Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Doing a study on the will of God right now. If you have been saved for any length of time, it has to be something that you have thought about, and wondered how to find.

I heard someone define happiness as knowing the will of God and doing it. True saying. Now to find the will of God. wink

One good verse is 1Thes 5:18 -- In everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. Pretty straight forward. God even tells you that "this is the will of God."

So now that we know that thankfulness is the will of God -- in EVERY THING, are we doing it? I mean the good stuff AND the bad stuff? Hmmmm.

There's more, but that is a good start. Also consider Romans 12:1-2, 1Thes 4:3-4. Easy to talk a good story, but like Paul said in Romans 7:18, "but how to perform that which is good I find not."

Even Christ when he was praying said, "Not my will but thine be done."

It is a revealing study.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a copy of this (written in 1944):

http://www.christianbook.com/the-wi...710&gclid=CI6SmJOM18ECFfLm7AodOSUALg

It sorted a few things out for me.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
"So now that we know that thankfulness is the will of God -- in EVERY THING, are we doing it? I mean the good stuff AND the bad stuff? Hmmmm."

Not sure what you mean by the bad stuff.Not everything that happens to us is the will of God.Jesus did tell us to pray that God's will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. We have choices and we receive what we sow according to those choices and we have an enemy who comes to steal kill and destroy.

Now I would certainly agree that God can place us in situations that may seem bad to us but we are there to help and often learn.I use John 10:10 as the dividing line. If something has come to kill steal or destroy, it didn't come from God.

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
R-H,

You have missed the point completely. Being THANKFUL in every thing is the will of God. Read the verse, man!

"In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." 1Thes 5:18

I never said anything about the good and bad things being the will of God . . . . that is your point, not mine. We are to be thankful in every thing -- whether the thing be good or bad, it is covered by the "every thing." And in THAT, we are to give thanks. It sometimes takes a deeper walk than I have to give thanks in some of the less seemly things on the face of this planet that come my way, but "the will of God" for me is to give thanks for it regardless.

An old Christian Shantyman that I had the pleasure of knowing used to explain that verse like this. If trouble comes upon you, just say, "Thank you, Lord, for this good trouble." That'll work.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Could God by His Will, overcome our will, or Satan's?

Does He not know everything that will be before it happens?

If everything is not His Will, can He be everything the Bible says He is?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brother Keith,

Thank you for sharing this. Sometimes I need to be reminded about having a thankful spirit.

I'm an analyst both by profession and in nature. I pick things apart to the nth degree.

I say that to preface my question because I don't want my question to come across as a challenge to what you've shared. Inflection is lost in text and I'm sincerely interested in this.

My question is, have you done a word study on that verse?

What is the original word for "will" used there?
Is it the same word used elsewhere?
What is the word thankful?
Is it used elsewhere?
How about the phrase "in all things"?

I'd be very interested if you've done this to read your notes.

Thanks again for this.

I've done a similar study on "faith" after reading that without faith it's impossible to please God.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by the_shootist
R-H,

You have missed the point completely. Being THANKFUL in every thing is the will of God. Read the verse, man!

"In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." 1Thes 5:18

I never said anything about the good and bad things being the will of God . . . . that is your point, not mine. We are to be thankful in every thing -- whether the thing be good or bad, it is covered by the "every thing." And in THAT, we are to give thanks. It sometimes takes a deeper walk than I have to give thanks in some of the less seemly things on the face of this planet that come my way, but "the will of God" for me is to give thanks for it regardless.

An old Christian Shantyman that I had the pleasure of knowing used to explain that verse like this. If trouble comes upon you, just say, "Thank you, Lord, for this good trouble." That'll work.

No sir
That verse does not mean that I should be thankful for cancer because it is the will of God for me to have cancer. It means that in the midst of cancer I should be thankful for healing which God provides. Jesus didn't go around healing people of their diseases that God had willed them to have. That would have been a house divided against itself.

Now the reason I asked is that I don't know if that is what you meant at all. I ave however spoken to Christians so deceived that they thought cancer was the will of God and they wanted to give thanks for it.

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
It's not the cancer or the lack of it that is the will of God in that verse in 1Thes 5. It is the giving of thanks in every thing. Don't try to make it something it is not. And what if you never get healed from this mystical cancer that came out of nowhere?

Paul had the gift of healing and he left folks sick in Miletum. He himself had a thorn in his flesh that was never "healed of."

Paul said he would rather glory in his infirmities. (2Cor 12:5)

Last edited by the_shootist; 10/31/14.

Brother Keith

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's not the cancer or the lack of it that is the will of God in that verse in 1Thes 5. It is the giving of thanks in every thing. Don't try to make it something it is not.

Yes, we are to give thanks in everything. Even in cancer, we are to give thanks to God the healer, for healing. That's faith.

Sorry but I had to make the point because I have seen many people think that they should give thanks for cancer.

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
HAJ,

I have no knowledge of the "original languages." I do not speak Hebrew, Aramaic, nor Koine Greek, nor do I read them. I am, however perfectly satisfied with what the Lord has given me in the "original language" of my birth.

I know that, for instance, it is not the will of God for any to perish, but myriads do, and spend eternity in Hell and the lake of fire. God's will is for all to come to repentance, (2Pet 3:9) but not everyone does, else we could do away with hell, which would be a good thing if everyone would come God's way . . . . but they don't. Any man that rejects the free gift of salvation through the shed blood of Jesus Christ goes to Hell completely contrary to the will of God. God is not a burglar -- he wiill not rob you of your free will, but there are consequences for wrong choices.

And I don't mind contrary thoughts if they are based on scripture. I am not always right.

Brother Keith

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R_H_Clark,

You seem to revel in contention.

the_shootist,

Fun topic. I practice it regularly. One day when I was working alone in the shop where I worked I accidently hit a button that activated a 3" diameter air cylendar while I was putting a piece of wood into a centering block. The 7/8" diameter "chuck" smashed my thumb between the chuck and the board. From habit I audiby said, "Thank you, Lord."

A little to my right and from behind came an inquisitive woman's voice, "Is that all?" I sorta jumped because I thought I was alone. She came in to check about something her husband was interested in.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
HAJ,

I have no knowledge of the "original languages." I do not speak Hebrew, Aramaic, nor Koine Greek, nor do I read them. I am, however perfectly satisfied with what the Lord has given me in the "original language" of my birth.

I know that, for instance, it is not the will of God for any to perish, but myriads do, and spend eternity in Hell and the lake of fire. God's will is for all to come to repentance, (2Pet 3:9) but not everyone does, else we could do away with hell, which would be a good thing if everyone would come God's way . . . . but they don't. Any man that rejects the free gift of salvation through the shed blood of Jesus Christ goes to Hell completely contrary to the will of God. God is not a burglar -- he wiill not rob you of your free will, but there are consequences for wrong choices.

And I don't mind contrary thoughts if they are based on scripture. I am not always right.

Thank you sir. I was just curious is all. This study would be ingesting indeed. That you for sharing what you've learned this far.

I'm confident that His Word will not return to Him void, without accomplishing that which He sent it to do. I pray that He continue to bless you and then us through you as you continue in His Word.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
"For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication: That every one of you should know how to possess his vessel in sanctification and honour;"
1 Thessalonians 4:3-4

I like the expression -- "This is the will of God." It's so that simpletons like me can add 2 and 2 and not come up with anything but 4. I'm thrilled that God gives simpletons such as I am things easy to be understood.

Your sanctification is the will of God. Sanctification is defined in Webster's dictionary thusly:

The act of making holy. In an evangelical sense, the act of God's grace by which the affections of men are purified or alienated from sin and the world, and exalted to a supreme love to God.

God's will is for you to be crucified to this world (Gal 6:14) Wholy set apart to his holiness.

The will of God is for us to abstain from fornication in 1Thes 4:3. That should be an easy concept for a man that is born again by the Spirit of God to grasp. Fornication both in the flesh and in the spirit. Back in Jeremiah 3, Israel and Judah were accuseed by the Lord of adultery against HIM. WOW!

Grant it that a man should not cheat on his wife, nor engage in premarital sex, nor in homosexual practice. That's easy. But when a man commits fornication against the Lord, he steps aside from devotion and love for God and gets involved in wrong "religious" activities -- that God NEVER SANCTIONED!

It is God's will for you to know how to possess your vessel in sanctification and honour. (verse 4 of 1Thes 4.) THIS is the will of God. Look in 2 Timothy 2:21

If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

THIS is the will of God! A purging of the old man, and a sanctification or a setting apart for God's use.

You ever get off in the flesh? I do. I am sickened by it, but every once in a while, my sanctification slips. THAT is NOT the will of God.

Mmmmm Mmmmmm Mmmmm!

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
My prayer is that the Lord God would help me to stay devoted to him, and possess my vessel in sanctification and honour, that I would abstain from fornication, both physical and spiritual, that I would give him thanks in every thing, especially in the things that I think are not good. I have already settled the matter of coming to repentance (2Pet 3:9) by his grace and mercy.

What other part of the will of God am I missing out on? I really desire to be in the absolute centre of his will, not so I can boast, because I have found in small ways in the past, being in or doing the will of God is a very humbling thing. HE gets the glory, and honour and blessing and worship -- not Brother Keith.

Amen, Lord. Please grant these my requests in Jesus' name, and for his glory.

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Romans 12:1-2

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

Presenting our bodies a living sacrifice -- Wow. Takes a heart for God. You want to prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God? Start out with aliving sacrifice in your body -- and that is not a huge thing in God's eyes, as He calls it your reasonable service. And when we have done those things that are required of us -- our duty -- we are unprofitabe servants. (Luke 17:10) Ouch.

And we haven't even spoken of not being conformed to this world, and the transformation that can bring. Nor have we said anything about a renewing of the mind -- changing the way you think and react. These things are all covered under the 1.) Good, and 2.) Acceptable, and 3.) Perfect will of God.

Doing our duty and following the Lord's instructions (called commandments in Luke 17:10)) is Good, but there are no rewards to the unprofitable servant, and the Lord expects a higher level of devotion to get to the "acceptable" level.

Acceptable service is better than good service, but it is not perfect. Perfect will of God is doing exactly what the Lord wants done exactly when he wants it done and in the way he wants it done. To get the perfect will of God, you need a body that is a living sacrifice -- a holy sacrifice -- an acceptable sacrifice. Back in the Old Testament, the sacrifice had to be without spot and blameless -- a holy sacrifice, for it to be acceptable to the Lord.

Is he finding that in you? Are you proving what is not only good, but acceptable, and perfect within the will of God?

Rewards come for acceptable and perfect service -- 1Cor 3:12 -- "Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;"

The foundation is Christ -- verse 11. You build on that, and the rewards are gold, silver, precious stones. The precious stones are easy -- those are the ones you have had a hand in bringing to Jesus Christ. (Mal 3:17)

The silver represents the purity of the word of God -- Psalm 12:6-7. Silver you get for the times you do something at the bidding of God based on the scriptures alone -- no "feelings" no spine tinglings laugh .

The gold is representative of the deity of Jesus Christ. You get gold when you do something just because of your love for the Lord. You get no recognition down here, and most people don't even know you've done it, and maybe it costs you something like the scorn of the brethren, a demotion at work, but your love for the Lord encourages you to do that special thing, at that special time BECAUSE YOU LOVE HIM!

Have you been there yet. Done something you haven't drawn attention to for self recognition. Didn't get paid for it, maybe even costed you some cash and certainly some time to get it done?

This IS the will of God, so that he gets the glory, and NOT ME!

Amen!

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And when we have done those things that are required of us -- our duty

This is an excellent post. You keep this up and the "brothers" are going to call you a Pharisee. How do I know that?

Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
But Rich, you left off the important part of the quote -- duty only makes you an unprofitable servant. It goes BEYOND duties and requirements if you want to be profitable to your Creator.

Christianity is not a list of rules and regulations -- it's the hidden man of the heart that walks by faith, and not by sight -- that places NO confidence in the flesh and rejoices in Christ Jesus the Lord!

Philippians 3:3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

Last edited by the_shootist; 11/06/14.

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Galatians 1:4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:

It is the Lord Jesus Christ that does the delivering, not we ourselves. Our sins are paid for, blotted out, removed as far as the east is from the west -- HE is the one that performed that work -- HE is the one who gives us enough faith to believe in Him.

The trick is this: we get the stupid idea in our pea-sized brains that there is some inherent good in this world. That men are somewhat good in the inner parts. That thought never came from the Bible. If it were not for the atoning blood of Jesus Christ applied to our souls, we would be as good as in Hell right now. ALL have sinned -- except Jesus. Amen. He didn't die for his own sins -- he had none. (Heb 4:15)

This present world -- according to the Bible -- forget what your philosphy professor taught you is EVIL! It is presently ruled by the 'god of this world' - the devil. (2Cor 4) Satan offered 'all the kingdoms of this world' to Jesus Christ in the wilderness, but Jesus turned him down. But ONE DAY! Amen! He's coming back -- John 14 -- He will come again! He will strip the devil of his power and bind him in the bottomless pit for a thousand years.

The world that now is -- this present world -- is EVIL. God says so. And brethren, Canada, Australia, the U.K. and the USA are EVIL -- take Hollywood for an example. blush

It is the will of God for you and I to be delivered from this present evil world. Not to go out of the world just yet, but to be delivered from its way of thinking, its way of doing things, its thoughts and ideologies.

Back to the Bible, or back to the Jungle!

Isn't the will of God something you need? Sure! Is it something you are willing to seek? When you find it (with God's help and the Bible as a guide) will you do it?

Amen! . . .. . . .. .. .. .. I'm done. Breathe easy, men. laugh

Brother Keith

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Amen! . . .. . . .. .. .. .. I'm done.
I hope not. This has been excellent!!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the_shootist,

My experience with most seems to be they only hear the word "duty" and jump on that.

Everyday Hunter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,621
Posts18,398,558
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.