Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My creedmoor rounds with a 140 vld shoot best at 2.89" coal. It's on a tac 30 aw so it's ok there but my rem actions mag boxes only allow out to 2.83". It was chambered with the standard creedmoor reamer which has .199" freebore which is a lot. You can get a creedmoor reamer with less freebore but people have them had pressure issues with factory ammo. The Lapua is a shorter case and allows you to seat things out a bit and still be under 2.83".

That's the irony of the creedmoor. They touted it as a great short action round and then had to give it so much freebore that you can't kiss with a vld and fit in a rem short action. I still think the creedmoor is a great round but the Lapua fits a short mag box better and leaves you more room to chase.

Bb

BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks!

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GSSP
Originally Posted by 65BR
Congrats - enjoy those steaks.

My 16 yr old son and I have been tearing up the jerky so far.

Alan

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
G
GSSP Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

I love my creedmoor but that Lapua just fits a rem mag box better.

Bb

Please elaborate a little more on this.

Thanks,

David

Don't want to talk for BB but let me chime in.

Take a standard 2.820" long magazine. Some may vary in length, but, hopefully, you get my meaning. The 260 Rem case is 2.035" long with a standard 2.8" seated bullet OAL per Wikipedia. The 6.5 Creedmoor case is 1.920" long with a standard 2.820" seated bullet OAL per Wikipedia. The 6.5x47 case is 1.843" long with a standard 1.736" seated OAL, per Lapua.

When seated to the standard OAL, the shorter cartridges are going to be able to "chase" the lands as the throat wears out through out the life of the barrel. In a longer cartridge, such as the 260 Rem, one might not be able to chase the lands since the standard OAL is already at the max for the magazine anyway.

My sniper grade 6.5x47 with 2200+ rounds, when using the Berger 140 Hybrid seated at .015" off the lands, where it likes to be, is at 2.85"; beyond the standard length for most magazine any way. Fortuneately, the AI mag length accommodates this.

Help much?

Alan

G
GSSP Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Ha! Hadn't realized Bb had posted before I came back, hour later to post. Good post/explanation by the way.

Alan

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My creedmoor rounds with a 140 vld shoot best at 2.89" coal. It's on a tac 30 aw so it's ok there but my rem actions mag boxes only allow out to 2.83". It was chambered with the standard creedmoor reamer which has .199" freebore which is a lot. You can get a creedmoor reamer with less freebore but people have them had pressure issues with factory ammo. The Lapua is a shorter case and allows you to seat things out a bit and still be under 2.83".

That's the irony of the creedmoor. They touted it as a great short action round and then had to give it so much freebore that you can't kiss with a vld and fit in a rem short action. I still think the creedmoor is a great round but the Lapua fits a short mag box better and leaves you more room to chase.

Bb

I've owned a couple Creedmoors and still have one. Although they both shot well jammed (130VLD), they also shot well with some jump --- lots of jump actually. If building again, I'd have no qualms using Kiff's reamer with less freebore. I don't shoot factory ammo anyway. The bullet is still is a nice place in the case when loaded to typical 700 mag confines.

Im not knocking the 6.5x47. I may do one in the future.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Bb

I've owned a couple Creedmoors and still have one. Although they both shot well jammed (130VLD), they also shot well with some jump --- lots of jump actually. If building again, I'd have no qualms using Kiff's reamer with less freebore. I don't shoot factory ammo anyway. The bullet is still is a nice place in the case when loaded to typical 700 mag confines.

Im not knocking the 6.5x47. I may do one in the future.

I have a Creedmoor that almost seems indifferent to jump (or much of anything else)....

But I understand the points that were made.

David

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
As do I...and I know a little about your Creedmoor(grin). I shoulda kept it!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great shot and gear you have there. You did well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love jerky, never tried elk jerky. Bet it's fabulous.

Re: 6.5's - never met one I disliked.
Had TCU, 6.5-308 Win (pre-260), 260's, Swedes, and a Creedmoor.

Running a 47 currently wink

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Alan,
Great story, great shooting.
Enjoyed reading .
Chuck

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice poke GSSP, I like your setup! I would appreciate your opinion on the killing performance of the Matrix whenever you form one.

Don't pay any attention to the the "Goat", he thinks ethics in hunting only apply to those with your ability. It has never dawned on him that any ethics argument that can be made against LR hunting applies to all hunting.......

The world is full of "ass clown's" and he is the perennial champ. However, top contenders abound on the Campfire these days so "The Goat" is just trying hard to defend the title...
[Linked Image]

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.