Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Same as Idaho Shooter here. No XTP's of any caliber here for at least two years.

I just bought another box of 158gr .357 a week or two ago at Cabelas.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I always enjoy your bullet tests!

I agree on the Sierra.

I've shot two deer with the Sierra 300 SP in 45 caliber and IMO, its the super stout jacket that gives them their rigidity.
I've seen the nose get weird.. [Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
These seven bullets were shot in to wet phone books from a 357 at about 10 yards, if I recall correctly. Hornady factory, absolutely perfect.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've seen only exemplary performance from the various XTP I've shot, in animals and in bullet tests. I haven't shot moose knuckle bones with them though!! Great work.

This kind of information is only self-gained. Companies don't ever mention under which circumstances their bullets fail, and if they do approach the subject, the consumer paranoia tends to skyrocket.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those moose knuckles, BTW, were used as kind of an ultimate failure-type test. (So I'm not suggesting that any of them are bad under typical - even generally harsh circumstances.) But I do think one can see what really shines (that 300 Speer, just as the 300 .458 rifle bullet are sleepers).

I did have great luck one late winter day, when the snowshoe hares were thick along on alder-choked creek, blasting the little buggers with my 45 Colt M94 Trapper. The bunnies thought they were being cagey by 'hiding' behind 3-4" alder trunks. Those 300 XTPs excelled at finding their way through the lumber screen, multiplying (shredding), and making quick the demise of said bunnies. (Shot placement was neither discriminating nor critical. blush )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Guys, since this is the handgun forum all of my comments are aim at revolver, semi auto handgun velocities, not the additional speed of rifles or long barreled single shot specialty "so called" handguns. An additional 2 to 3 hundred FPS can changes bullet integrity quick.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by jwp475

Guys, since this is the handgun forum all of my comments are aim at revolver, semi auto handgun velocities, not the additional speed of rifles or long barreled single shot specialty "so called" handguns. An additional 2 to 3 hundred FPS can changes bullet integrity quick.

What an odd statement. You're the only one making that distinction. Hornady makes none such. It isn't the gun anyway. It is the load that determines velocity. It is the distance to the target that determines impact speed.

J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

What an odd statement. You're the only one making that distinction. Hornady makes none such. It isn't the gun anyway. It is the load that determines velocity. It is the distance to the target that determines impact speed.

If you don't think the gun that the ammo is fired in, then you need to educate yourself. All you have to do is fire the same ammo (44 mag for instance) in a revolver over a chronograph and then in a rifle. The velocity will be about 300 FPS higher when fired in the rifle. High impact velocity can change bullet integrity fast.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Standard XTPs are designed for standard pistol velocity. Mag XTPs are for mag pistol or rifle, and for hot loads from a rifle or larger game, at some point the heavier and/or flat points are the better choice.

Cast WFN covers it all, of course.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

If you don't think the gun that the ammo is fired in, then you need to educate yourself. All you have to do is fire the same ammo (44 mag for instance) in a revolver over a chronograph and then in a rifle. The velocity will be about 300 FPS higher when fired in the rifle. High impact velocity can change bullet integrity fast.

Yeah. I'm sure I know exactly what I am talking about. I'm not sure that you know what you are talking about. Nothing I said is inaccurate. It isn't the gun, it's the load. I can load a 44 mag that will get very close to the same velocity from rifle or pistol barrels. If I load a medium load for a "so called" specialty handgun, you could beat it with a faster one in your 'real' handgun. Not the wannabe ones like others shoot. Once again, you make distinctions that bullet companies aren't generally making. Hornady doesn't make handgun or rifle versions of XTP in 44 cal. Or 38 cal. Yet they do use the same bullet in their data for both rifles and handguns. So I want to make it clear: you are making distinctions that others aren't making. It is likely you have your own reasons for this. I don't care what they are, because as I have explained, the firearm is not of primary importance.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
There are many that believe only a hard cast SWC or LBT can be effective. Well experienced "sixgunner" Ken O'Neil has proved otherwise many times.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Of course you can down load a for a rifle to match the velocity of a different load fired in a revolver but that is a special situation and I did not address that at all. You jumped to that conclusion all own your on. What I stated is factual. Again I stated to fire the Same load, two different weapons and barrel lengths will produce different velocities with the same load.

Fact a factory loaded 44 mag fired in a Win-94 will produce about 300 FPS more velocity Thant the same load fired in a revolver. Same load considerable velocity difference.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Odd statement to make about the gun not having any effect on speed.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
EdM #9348953 11/19/14
J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by EdM
There are many that believe only a hard cast SWC or LBT can be effective. Well experienced "sixgunner" Ken O'Neil has proved otherwise many times.

Where did anyone say casts are the only effective choice? Cast bullet certainly are effective is the point.

Last edited by jwp475; 11/19/14.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Even moderate loads with Unique will yield 300-400fps higher velocities from rifle-length barrels. That's a big difference when you're talking about the integrity of a jacketed pistol bullet.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 15 invisible), 1,678 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.