Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
My brother had my grandfathers Savage 99 (40's/50's model) drilled and tapped for a Leopold one piece base ( two holes in front and one rear). You have to lift your head off the stock just to get your eye into the scope. I am to much of a trap shooter to deal with head lifting.

Any lower mount options availale.

Doc

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's not the base that is the problem.

You need lower mounts with a scope that has a small enough ocular in the front of the scope to keep the scope as close to the barrel as possible.

Thus yer head down on the stock.

wink

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Mount and base are same-same in my book. You need lower scope rings. The objective end of the scope is over the barrel. Low rings and a straight tube scope is the best you will do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. Misspoke or mistyped. Meant scope rings. My bad...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 99guy
Yep. Misspoke or mistyped. Meant scope rings. My bad...

It happens. Just a good thing you didn't call a pivot mount a tipoff!! wink laugh

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Straight tube scope and low rings are as good as it'll get, but without a Monte Carlo style stock you still will adjust your cheek weld. It's not tough to get used to though.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You also can try a comb riser. I have a leather lace-on comb riser on one 99 and you get used to its looks. Cabalas used to sell one that for all pratical purposes looked just like something you could have bought at a hardware store or sporting goods house back in 40s and 50s.

Last edited by S99VG; 10/21/14.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by S99VG
You also can try a comb riser. I have a leather lace-on comb riser on one 99 and you get used to its looks. Cabalas used to sell one that for all pratical purposes looked just like something you could have bought at a hardware store or sporting goods house back in 40s and 50s.

I have done this on a couple, and it works good. The leather lace on type.

They also help on the European style stocks that are on many BRNO, CZ, etc... when using scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know I'm gonna get bashed for being a post mil Lover
but this is exactly why I prefer my DL's
I do like the old ones too but I'm more comfortable with the monte
stocks

plab

Last edited by Plab; 10/22/14.

Gotta love them 303's
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like the looks of older straight stocks best, but they were designed for iron site use and not for glass. Montes look worse to me, but they also function better with a scope; which isn't to say that scopes can't be used with the older style stocks.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think Plab, Billy and I have this thing figgered out. DL's baby! grin

LOL
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I find the monte carlo stock to be much easier to get a cheek weld with also. Without that, using the original stock on my F, I had to search to get a good view through the scope. Love the plain stock on my .300 EG though. Just right for a peep sight.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sayak
I find the monte carlo stock to be much easier to get a cheek weld with also. Without that, using the original stock on my F, I had to search to get a good view through the scope. Love the plain stock on my .300 EG though. Just right for a peep sight.

And sayak. wink

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Looks like there is a post-mil Monte Carlo faction emerging in the ranks. Let me know when you plan to hold the next meeting.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wow I'm glad I got my DL's now.. I can see the value going up... fireball you started a snowball smile

plab

Gotta love them 303's
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by S99VG
Looks like there is a post-mil Monte Carlo faction emerging in the ranks. Let me know when you plan to hold the next meeting.

That's a meeting the collectors can collectively yawn at.

Pun very intended. grin

LOL
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I love the looks and feel of the 99 and I admire all the examples I see in Cabellas, gun shops and online, no matter the stock configuration, but I am mostly a hunter and shooter. My F came to me scoped, but it didn't aim right for me. The Mc stock made it much easier to quickly acquire the target without having to find the right position for my ugly mug, and that could make a big difference in taking the shot or not.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I got an F with pretty beat up stock. I enjoyed it that way anyway, but later got a monte carlo stock from a forum member, and put that on and enjoyed it for a while also. Then I went away for a few days and found that my son had let his step son use my rifle and he had not treated it well! The stock had to be refinished. I decided while I was doing that to get the .308 barrel bored to a .358, and I decided to put another scope on too, mounted on some very old e-bay special Redfield see-through mounts so that I could also see my irons. Not sure I like them yet, but I sure do like the little Leupold Pig scope!
Anyway, here is the rifle in its present incarnation, ready for what have you next hunting season.
[URL=http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/taryakvak/media/3583.jpg.html][/url]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lose those friken "see through" rings. That will get the scope down to where you can see through it properly. The only thing those "see through" rings are good for is to turn the scope into a handy carrying handle.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ha ha! With a monte carlo stock My eye centers just fine. I agree, they are "friken", but actually much lower that the Wide View see-through mounts it came with from Maine. Still, I may lose them and put my tip-overs back on.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

159 members (2UP, 338reddog, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 17 invisible), 1,504 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.