levon Helm Midnight Ramble at his barn 2008, and Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Revue Burlington VT 1975.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a concert per se but used to see BB King at a club in Dallas in the 80's. Absolutely amazing!

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
DAC at a bar in Athens OH.

MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Been to a few good ones but nothing will ever beat White Zombie and Pantera in San Jose Ca.. Both were monsters on top of their game and each put on a show that was pure brutal metal....
Nothing like being on the floor at a show like that.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hadn't been to very many big concerts, mostly local talent and Texas Music around central Texas, but we just went to see the Eagles on their "History of the Eagles" tour. Concert was in San Antonio. The show was great, they played for 3.5 hours. Bernie Leadon joined them for a number of songs at the start and toward the end. We were on the floor 7th row. Had a good time. 40+ years of making good music. You don't see many bands where all the members sing lead vocals on different songs.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Garth Brooks really put on a good show back in the day.

Also saw Shania Twain who was good, but she had a bunch of kids on stage with her out of the audience who were really enjoying themselves and will remember that forever. Cool beans.

Last edited by troutslayer; 10/18/14.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Back in about 93/94 we went to see The Smithereens at a small club in Houston called The Blue Door. It was fantastic. It was loud...but those guys could play the crap out of their instruments. And their vocals were equally good.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1971-2-ish Michael Nesmith, the Byrds, and Linda Ronstadt on the same show at Blackham Coliseum, LAfayette, LA. Ronstadt and the Byrds were great. I am pretty sure I saw at least 1 future Eagle in Linda ronstadt's band. Also, it was free with my college ID.

2. 2009 Eagles " East of Eden" in New Orleans, LA - about 3 hours of nothing but Eagles music.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Early 1970's ZZ Top at Kickapoo Cantego in Wichita Falls Texas. Early 1980's Hank Williams Jr. Casper Wyoming 2nd night. The first night was canceled due to storms. We had the center section 1st two rows and he played acoustical for about an hour before the band came out. Sometime in the 1971 (haha) Allman Brothers in Austin Texas. Lastly in 1979 Stevie Ray Vaughn in Soap Creek Saloon outside of Austin.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
August 1969 stationed in Norfolk Va. just back from the Nam. One of the navy types i knew asked if I wanted to go along to a concert some place in New York. I took a pass one of the decisions I will always regret.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bob Dylan at Davidson College in 2006

Eric Church, Kip Moore, Justin Moore in 2012

DMB in Raleigh in 98

Guster in 2003.

Ben Folds put on a pretty good show too

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (007FJ, 204guy, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 53 invisible), 3,154 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,335
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.