Print Thread
Hop To
M
MILES58 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
The gun is a rescue built from parts accumulated over some years. Probably 6-8 Model 12s went into it. The receiver came from one place, the bolt another, the fore end iron another, the barrel ring another, the adjuster and lock another, The shank and stock bolt another place screws and accessories another and the barrel yet another place.

16 gauge, WS-1 skeet barrel, some of the last Herters wood in the butt stock and the fore arm came from Macon.

The case is an old Boyt's in very good shape that I just walked into for really cheap.

The grouse is one of this years hatch, male. I asked the setter to sit in for the picture, but she was indisposed.

The stock is a very rich chocolatey brown with beautiful figure. The fore are was the best match color wise that could get out of Macon.

Rust blueing is next on the list.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MILES58; 10/25/14.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice. Think I would just carry it as is.

It's not the destination...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, things might come together, but they go better with Coke. grin

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Nice! The Model 12 is my favorite shotgun.

μολὼν λαβέ
M
MILES58 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I put enough finish on the wood to protect it through hunting this year. When I fitted that 12 gauge stock to the 16 I left it a little proud in the places that are critical to me. The comb is a little high, but it's shooting nice so it'll probably stay there, the grip needs a little slimming and contouring just a hair straighter.

Things might go better with coke, but it sure makes it harder to shoot good enough to hit grouse.

The work to build one out of parts isn't so bad. It takes a specialized reamer and a set of go-no go gauges. Fitting the fore end takes a file just the right size and sharp.

I built this one as tight as a TIGHT new factory Model 12. It should be good for the next century or so. I have a 1913 build 16 with the solid rib that's unmolested. I have fitted a fore end to a couple of Model 12s in 12 gauge. I think I will start looking for parts for a fore ends for this one, probably a full choke solid rib barrel to pair up with this WS-1 barrel.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I love to see "rescue" guns! You should be proud of saving a great one from oblivion.

I've "made" a bunch over the last 50+ years. Currently have a .25-20 Winchester Lo-Wall made up of parts from at least five guns. From about six feet away, it LOOKS original. And it SHOOTS original! And a Win Model 37 20 guage made up from three different guns. And a new looking '17 Colt from at least four.

Just laying down the green for a new gun isn't NEAR as much fun as huntin' and gatherin' up the parts for a "new-old" one....

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
MILES58 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I don't much restore/build anything but model 12s. I have done mostly 16s, but I found a 12 built into a trap gun that some miscreant put a thumbhole stock on. It took a while to find the perfect stock for it and then get it well fitted, but I love it and I can shoot it as well as any shotgun I have ever had.

G
G
Very nice rescue shotgun.

I noticed your shotgun's safety; I have what appears to be the same safety another Model 12 16. Mine pivots forward for fire and back for safe. I don't normally like the safety in front of the trigger if it is a push button, so I never purchase a Model 12 until this gun. Do you know anything else about this style of safety?

M
MILES58 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by gunhunter
Very nice rescue shotgun.

I noticed your shotgun's safety; I have what appears to be the same safety another Model 12 16. Mine pivots forward for fire and back for safe. I don't normally like the safety in front of the trigger if it is a push button, so I never purchase a Model 12 until this gun. Do you know anything else about this style of safety?

It's called a crow foot safety. They weren't all that uncommon. You have a fair number of options available for M-12s in terms of triggers and safeties. Left hand/right hand, Pull/release triggers, big head safeties/crow foot/really big head with a "hanging section" which moves the part you can push a lot further from the receiver. That's just off the top of my head.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 55 invisible), 2,964 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.