Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't seem to be able to keep mine cinched down tight. At the end of a days hunt it is always loose. Is there something I am missing here? What say you? Thanks...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
GB1

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I've never had a problem with that, but I do use a little grease on the threads of choke tubes which helps keep them secure.

Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by krimmie
I've never had a problem with that, but I do use a little grease on the threads of choke tubes which helps keep them secure.

Do you think that your choke tube wrench helps, too?

Gary

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
They are extended tubes, so I only go hand tight anyway...but the grease helps.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
confused

IC B2

Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
lock ring...

Attached Images
M107_scope.gif (15.77 KB, 125 downloads)

Gary

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Gary I know exactly what your talking about, I just tighten it hand tight and if it loosens I just repeat and it will more than likely loosen again, a tiny bit of silicone or loc tight maybe the answer you would just have to try it.........not sure how the choke tubes and grease got dragged into the conversation smile

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I back the obj off a touch, hand tighten the lock ring, and then tighten the obj to where it needs to be while holding the lock ring. They don't budge when doing this.

Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
I back the obj off a touch, hand tighten the lock ring, and then tighten the obj to where it needs to be while holding the lock ring. They don't budge when doing this.

Nice. Thank you...

Gary

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I said obj, but you get the picture.

IC B3

Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I just tried this and that lock ring feels like it is now welded in place. Great piece of advice, 7RM.

Gary

Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Yes. You meant eyepiece lens..

Last edited by Gary O; 10/20/14.

Gary

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Gary O

I just tried this and that lock ring feels like it is now welded in place. Great piece of advice, 7RM.

Good deal Gary. Hopefully it stays put now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gary O

Yes. You meant eyepiece lens..

That's the "ocular" lens

Last edited by Snyper; 10/20/14.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gary,

I've had the lockring/ocular come loose on a couple rifles. One was a 375R shooting 260gr bullets at 2900fps. The other, believe it or not, is my 7-08 Montana.

I've done the "loosen ocular and tighten into lockring" trick as mentioned above and it still comes loose. I even get a piece of rubber or one of those jar lid gripper things and crank the shhit out of it. Still comes loose. I've even tried a rubber strap wrench after my uber-grip. Strap wrench just spins and doesn't tighten anymore than I can do by hand.

One time I was at the Leupo facility in Beavertown and spoke to one of the techs (who is also a gunsmith). He thought for a moment, then said "I could face the surfaces and make sure they are square." Exactly what I'd expect a 'smith or machinist say grin

I said, "What about a drop of blue loctite?" He said, "Give it a try and if it doesn't work, come back."

The 242 held just fine but use a VERY SMALL AMOUNT!

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 10/20/14.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Gary,

I've had the lockring/ocular come loose on a couple rifles. One was a 375R shooting 260gr bullets at 2900fps. The other, believe it or not, is my 7-08 Montana.

I've done the "loosen ocular and tighten into lockring" trick as mentioned above and it still comes loose. I even get a piece of rubber or one of those jar lid gripper things and crank the shhit out of it. Still comes loose. I've even tried a rubber strap wrench after my uber-grip. Strap wrench just spins and doesn't tighten anymore than I can do by hand.

One time I was at the Leupo facility in Beavertown and spoke to one of the techs (who is also a gunsmith). He thought for a moment, then said "I could face the surfaces and make sure they are square." Exactly what I'd expect a 'smith or machinist say grin

I said, "What about a drop of blue loctite?" He said, "Give it a try and if it doesn't work, come back."

The 242 held just fine but use a VERY SMALL AMOUNT!

Jason

I'll have to try the locktight. The lock ring on my 6x42 on my 7mm-08 never survives a trip to the range....

David

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I used the Locktite on mine and it cured the problem. I also de-greased the threads before applying the Locktite.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My scopes are 6x42 too. Just be sure to use a tiny amount of loctite! I over did it once and it was locked in placed and couldn't be loosened by hand.

If you're leery of 242, I'd consider a dab of super-glue or even tiny bit of paint. Just an idea.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 4th_point
My scopes are 6x42 too. Just be sure to use a tiny amount of loctite! I over did it once and it was locked in placed and couldn't be loosened by hand.

If you're leery of 242, I'd consider a dab of super-glue or even tiny bit of paint. Just an idea.

May havto break out the wife's clear fingernail polish....

David

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good idea.

Colored would make a good witness mark if dabbed on all 3 parts (tube, ring, ocular).

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

283 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,761 guests, and 919 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,632
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.