Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Reinforcing that "mysticism" is not a New Testament teaching...
Originally Posted by derby_dude
The Christian mystic like the Zen Buddhist doesn't rely on others to tell him what to think. The Church Christian on the other hand, like the Buddhist does rely on others to tell him what to think.

You'd have to agree then that, since New Testament Christians found the writings of Paul, Peter, James, John and others to be important and relied on them for clarity of understanding, these Christians were far from being mystics.

Steve.

Oh, no doubt that Christians that follow the New Testament are not mystics except for the handful of monks and nuns living in monasteries. New Testament Christian follow the official teachings of men in a conclave who put together books that would reenforce their position as the ruling hierarchy of the Church.

The heretics known as the mystics, Gnostics, Cathars, etc disagreed with the orthodox teachings of the organized Church and paid for that disagreement with their lives.

The orthodox Church won the war or at least the battle to suppress the heretics that disagreed with them. However, it appears that the heretics are coming back from the dead or maybe I should say the underground.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nighthawk
The Vatican as a nation-state? As a matter of protocol, sure. No standing army unless you count a company or two of Swiss Guards, no political agenda, no influence outside it's 110 acres except regarding morality. And if people should reject statements on morality no repercussions except that they get prayed for. Just like Caesar's empire.

I would say that you cannot have an organized religion without some type of structure, not particularly what we might call a government. (See Islam for that.)

Not as a matter of protocol. Mussolini made the Vatican a nation state. One doesn't need an army to be a nation state. Europe has a number of nation states that do not have an army.

UN member nation too. What I mean is that the Vatican exercises governmental authority within its borders but not beyond. Just moral authority which all are free to ignore. Except for doctrine even Catholics.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's true in the very early years probably the first thirty or so the religion wasn't organized but it didn't take long to start organizing especially once the Roman bureaucrats joined the Church and once Constantine made Christianity the official state religion it was all over but the shouting.

Glad you agree, but that's not what you said earlier. You don't get to change your point when your point is proven incorrect.

Remember, the Old Testament was written in only the first seventy years or so and isn't the complete history of the Church if it's history at all of the Church.

I'm sure, or at least I hope, you actually mean the NEW Testament. And it's pretty well accepted that the New Testament is reliable history. Luke, for example (who wrote a Gospel and the Acts of the Apostles, arguably the biggest contributor to the New Testament) is today regarded as a historian of the first rank. I refer you again to F. F. Bruce and his book The New Testament Documents, Are They Reliable? (There is also a more recent book that covers his ground and brings the issues more up to date; if I remember the name of it I'll insert it later.) Paul, while not writing history per se, does not contradict the history we know, and due to his travels produced a body of work that would be easy to discredit historically if that could be done.

As to the second part I'm dead right and you prove my point. Of course orthodox Christianity is not mysticism at least for the rank and file. The books that were accepted into the New Testament were the books that would provide for a ruling hierarchy. The ruling hierarchy needs ignorance in order to survive.

Here, you're changing your point again. But to continue, there is far more to the acceptance of the New Testament books than you admit.

You confuse the church with the Church, and try to define it crisply and clearly (which even the theologians are unable to do) according to your own preconceptions.

The last thing the Church (religious state) needs or wants is a bunch of self-reliant, free thinking, and wealthy mystics running around. Look what happened to the Cathars.

The way you use the term "church" changes continually, so I'm going to go ahead and let you post away. No meaningful discussion can be had when the terms of the discussion are fluid.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
It's true in the very early years probably the first thirty or so the religion wasn't organized but it didn't take long to start organizing especially once the Roman bureaucrats joined the Church and once Constantine made Christianity the official state religion it was all over but the shouting.

Glad you agree, but that's not what you said earlier. You don't get to change your point when your point is proven incorrect.

Remember, the Old Testament was written in only the first seventy years or so and isn't the complete history of the Church if it's history at all of the Church.

I'm sure, or at least I hope, you actually mean the NEW Testament. And it's pretty well accepted that the New Testament is reliable history. Luke, for example (who wrote a Gospel and the Acts of the Apostles, arguably the biggest contributor to the New Testament) is today regarded as a historian of the first rank. I refer you again to F. F. Bruce and his book The New Testament Documents, Are They Reliable? (There is also a more recent book that covers his ground and brings the issues more up to date; if I remember the name of it I'll insert it later.) Paul, while not writing history per se, does not contradict the history we know, and due to his travels produced a body of work that would be easy to discredit historically if that could be done.

As to the second part I'm dead right and you prove my point. Of course orthodox Christianity is not mysticism at least for the rank and file. The books that were accepted into the New Testament were the books that would provide for a ruling hierarchy. The ruling hierarchy needs ignorance in order to survive.

Here, you're changing your point again. But to continue, there is far more to the acceptance of the New Testament books than you admit.

You confuse the church with the Church, and try to define it crisply and clearly (which even the theologians are unable to do) according to your own preconceptions.

The last thing the Church (religious state) needs or wants is a bunch of self-reliant, free thinking, and wealthy mystics running around. Look what happened to the Cathars.

The way you use the term "church" changes continually, so I'm going to go ahead and let you post away. No meaningful discussion can be had when the terms of the discussion are fluid.

Steve.

I assume that everyone knows that the Church wasn't organized immediately upon Jesus's death. I guess I shouldn't assume anything. Rome was nothing if not an organizing machine.

Yes I did mean the NEW Testament. Sorry for the poor proof reading. I'm usually in a hurry but that's no excuse.

As to the New Testament being reliable history, all legends and mythologies have some eliminate of historical truth but they are still stories none the less. I believe that the Bible is just a collections of legends and mythologies just like Pagan legends and mythologies. I do not put a lot of stock in stories written by anonymous dead men.

As to changing my point of view I have changed nothing. I stand by what I said.

When I use the term Church I'm referring to the the religious state of the Roman Christian Church. When I use the term with a small case "c" letter I'm referring to church the building. I thought I was clear.

All Christian sects are members of the same orthodox Church out of Roman just differences of theological opinions on the same subject. The Church is ALL orthodox Christian sects under one roof so to speak.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Derby, Edward Gibbon, in The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire, goes into quite a bit of detail about the history of the Church within the Roman Empire. You might enjoy reading it. He starts talking about the history of Christianity within the Empire in Chapter Fifteen.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Derby, Edward Gibbon, in The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire, goes into quite a bit of detail about the history of the Church within the Roman Empire. You might enjoy reading it. He starts talking about the history of Christianity within the Empire in Chapter Fifteen.

I'm going to have to get that one of these days if I live long enough. Maybe I ought to see if the book is one the Internet and if Chapter Fifteen is there.

Thanks.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

I'm going to have to get that one of these days if I live long enough. Maybe I ought to see if the book is one the Internet and if Chapter Fifteen is there.

Thanks.
Here you go.

It's Chapter Fifteen. There are nine parts to this chapter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks I booked marked it as I'm going to be busy with tax class for the next few days but I'll get to when I'm done with tax class. I hope I can print it out. I'm going to be starting my antibiotics shortly for my cataract surgery. We'll see what we can get done.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting....as a junior in high school in Germany (Army brat), I had the opportunity to be in Rome and I actiually saw John XXIII laying in state at the Vatican while the election for a new pope was going one.

One regret I have is that I actually had a ticket to the mass of the Cardinals and missed it. That's the mass prior to the selection of a new pope. Was there with three other classmates who also had tickets and a Catholic priest. The only morning we actually slept in. You almost have to be a head of state to get into that mass. The priest was a close personal friend of Cardinal Cushing from St. Louis.....therefore the tickets.

Last edited by Wacenturion; 10/19/14.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by Scott F
Going to Church or belonging to an organization does not make one a Christian.
u

AMEN!!!!

I would add not belonging to a church does not mean one is not a Christian.

Yes but it helps, a lot. It's easy enough to talk yourself into falsehoods even with a solid theology to serve as a framework around which to build your thoughts. Just recently talked with clergy to make sure my thinking hadn't gone astray; hadn't missed something or fallen into one of the many philosophical pitfalls.

No argument from me on your statement.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye

In addition, the historian Will Durant, goes into very great detail about the origin and subsequent organization, and many divergences of early Christianity in his two books, Caesar and Christ, � 1948, and The Age Of Faith, Simon & Schuster, � 1950.

Both are very interesting reads.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
TRH...

As I read your posts It occurs to me that you have a lot in common with Mel Gibson's father. What say thou??? From Wikipedia; Hutton Gibson, Mel's dad:

Beliefs[edit]

Gibson is an outspoken critic of the modern post-conciliar Catholic Church and is a proponent of various conspiracy theories. He disseminates his views in a quarterly newsletter called The War is Now! and has self-published three collections of these periodicals: Is the Pope Catholic?, The Enemy is Here!, and The Enemy is Still Here![8][22]

Gibson believes that the Second Vatican Council introduced explicitly heretical and forbidden doctrines into the Catholic Church in order to destroy it from within.[citation needed] He also holds that every pope elected since John XXIII, inclusively, has been an anti-pope or illegitimate claimant to the papacy.[citation needed] This doctrine is called "Sedevacantism", from the Latin words Sede ("seat") and vacante ("vacant"), and affirms that the Pope's seat is effectively vacant because those occupying it do not do so legitimately.[citation needed]

Gibson has been especially critical of Pope John Paul II, whom he once described as "Garrulous Karolus the Koran Kisser".[1] His allegation that the Pope kissed the Qur'an is corroborated by a FIDES News Service report of June 1, 1999, which quotes the Chaldean Catholic Patriarch, Raphael I, as having confirmed to the news service that he was personally present when John Paul II kissed the text sacred to Muslims:

On May 14th I was received by the Pope, together with a delegation composed of the Shi'ite imam of Khadum mosque and the Sunni president of the council of administration of the Iraqi Islamic Bank. There was also a representative of the Iraqi ministry of religion. ... At the end of the audience the Pope bowed to the Muslim holy book, the Qu'ran, presented to him by the delegation, and he kissed it as a sign of respect. The photo of that gesture has been shown repeatedly on Iraqi television and it demonstrates that the Pope is not only aware of the suffering of the Iraqi people, he has also great respect for Islam."[8]

Gibson has also used his newsletter to argue against Feeneyism.[23]

At the January 2004 We The People conference, Gibson advocated that the states secede from the Federal government of the United States and that the United States public debt be abolished.[24]

In March 2003, shortly before Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ was released in American film theaters, Hutton Gibson provoked widespread outrage when he was broadcast by radio talk show host Steve Feuerstein and subsequently reported on a separate occasion in a New York Times Magazine article, saying on both occasions that the Holocaust was a fabrication.

One week before Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ was released in American film theaters, Hutton Gibson told radio talk show host Steve Feuerstein that the Holocaust was fabricated and "mostly fictional".[25] He said that the Jews had simply emigrated to other countries rather than having been killed, a view which some observers described as Holocaust denial.[25][26] He claimed that census statistics prove there were more Jews in Europe after World War II than before.[27] Gibson said that certain Jews advocate a global religion and one world government.[25] Gibson's family claimed that Steve Feuerstein misrepresented himself when he called Gibson and never revealed that he was being taped with the intent to broadcast his comments on his show, Speak Your Piece.[28]

In his interview for the New York Times Magazine article, Gibson dismissed historical accounts that six million Jews were exterminated:

"Go and ask an undertaker or the guy who operates the crematorium what it takes to get rid of a dead body," he said. "It takes one liter of petrol and 20 minutes. Now, six million?"
Across the table, Joye [Gibson's wife] suddenly looked up from her plate. [...] She had kept quiet most of the day, so it was a surprise when she cheerfully piped in. "There weren't even that many Jews in all of Europe," she said.

"Anyway, there were more after the war than before," Hutton added.

The entire catastrophe was manufactured, said Hutton, as part of an arrangement between Hitler and "financiers" to move Jews out of Germany. Hitler "had this deal where he was supposed to make it rough on them so they would all get out and migrate to Israel because they needed people there to fight the Arabs," he said.[1]

Gibson was further quoted as saying the Second Vatican Council was "a Masonic plot backed by the Jews"[2] and that the September 11, 2001 attacks were perpetrated by remote control: "Hutton flatly rejected that Al Qaeda hijackers had anything to do with the attacks. 'Anybody can put out a passenger list,' he said".[1]

In the early 1990s, Gibson and Tom Costello hosted a video called Catholics, Where Has Our Church Gone?[29] which is critical of the changes made to the Catholic Church by the Second Vatican Council and espouses the Siri Thesis that in 1958, after the death of Pope Pius XII, the man originally elected pope was not Angelo Roncalli, but another cardinal, "probably Cardinal Siri of Genoa" (a staunch conservative candidate and first papabile). Gibson stated that the white smoke which emanated from a chimney in the Sistine Chapel to announce a new pope's election was done in error; black smoke signifying that the papacy was still vacant was quickly created and the public was not informed of the reason for the initial white smoke. A still photograph of a newspaper story about this event is shown. "Had our church gone up in smoke"? asked Gibson. He stated that the new pope was forced to resign under duress and two days later, the "modernist Roncalli" was elected pope and took the name "John XXIII". In 1962, Roncalli, as Pope John XXIII convened the Second Vatican Council.[29] In 2006, Hutton Gibson reversed his position on the Siri Thesis, asserting that this theory was based on a mistranslation of an article written on October 27, 1958 by Silvio Negro for the evening edition of the Milan-based Corriere della Sera.[30] A similar event also happened in 1939; in that case a confusing mixture of white and black smoke emanated from the Sistine Chapel chimney. In a note to Vatican Radio, the secretary of the Papal conclave at the time, a monsignor named Santoro said that a new pope, Eugenio Pacelli, had been properly elected regardless of the color of the smoke. Pacelli took the name Pius XII.[31]

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sedevacantism",

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I "Googled" your question. Click on the site address below for an answer to your question:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=pope+john+xxiii

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Siskiyous6
Originally Posted by kududude

Yup, a decent voice and post it on YouTube ... that's proof that 1.2 BILLION Catholics are totally stupid.

kd

Well this post is proof you are totally stupid, unless your being sarcastic, which is what this post sounds like, but it is hard to tell.

Spirituality has nothing to do with religion.

And who was Pope anybody doesn't make the Catholic Church a bad thing. It is interesting history, but not much more than that.

The Pope IS the Catholic Church. To be a good Catholic in good standing with the Church you follow the Pope blindly. The Pope is God (Jesus) on earth. In all matters of religion, the Pope is infallible.

That is not true

Tom

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Sedevacantism...

TRH is this what you believe?

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Robert_White

Sedevacantism...

TRH is this what you believe?
Roman Catholics are presumed to believe what the Church has always and everywhere taught with its highest degree of authority, one part of which is that no formal heretic can legitimately be the pope. It appears clear that John XXIII and all the popes that followed him were/are, by Roman Catholic standards, formal heretics. Were I still a practicing Roman Catholic, I would conclude that the last legitimate pope was Pius XII.

The Roman Catholic Church has, several times in the past already, declared that certain popes (and even strings of them) were invalid. Those the Church refers to as "antipopes." Google the various antipopes that the Roman Catholic Church has declared in its long history (at least forty). Many times, the formal declarations only came long after their deaths.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
726 members (007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 70 invisible), 2,910 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.