Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Anyone here know of a good screening tool to help ID mutual funds that has outperformed their indexes of long time periods? like 30-50 years...

Dave

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Check Morningstar. Each fund family will post the performance of each of their funds as well. Keep expenses in mind right along with performance. IMHO you should stay away from funds that charge a load. There are lots of good funds out there that don't charge a load.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
Anyone here know of a good screening tool to help ID mutual funds that has outperformed their indexes of long time periods? like 30-50 years...

Dave

I doubt any exist that meet that criteria. 30-50 years is a long time.

As an aside, it is very easy these days to buy ETF's that exactly track the indexes that everybody benchmarks themselves against. You can simply "buy the market" and be done with it.

I don't put a whole lot of faith in these guys, but here is a site with lots of research. http://www.morningstar.com

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser

Dave

As an aside, it is very easy these days to buy ETF's that exactly track the indexes that everybody benchmarks themselves against. You can simply "buy the market" and be done with it.

I don't put a whole lot of faith in these guys, but here is a site with lots of research. http://www.morningstar.com

another question or two..

1. why would you go with an ETF over a regular index mutual fund?
2. Why do you have a lack of faith in morningstar?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
etf's are cheaper to own than actively managed mutual funds. you dont "beat" the market (you'll match it.....) but you dont pay alot of fees to do so, either. if you have alot of $$ involved, those fees really start to stack up, and the truth is, its hard to beat the market, consistently.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I would imagine Fidelity's Magellan Fund would be one of the few to meet that criteria.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Fidelity Magellan has lagged its index (total stock mkt) rather badly over the last 25yrs.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by robertacabin
Fidelity Magellan has lagged its index (total stock mkt) rather badly over the last 25yrs.

Agreed, but given the time frame given, it is probably one of the few that has beaten the S&P over "30-50 years".

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Not too sure it has beaten the mkt, even over 50 yrs.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
There are probably at least three people in the world who know less about this schit than I do. On the other hand, my wife has (among other credentials) a PhD in finance and teaches (among other things) portfolio management to MBA candidates. I don't pretend to know why, what, where or how, but I know she doesn't have much use for mutual funds. When she has the time to apply to it and when she feels the stars and planets are in alignment, she makes a lot of money commodity trading.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by robertacabin
Not too sure it has beaten the mkt, even over 50 yrs.

Easily.

Magellan 1963-2014

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dave

Just buy an S & P fund and take the guess work away. There are very, very few that beat the S & P over 30 years.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Those Morningstar charts Do Not take in to account the high expense ratio and high portfolio turnover costs of the Magellan fund. If they did, you would be in for a big surprise. I respectfully disagree with your evaluation.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Magellan did so well in its early years (under the management of Peter Lynch, IIRC) that even if it tracked the S&P for the last 25 it would still be way ahead. And at a .50% fee, it is not exorbitant.

FYI, I do not think I have ever owned a Fidelity mutual fund.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Unfortunately, It did not track the s&p over the last 25 years. It performed much worse. Lets not forget turnover (portfolio) costs. Most people do not realize that if a fund has 80% turnover you can add approximately another .8 % to the expense ratio for your total cost of fund management. If a fund has 125% turnover, then add 1.25% to the expense ratio for total cost. These are "hidden" fees that most investers are unaware of. Also, in the good days of the Maggellan fund the expense ratio was quite a bit higher then present times. These transaction costs are the fees the "fund" (owners) pay for the selling and buying of different stock by the fund managers during the course of the year. These costs are negligible for an s&p index as no stocks are sold or bought ( for the most part).

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Foxbat
I would imagine Fidelity's Magellan Fund would be one of the few to meet that criteria.

Not since Peter Lynch left.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Dave

I can get out of an ETF during the day, place stop orders etc.
As for Morning Star, the whole problem with using past performace to evaluate funds is it's PAST performance. That's what someone else got, not what you will get.

You are better off choosing funds from companies that have produce good results, i.e. more 4-5 star rated funds then 1-2 start rated funds then choosing an individually well rated fund.

In addition, what the change in fund managers. MS rates funds, not fund managers or management companies. Changes in fund managers need to be taken into account when choosing funds.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Get Vanguard index funds. They track their indices well and are very low fee.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Get Vanguard index funds. They track their indices well and are very low fee.

There is no point to buying an index mutual fund. Just buy the etf.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Dave

1. You can buy an etf, pay the trade commission, and it never costs you another penny until you sell it. If the index is the benchmark everybody tries ( mostly unsuccessfully) to meet or beat, why not just buy the index and be done with it?

2. Morningstar, like any other rating agency, just tells you what they think in the best case. In the worst case, they tell you a bunch of BS just to get your money where they want it. At the end of the day, it's just another guy's opinion. If you are going to invest your money, YOU have to know. Nobody in the business at any level is as worried about your money as you are. Start reading every day, use some common sense and discipline and almost anybody can come up with a long term investing plan that will work. 5 or 6% compounded annually is a lot of money over 20 or 30 years.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

203 members (260madman, 338reddog, 360bull, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 33 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,459
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.