Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If iirc NFPA does rate fire departments, the rating having an effect on commercial properties fire insurance. my lgs has at least 100 pounds of assorted powder, plus primers etc. on open shelves and an apartment upstairs.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Canazes9
10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting_started/safety/storage_handling.aspx

David

National Fire Protection Association, Quincy, MA 02269.

The National Fire Protection Association doesn't exactly sound like a legislative body.

They're not. Nor are their suggestions enforceable. However, if a local govt adopted them as local code then maybe there could be an issue.

This^^^

The NFPA code is simply a "best practices" guide. Unless a legislative body writes it into law their recommendations mean nothing.

Here's part of the NFPA code:
"10-3.8 Not more than 20 lb (9.1 kg) of smokeless propellants, in containers of 1-lb (0.45-kg) maximum capacity, shall be displayed in commercial establishments."

I can't think of any decent local gun shop that in normal (non-Obama) times would only have 20 lbs. of powder displayed, so clearly the NFPA code is not widely followed.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Again, I never stated it was the law, although I imagine it is in fact written into the fire codes in many municipalities. Just trying to provide a reference of any sort...

David

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Again, I never stated it was the law, although I imagine it is in fact written into the fire codes in many municipalities. Just trying to provide a reference of any sort...

David

And that was my point above. Show me a municipality that has written it into it's fire code with a proscribed criminal penalty for non-compliance.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

David

And that was my point above. Show me a municipality that has written it into it's fire code with a proscribed criminal penalty for non-compliance.

http://home.earthlink.net/~david.schultz/regulation/arlington.html

Chapter 33 Explosives and Fireworks
Section 3301

General

3301.1 Scope The provisions of this chapter shall govern the possession, manufacture, storage, handling, sale, and use if explosives, explosive materials, fireworks and small arms ammunition.

Exceptions:

The Armed Forces of the United States, Coast Guard or National Guard.
Explosives in forms prescribed by the official United States Pharmacopoeia.
The possession, storage and use of small arms ammunition when packaged in accordance with DOTs packaging requirements.
The possession, storage and use of not more than 1 pound (0.454 kg) of commercially manufactured sporting black powder, 20 pounds (9kg) of smokeless powder and 10,000 small arms primers for hand loading of small arms ammunition for personal consumption.
The use of explosive materials by federal,state and local regulatory, law enforcement and fire agencies acting in their official capacities.
Special industrial explosive devices which in the aggregate contain less than 50 pounds (23 kg) of explosive materials.
The possession, storage and use of blank industrial power load cartridges when packaged in accordance with DOTs packaging requirements.
Transportation in accordance with DOT 49 CFR Parts 100-178.
Items preempted by federal regulations.

The first thing you might notice is that the NFPA codes are referenced frequently and even included as additional requirements. You might think that there would be a copy of the NFPA codes at the public library as well. You would be wrong....

Fire codes are enforceable. Do I think anyone is out kicking in doors (or even writing tickets)? No

Likely to EVER have a problem even if you have a fire in your home and had 100's of pounds of smokeless pwder(from an enforcement standpoint)? No

Is it possible for some government employee (or concerned citizen) with a hard on to cause you grief over an infraction of the fire code if you caught their attetion? Yes

David

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Chapter 33 o the Houston Fire code seems to say the opposite - seems as if it is saying that ALL handloading components are exempt, regardless of quantities:

http://www.houstontx.gov/fire/business/HoustonAdmendtoIFC.pdf

I suspect that a google search of "your city" fire code chapter 33 would answer the question for a lot of folks....

David

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Up here it is Fed regulated, but , they are pretty generous, up to 75kg of smokeless in a detached dwelling. Ammo is measured by the powder charge. Apartment dwellers have to buy 5 & 8lb canisters, then they are good to 75kg. single pounds only allow them up to 20kg. in non-detached dwellings. I don't remember the black powder regs, but, they upped it also.
They just changed it last year.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, 13 invisible), 1,600 guests, and 712 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.