Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Saddlesore good on you and the brake. Nice bull too. I've got some 200gr Speers I'll trade you for those 180Norma's if RC doesn't take them. powdr

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome! You can't argue with those results. Congrats!

Eric

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Good job on making it work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
good on you and Roscoe too. smile

Roscoe didn't look entirely happy. Get him to smile better next time. :P

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore

I put the muffs on right before I got to my stand.

That's the operative phrase......

So, if elk appeared sometime before you got to the stand, you wouldn't have been prepared to shoot them?

Funny you should mention that. My son shot his elk late morning on the way back to camp after we had been sitting at our stand since daylight. When he shot I was right beside him, talking to him and forgot to plug my ears. His 243 hardly made my ears ring (another argument for a 243 with premium bullets--nil recoil, low, low muzzle blast.........)

I'm still saying you can get as much or better recoil reduction with a Decelerator.

Originally Posted by saddlesore

This my little pack mule Roscoe.

Did Roscoe get earmuffs too?

If he didn't, maybe that's why he's not smiling in the photo.

Just teasing SS, you're one of my fav guys on here.

Congrats on the elk! And I like it that you know where to hang out and let the elk come to you--smart elk hunting.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
No, a Decelerator doesn't work like a brake for every kind of recoil problem people encounter. My wife has Decelerators (or another variety of soft pad) on every one of her hunting rifles, and they didn't help at all with the recoil headaches she started getting a few years ago.

By trial and error she found out more than about 15 foot-pounds of recoil resulted in the headaches, regardless of the recoil pad--or stock shape, or whatever other factor Campfire experts come up with then discussing recoil. She did fine when killing a cow elk this year with her .257 Roberts, but would like to be able to use her custom .308 Winchester (with a stock made to precisely fit her) for bigger game. We tried reduced loads with 130-grain TSX's, but by the time we got them going slow enough to prevent the headaches, there was no real point, since her .257 worked just as well.

So she's going to have a brake installed, and since she has probably 3 pairs of electronic muffs that will work I doubt she'll have any problem.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Saddlesore,

Well done! Glad the brake worked out so well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats. I have brakes on my 460 and 416 and 30-378. My 378 Bee did not come with one. My brakes myself and my peltors work great!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Saddlesore,

Well done! Glad the brake worked out so well.

Thanks John. I appreciate that coming from you after all the grief a few gave me.

Casey. I get to my stand right before shooting hours. Roscoe was a ways from me. That photo was taken after I had processed the elk and was packing it out.

Roscoe and my saddle mule Woodrow were down in the trees at the end of the meadow.

[Linked Image]

I was up at the other end of the meadow at the end of the pines.

[Linked Image]

I shot from those up turned aspens that were pushed over from an avalanche.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/30/14.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by powdr
Saddlesore good on you and the brake. Nice bull too. I've got some 200gr Speers I'll trade you for those 180Norma's if RC doesn't take them. powdr

Pwdr.PM me with adddress and you can have them for about $13 shipping in a flat rate box or less if I can get them in a smaller one.

Vince

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good job on the elk Saddle Sore.

How are the 130ABs doing in your swede? What are you using them on? They shoot great in my swede, but I haven't killed anything with them yet. I'm hoping they'd be ok if I stumbled on an elk while both deer and elk season are on.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the pictures. Thanks for showing them.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Great hunt SS. I only wish I had been there too.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Deleted]

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/31/14.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Congrats on the elk & rifle sucess.
Thanks for sharing it here with us.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice pics.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Saddlesore; Thanks for offering up your good results with the brake use and ear protection.
Having just bought a 300 Win mag in Wby Accumark, I might go that route to tame recoil on this old body : )
Unit 54 is still looking good and producing elk for you, happy to hear and see that. : ) Nice photos Saddlesore, thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,783
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.