Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I haven't had the problem of the old underlying bluing come through. Today I looked really close at a bunch of them and they still look very evenly blued very deep and rich looking.
I really like the job you did on the stock. With that kind of work I don't think anyone will be looking to closely at the bluing.
Jerry

Living in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian"
Semper Fi The Old Corps Era of the M-1 Garand�
GB1

Y
Yalie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Y
Originally Posted by velcro
I haven't had the problem of the old underlying bluing come through. Today I looked really close at a bunch of them and they still look very evenly blued very deep and rich looking.
I really like the job you did on the stock. With that kind of work I don't think anyone will be looking to closely at the bluing.
Jerry

Dear Jerry:

I've rust blued about 25 rifles and shotguns. If I am only removing the original factory bluing, then no problems.

I only started having problems with re-blued guns.

First, the barrel and barrel extension on a 1957 Win. Model 12. The receiver and everything else rust blued properly, but the barrel had three 2" long rust spots after initial rust bluing.

Second, this Savage 99. After the first rust bluing, I noticed a semi-circle over the rear bridge with pitting along the edge of the circle. It must have been caused by an old Buehler base from the 1950's that got wet, and wasn't dried.

Third, and the worst, a 1948 Win. Model 71 which was obviously reblued, and poorly taken care of before and after the re-bluing. That rifle should have never left the factory, because after my second attempt, I noticed about 10 spots of longitudinal machine marks about 1/2" long on the outside of the receiver faces.

This rifle had a number of machine errors throughout, conclusion: Friday gun.

The point is, Winchester filled in the pretty bad machine marks with hot salts bluing. I didn't know that that was possible, but it is.

That has been my experience with the tough nuts.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Y
Yalie Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Y
Again, thank you all for the compliments.

Do want to see a restored Model 12 Winchester?

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Beautiful work Chris. I'd like to hear your oil finish technique sometime.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,549
Posts18,453,561
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.