-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If you were going to build a match type, heavy varmint AR type rifle, how would you go about it and why?

Billet receivers? Or machined?

Barrel twist and contour?

Bullet and load?

Lets hear it.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
24" bull Krieger, Bartlein, Lilja, or other good custom barrel with 1/7 twist. I'd have it chambered at Compass Lake Engineering with their CLE match chamber.

Forged or billet receivers, doesn't really matter.

Id use Lapua brass and 70-77gr Berger bullets. Powder choice can vary.

Last edited by CBMJR; 11/20/14.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd have Robert Whitley build me something in 6mm. Let him pick the parts.
http://6mmar.com/

If anybody can build a 1/4 MOA AR, it's Bob.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
As mentioned above, the first part of an accuracy build is to find an Accuracy Smith up to the task, then listen to him.

There used to be a world class builder of benchrest rifles in Grants pass, but I think he's no longer with us.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If it was me, I'd prioritize the barrel and trigger as the best I could afford and let the rest take care of itself.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Top builders will get you what you want, and will steer you in the right direction to get it done the best way generally. Or refuse the job.

White Oak has not been mentioned, but is also quite adept... but even John there doesn't do it all and will point you to others he considers top of his trade for various projects that he doesn't touch.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Hmm, you said "match type".....what kind of match?

That makes alot of difference.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Hmm, you said "match type".....what kind of match?

That makes alot of difference.

No type specifically in mind, just used it as a descriptive word. Maybe i should say one hole groups at 100, and maybe 3" groups at 600.

Just wondering what it takes to make an AR really good at distance.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
3 inches at 600 isn't all that hard to come by. A decent barrel set up correctly and you can put all the parts together yourself.. done it many times..

Our best one was a krieger though.... 1.5 and even a couple groups less than that, 5 shots at 600 off bags with a scope of course.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Gotya.

If you want real accuracy in an AR, it requires an excellent barrel and chamber. I'd say away from the typical AR barrel brands and go with a real barrel maker such as those mentioned above, Chanlynn (if he's still in business) Krieger, Hart, Lilja, Bartlein, Lothar Walther, etc. and an actual .223 Rem match chamber. No BS 5.56 chambers if you want top accuracy.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
YES go with a big name bolt gun type barrel, like krieger, lilja etc. Don't worry about the upper, a $49 palmetto one will do just fine

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lilja AR24 and 70 gr. VLDs over max loads of Varget.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
From my experiences I would not buy another Walther barrel... but we all have issues with one or another...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
With my help, my son just put together his first AR. The upper, lower, bcg, LPK, etc. came from Anderson Arms. It wears a Midwest Industries free float handguard, anda Magpul stock. The only other part not from Anderson is the barrel. It's a Wilson Combat Match 16" in stainless steel; 1 in 8 twist. I bought it from an individual in a classified ad. Cheap rifle indeed.

Here's the first 3 shot group from it once we got the 3-9 Tasco scope on paper at 100 yards, at the bottom of the #1.
[Linked Image]
No worked up loads; just some old handoads I had lying around.

I say all that to say this: Accuracy comes from the barrel. If you're going to skimp on price, don't do it on the barrel.

(60 grain Sierra Hp's and Win 748 powder.)

Last edited by gregintenn; 11/23/14.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And a Wilson combat barrel isn't even considered by many to be a very top line barrel.

Good shooting and good job. Kids love em.

748 is very temp sensitive FYI. In the heat anywya, no clue where you are so it may not matter. Around 100 I've seen it blow mags out of rifles... with a previous warm but safe load

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by rost495
And a Wilson combat barrel isn't even considered by many to be a very top line barrel.

No, it isn't, but it isn't a bargain basement tube either.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Point is, it doesn't take that much to get decent accuracy, the other wilson brand consistently would do about 3/4 at 100 for what used to be 180 buck tubes, not bad.

Top line name tubes will scare 1/4 inch and do 1/2 all day long wiht right ammo.

Good job.

Your son should be happy and those 60 flat base sierras are really great accurate bullets on somewhat of a budget cost!

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
rost495- I've got a couple of factory AR-15's. They are stock. No mods at all. I'd like to build something of medium weight, with a 20/22 inch barrel, for informal target, varmints, and maybe a deer or two. Would you mind expanding a bit on your comment regarding a good barrel, properly set up?
I've got rifles with Schneider, Douglas and Shilen barrels. They are all good, imo. Who would you use for an AR barrel? I'm familiar with the basic process of truing an action, lapping lugs, etc. for a bolt gun. Not sure what is done for proper accuracy installation of an AR barrel. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Al

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

405 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 36 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.