Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by poboy
Wow that Pyrenees cross made for a good looking
dog.

That was my first thought too.
Almost looks like a hound.

My cur dog's a natural at finding game.
Unfortunately for her, I don't hunt big game very much any more.
I make up for it by letting her run my little trap line with me though.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
She is a real good dog. I gave all of the other pups away and don't have any feedback as to how they turned out. I took them to a local flea market and had no trouble giving them away. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I never heard of that before.

Accident. the Mother got bred when she was too young and I took her to the Vet and got a shot to keep her from having the puppies. For the next five years She never came in heat so I quit watching for it. One evening when getting ready to get on a deer stand, She did not act interested in going (unusual), so I told my partner, something is wrong with Purl and I went over to her and She was about to pop. She had pups three days later. Her long hair and big size kept me from noticing until the latter stages. She always lost weight in the summer and put it back on when it started getting cooler, so I thought nothing of her increase in size. Big surprise to me. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by milespatton
I failed to trust her. I shot a doe deer with my muzzle loader and as usual, I took Kate to find it. I always do this even if I see the deer fall. Anyway, we went to the place where the deer was standing and She started to pull me along.
By law She has to be on a leash and so She pulled my 6'4", 285 pound through the brambles and vines for about 60 yards and I have not seen one drop of blood. I decide that She is on the trail of the wrong deer, so I stop her and we go back to where I shot the deer. I tie her to my ATV and look around where the deer was standing when I shot, and I see no blood, no hair, no nothing. This is not good. I take Kate down wind of that place a little and make a circle, and She pulls me down the same trail that She did the first time and I am still seeing no blood, but I keep going. About thirty yards past where I stop her the first time, lays a dead deer. I can't figure how a deer that is double lunged with a .50 caliber Barnes sabot does not leave lots of blood, but that was the case. Big holes on both sides of the ribs and blood coming out the nose and mouth where she laid, but none on the trail. Kate knew but I did not trust Her and I should have because She has never let me down. Sorry Kate. miles

A buddy an myself shot a doe at about 200 yards once with my 50... BMG... put a nice 50 cal hole through both lungs. Easy trailing area to see blood and such, had to follow tracks almost 175 yards to where she piled up on a trail... with a pool of blood not bigger than a plate at that point. Never saw a SINGLE drop of blood.

OTOH we did find the path of the bullet and could trace it almost all the way into the ground....was hoping to find it but it went to dirt in cactus....

Good job on Kate. Hoping to expose the new dog to deer trails here in a week or so.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot a deer in the lungs once and blew an enormous exit wound in the animal. It ran about 60 yards through some heavy brush and i never saw a drop of blood. When i got to the animal most of the destroyed lung was hanging out of the wound. I wish i had a dog to help me find that animal. It hit the brush and i lost sight of it immediately. It took me over an hour to recover an animal just 60 yards from where it was shot. A dog would have been most useful.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
The old coot that I ran around with before he up and left us had a beagle, Max. Max was the best-behaved critter imaginable. One day John thought that Max had committed some infraction of decency (I don't even remember what it was) and upbraided him quite loudly about it. Some time later, John had incontrovertible evidence that he had been wrong and Max had been completely innocent of any transgression. He went out to apologize and was met with all of his pot-started tomato plants torn from their pots, with plants, pots, and dirt strewn all over the patio. He had to admit that this was a just response. He managed to get everything repotted, and all three of us had some beer when I showed up.

Great story.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boxers are supposed to be good at trailing, but didnt try mine. Not legal in good ol Pa. Did help with a pup to Drahthaar club standards. Their standards sound like a lie and take a book to explain. Anyhow it was very impressive

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Was a scout master in college and took my kids to a summer camp annually.... the camp directors had two HUGE DOGS... a Pyrenees and a Newfoundland, and later got a St Bernard...

all three were pretty impressive animals, yet were so good with all the kids running lose all summer...

With all the hair, and size... we made jokes that the lake rose a foot when they went in, and dropped a foot when they came out...

left a trail of water coming out that resembled water my 23 ft SeaRay used to do when I pulled that out of the lake back in Minnesota...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My daughter and family adopted a dog from the pound a couple of years ago. She is half Pyrenees and half Golden Retriever. She has turned out to be one of the best family pet dogs I have ever known.

She is great with the grand kids. Very loving, loyal and obedient. She is protective, too. The Pyrenees were bred to protect sheep herds. It seems like they would be very good at it.

She enjoys jumping on the big trampoline with the kids, and sometimes all by herself. Pretty amusing. She is a happy dog named Daisy, which seems to fit her well.

Last edited by nifty-two-fifty; 10/25/14.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 48 invisible), 3,311 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,292
Posts18,467,960
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.