Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by sse
goll darnitt gramps that looks purty good

Thanks, my friend...

Actually, it IS "purty good"... would I "lie" to you??? So give it a "try", ol' buddy ! smile

Ron

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

GB2

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Don't know if I could resist adding in some chopped, thick cut smoky bacon...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
something I use to thicken soup;

Instant potato flakes. They stir in great with no lumps, and work great!

Virgil B

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I made a pot of Pasta e Fa.gioli yesterday

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

[Linked Image]

That looks really good. That and a good hunk of Italian bread, and you got a meal. That's a heck of a buck you posted on the "Deer Hunting" forum. I enjoyed the video. Congratulations!

IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
egg yolks and regular left over mashed potatoes work well as thickeners also. Never heard of instant mashed being used.

Will have to give them a try if my roux fails me. Thanks

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
[Linked Image]

I love Pasta e Fa.gioli, the whole lot of us ladies love it. It does not last long around here. That looks awesome smile

With fall setting in and temperatures dropping, soups are on the menu this week, potato leek with bacon, and French Canadian pea soup will be served this week. Looking forward to trying new recipes posted here.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Miss Lynn,

I have never made Pasta e Fa.gioli but it looks good!

I've Googled recipes, and found so many that I can't decide which one to try first. Some are damn near tomato soup with a few beans and a little pasta, others are more like a solid pasta dish with some beans mixed in, and not really enough liquid left to call a soup.

Do you have a favorite recipe you could post?

I have a slow-cooker which I suspect might be good for this -- at least I like the way that kidney beans in other soups become nice and creamy with long slow cooking.

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tommy, thanks for this recipe, Im trying it, it really looks good, especially on cold winter days....

Thanks

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by AggieDog
Tommy, thanks for this recipe, Im trying it, it really looks good, especially on cold winter days....

Thanks

You'll love it, I guarantee. Sometimes the next day can be a problem if you're in social situations, if you know what I mean. But it is a great cold weather food, as you suggest. When I first started making it, I'd substitute dried sage, for fresh. I never realized how aromatic and flavorful the fresh is. I only use the fresh now. Good food and pretty inexpensive. Glad to pass it on. Enjoy. I saw on the weather channel, the whole country was quiet, weather wise, except for your part. Did you guys get the wet weather they said you would? We dried out for 1 day, and now, back to rain. We needed it, but not this much. Take care.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
EdM,

Any dried peas too be had over there?

I made some split pea and ham soup a few weeks ago that turned out yummie!

Very simple to make, dried peas, chicken broth, some onion and diced ham.
Yum Yum!

Virgil B.

Have not found any peas either. I did find some lentils so ham and lentils next weekend. I will start a pot of chicken vegetable soup in a couple hours.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can send you some if that's ok?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I post this about once a year now, great ranch bean recipe, my father in law cooked these for volonteer fireman dinners, county fair, etc for years.
Enjoy:
RANCH BEANS
Use 2 lbs of Pink beans. Soak overnight if you want, I usually will soak for 10 min, and flush, use new water, and start it to a simmer.

Add 2 Lbs of Yellow onions. Chopped

Add 2 Green Bell Peppers (careful not to get too much bell pepper as it can make the beans taste too sweet)

Use 6 cloves of Garlic (or more)

Add 2 Lbs of bacon, fry it, dry it off, or slice uncooked in the pot. Frying it removes alot of greese, and also alot of flavor, your choice.

Add 1 ham hock, maybe 2, I like smoked ham hocks better, but either will work.

Add 6-12 Celery stocks cut in 3/8 to 1/2 pieces.

Add Cumin (start with 2 tablespoons and add to suit your taste)

Add chili powder (same as above, I just keep adding until it suits me, dont get stingy, and dont overdo it....grin)

Salt (season to taste, it's your beans)

Pepper (be careful, dont add too much)

Two large cans of whole tomatoes, maybe three, add juice and all to your beans.

For a cajon taste, add cajon seasoning to taste.

Let cook at a simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours. Dont cook them so long the beans break down.

Enjoy! This is my father in law's recipe. He has cooked them for years at fireman feeds, the county fair, family get togethers, duck s unlimited dinners, etc, they are goooood.

You can freeze them after cooked, and cooled down in large freezer bags and them you can have great beans for dinner at your leasure. We also take them hunting with us. The bears think they are out of this world.....that's another story, and true.

You can cut this recipe in half and it will make a nice large two gallon or so pot of beans.

Try these boys, and I think you will like them. Myself, I have done the bacon either way, and just slicing them up and throwing them in tastes best, but it should, it has all of that bacon grease in it.

Make sure you have enough water, you want at least the upper third of the pot to be liquid. I take a ladle and take one scoop from the bottom for the beans, hocks, etc, and one scoop from the top for the liquid. Makes the best bowl of beans you can eat. My father in law has been invited to everything under the sun just so he can make these beans. I have often seen him making 20 to 30 gallons of these beans for big feeds. He's a bean maker, and this recipe is a winner.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
it was pretty weak, at my place, maybe 5/100ths of an inch. Hopefully in the mtns north of Redding they got alot more.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tommy, I did your navy bean recipe in a dutch oven today at a dutch oven cookout. It really turned out nice.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
108 members (6mmbrfan, 160user, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,721 guests, and 759 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.