Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
one thing i wish someone would tell me how to do, but i want to make a duplex load bullet. Real hard base, soft lead front.

Were a fella interested in doing it proper he would get two moulds, base and nose, and a hammer die. Thing of beauty when done and they shoot exceptionally well when patched.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But Dan, just think of all the funky wrinkled, half filled, lopsided boolits we wouldn't get to use to throw off our alloy with when we re melt them.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
True that. I have guard rails.

Sometimes.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
one thing i wish someone would tell me how to do, but i want to make a duplex load bullet. Real hard base, soft lead front.

Were a fella interested in doing it proper he would get two moulds, base and nose, and a hammer die. Thing of beauty when done and they shoot exceptionally well when patched.

What is a "hammer die"?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Yeah, very good advice above.

My wrinkled, visually unpleasing stuff disappeared when I threw in resting the up to temp mould on a hotplate to "cool" Resting the mould on the hot plate keeps the nose section hotter for a mite bit, creating a better weld and better looking finished bullet.
Yes on the two pots, but I usually dump the pure lead from the bottom pour. A bit of practice and a decent metering pot can work well.

Just shot another dink 2 weeks ago with a 50 cal./12 ga. sabot slug load

Worked like a champ.
Went through the deer and several small trees. Never recovered.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
from RCE LLC.
The Hammer Swage or pound die is the earliest type of die. A piece of steel has a cavity machined into it. A lead slug is placed in the die, a base punch is inserted into the die, and the punch is hit with a heavy hammer or mallet. The lead slug is “pounded” into a bullet. The die is then turned over and banged against a solid object until the bullet is jarred out of the die. A more modern approach uses an ejection punch to push the bullet out of the die. Making bullets in this manner is very slow and not especially precise.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hammer dies or swages look pretty much like the image below. The big brass hammer smacks the large ram and the wee little one ejects the bullet when ready. This particular die takes a tapered round nose form and creates a flat nose .50 cal fast twist picket bullet of about 490 grains. -Hint- Be sure to put a little lube on the slug before you try turning it into a bullet or it might be a bit of a hassle removing it.

The die feeds an old D. Hilliard rifle dating from the 1880s or there abouts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The image below is small, sorry about that. If you look closely at the 2d from the right you will see a 2 piece .50 cal bullet of 850 grains that was used to take the national slug gun championship back 10 years or so. You can see a bit of color change at about the 1/3 height from the base.

[Linked Image]

On the left is the 'slug', on the right a finished bullet for the Hilliard rifle.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hey Dan, i have a sinker mold that casts just that same shape! have to weigh them but id bet they are about 200g's.
probably upset to 40 cal.
never thought of it but would make a good squirrel boolit

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
461 members (300jimmy, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 40 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,932
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.