Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by goalie
Nice.

My freezer is only half-full, so I am going to hit a place here in 601 for some metro-muzzle-loading next week and hopefully get another one.

I hope it has half as many deer as wherever you are hunting.

smile

There's a lot of places I know in 601 that really need some deer killed, but it's a lot better than it used to be. Where I am is worse now.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Is the performance jump that great that it's worth it? I can easily get the replacement breech plug if it is for next year.

There is no great performance increase with BH209. You can get the same velocities with 777 it just takes a little bit more powder or an extra pellet.

I'm getting about the same velocity with 105 grains BH209 (by volume) as I did with 130 grains of 777 pellets (two 50 gr and one 30 gr).

The advantages of BH209 is it doesn't deteriorate and lose accuracy ... 777 does.

And there's no swabbing required between rounds.

Some folks claim to get better accuracy with BH209 but a lot of that has to do with BH209 being loose powder. It gives you the ability to try different powder charges to dial it in.

At 75 yards none of this is going to matter except the ease of loading a follow up shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I need a "follow-up" shot, I am doing it wrong.....

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

No target ive shot needed a follow up shot either but the grouping would be deceiving without them. I shoot for fun and i dont find swabbing to be much fun. wink

Now there have been times ive been presented multiple shots at deer and if i had to swab, it would have lowered my chances of getting to take those shots. I filled all 3 of my tags one year in under 5min thanks to BH209 and no crud ring.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I had a paper target try to get away after the first shot, but it just ended up being the wind.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I understand what you're saying but ...

There's only been one deer that I've shot with my ML where I didn't reload. That one I could see was a bang flop DRT.

The point being that until you find 'em, poke 'em, and make sure they're dead it's not a bad idea to have another load in the tube.

YMMV. smile

Last edited by fish head; 11/28/14.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I agree....

I hit one with that took out one lung and broke the spine. Came upon it just over a slight rise and the thing put it's head down and charged with it's upper body. Plugged the thing right in the chest mid jump from the hip and it slammed back over onto it's back. I was shooting a 7mm Rem Mag at the time but still I never go close unless I have one ready.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah guys, I reload too, but out of the dozen or so deer I've gotten with a muzzle-loader, I never had to do it fast for an actual "follow-up."

We are a no-scope season, so, for me, I am taking a 50-75 yard shot tops. Most have been 20-30.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
One other question Miles: do you think the BH209 is worth it? I was going to hit the muzzle loader season with my old Knight, and Fleet Farm had the Optima on sale, so I got one. I only have had it out twice, and am using pellets just because that is what I did with my Knight, and I don't have a ton of time to work up a load before Saturday..

Anyhow, the 777 pellets are shooting pretty well, and much cleaner than the Pyrodex pellets I used to use. Since I am not scoping it, I don't know if it's worth spending a lot of load-development time on something I will likely only use out to 75 yards.

Is the performance jump that great that it's worth it? I can easily get the replacement breech plug if it is for next year.

Two things I would do...

First, install Dyna Bore Coat.

Second, get some BH 209.

777 and Pyrodex get sticky and make reloading harder after one shot and sometimes impossible after 2/3. A person just doesn't need that.

BH 209 and the Barnes T-EZ are BOTH worth it. There is little to no difference in price between the Barnes and any other bullets. The performance of the Barnes has been absolutely consistent for me. Little to no bone or lots of bone, lots of deer to go through or not, they just go through in a straight line. I doubt I will ever recover one.

If you bought a pound of BH 209, just use 95 grains by volume or 66 grains by weight with a 250 grain bullet and it'll be fine. I'd bet on that load working well in any in-line. If it's cold out I'd consider having a pack of magnum 209s. Can't hurt, might help that little delay that sometimes happens.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Honestly, ive never had to follow up on the same deer. I do like to have one in the tube though just in case. You never know when you may find them still suffering or another comes running your way.

Love them Barnes too. No they are not needed to kill deer but i will never be picking lead out of my meat regardless of shot angle.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
ahhh come on, lead only adds flavor.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I started using the BH209 this year, and am very happy with it. I reload after I shoot one, but have never had to use the 2nd shot. I use T/C Shock Wave/ Hornady SSTs, and have never had a deer make it out of sight before dropping, at ranges of 15-150 yards. In the last 3 years, I'm 7-0, so have no intention of changing bullets.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
727 members (007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,916 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.