Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Killed some critters last year with the 210 grain outta a .300 RUM. Liked them OK. mtmuley

BP-B6

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Shodd
[quote=TexasTBag]150 gr .277 LRAB, launched out of a 270 WSM Montana. Shot this bull at about 100 yards IIRC. Bull barely reacted to being shot and trotted off with the herd. Never found a single drop of blood luckily still found him piled up about 150 yards away.

In all honesty i didn't perform a bullet CSI so I can't tell you what happened, even with help I didn't get the meat and head back to the truck until 2am.

Shoulder shot, heart and lungs, broadside, quartering away or toward, complete pass through?

Surely you must have at least some of this info. For all we know the elk may have been gut shot.

Don't you know here on the campfire it is operator error unless you can prove otherwise. laugh

Shod
grin

He was quartering towards me and I aimed on the shoulder and I actually hit a little in front of the shoulder. Elk was quartering enough that I clipped the front of the heart. No pass through, never found the bullet.

When I opened up the diaphragm it seemed like it was completely filled with blood.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Reloder 28,

Now, of course, some of the same people use them at short range, and then wonder if a ABLR was was the right choice, because the animals they shot didn't fall instantly, like they do on Internet posts or TV hunting shows. So they're going to switch to a stouter bullet with a lower BC, which they could have used in the first place.

Why don[t you try some 150-grain Ballistic Tips?

Not sure but this seems aimed at me. I don't recall ever mentioning the bullet failed or that I expected the elk to drop it its tracks or the reason I'm switching to a TTSX. I just described my short experience with them.

Honestly I came very close to using the exact same load LRAB this year on my elk hunt. I've never used a TTSX on anything and I wanted to give them a shot (pun not intended. :D) Plus the TTSX shot really well in my rifle.

Last edited by TexasTBag; 11/01/14.

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 16bore
I thought the Accubonds had a stouter jacket than the Ballistic tip?

No?

Nosler's now on the 4th incarnation of the BT. In it's latest life they switched to the heavier jacket they used on the AB, probably to simplify manufacturing. They bond the jacket, give it a different color tip, and call it an Accubond.

I find non-bonded bullets to be more accurate, so the only reason I'm really interested in a bonded LR bullet is for close moving targets with the LR rig.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
110 acubond from my 2506 bought 200 yds. Just about broadside. Dead right in his tracks. He just crumbled straight down at the shot

[Linked Image]

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That's a nice buck there!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Great picture & great buck! Nicely done Evan.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have killed 2 whitetails with the 210gr ABLR using a 30-378 wby. The first was a doe shot at 72 yds bullet entered just under her chin and exited the back of her neck. Exit hole was about the size of a football. 2nd deer was a buck at about 230yds, he was quartering hard towards me. Bullet entered right behind the front shoulder and exited the last rib with a hole about the size of a quarter. Buck ran about 80yds and expired. I didn't find blood until the 60yd mark but none the less he wasn't hard to find.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Killed a bull Elk with the 168gr from a 280 AI last week..409 yards uphill bullet clipped the edge of the scapula going in made about an inch and a half bloodshot entrance hole, made an inch hole thru both lungs and did not exit..I really didn't look much for the bullet it was getting late and we needed to get the meat packed out...at the shot the bull lunged up on it's rear legs then walked about 30 yards and fell over dead !

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.