-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What is the consensus on this trigger system? It has been out long enough now that there should be some feedback. Is there something to it, or is it just another lawyer trigger?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My take is that it was simply a cost savings measure by FN.Rather than have parts for two different triggers only have one.I would rather have the old style simple exposed trigger of the New Haven Winchester.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the new trigger. Much better out of the box than the old one...and easier for an amateur to adjust. Probably more likely to have issues with ice dirt, etc, at least in theory. But don't see why it would be any worse than the M700, or other enclosed designs.

PS: don't think there will be a consensus grin

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I think the MOA is a more contemporary American trigger in that it matches the dominant shooting application. Most people are concerned with bench accuracy and a light, adjustable trigger is conducive to that. A few old curmudgeons (myself among them) put equal or more weight on field durabilty and like the simplicity of the old exposed trigger. I refer to it as an American trigger because in other places they do not prioritize accuracy so highly. My limited experience in Africa is that they put a lot more emphasis on 100-150 yard quick accuracy and second shots (as opposed to hitting a 400 yard clay pigeon) than we do.

If you have ever had an enclosed trigger go wonky in below zero temps, you appreciate the old design, even if it can never be tuned to varmint rifle levels.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I too trust and prefer the old style trigger. But I've had one of the MOA guns for several years and it hasn't caused a problem yet. I know I need a few decades to say for sure, but so far, so good.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I like the rugged reliability of the old design. Doubt I'll ever have a use for one of the new ones.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The new ones might be fine if they came from the factory with "Ernie the Gunsmith" springs already installed. I've never been able to get one of the new triggers adjusted anywhere near 3lbs in the four FN Winchesters I own. I have no problems with the older ones.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
yep need Ernie's spring to get it down to a decent level.. design wise it's not a bad trigger but the old style was better IMHO.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll take the old style.

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by utah708
I think the MOA is a more contemporary American trigger in that it matches the dominant shooting application. Most people are concerned with bench accuracy and a light, adjustable trigger is conducive to that. A few old curmudgeons (myself among them) put equal or more weight on field durabilty and like the simplicity of the old exposed trigger. I refer to it as an American trigger because in other places they do not prioritize accuracy so highly. My limited experience in Africa is that they put a lot more emphasis on 100-150 yard quick accuracy and second shots (as opposed to hitting a 400 yard clay pigeon) than we do.

If you have ever had an enclosed trigger go wonky in below zero temps, you appreciate the old design, even if it can never be tuned to varmint rifle levels.

This.

Out of 5 MOA's none needed adjustment for me. Can't speak to durability because I have not used them for 30-40 years.

While on the subject,and along the lines of what Utah said above, I got an earful from an old pal last week up in Maine about enclosed triggers. He is an experienced competitor and hunter so we have that out of the way.

He had canoed back into the Allagash during deer season,living outdoors for a couple of weeks. Into the hunt he hit a couple days of drizzling rain,followed by snow and temps in the teens.

His enclosed trigger froze solid and the rifle would not function.I won't mention the rifle make, only that he is lefty....He pulled the rifle apart and somehow got the trigger thawed with hot water and dried enough.That far back in, he was out of commission and could not hunt until he fixed it.

I was not surprised as I have seen the same thing.

As a competitive shooter and active hunter, his view is that enclosed triggers are fine on target/varmint rifles but not the trick for a wilderness rifle or one used under adverse conditions. He said that we get too carried away in the quest for accuracy and sometimes leave dependability and ruggedness on the table.

He asked me to find him a left hand M70 Classic in 270....said he'd rather carry a heavy rifle that works than a light one he couldn't depend on.

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/26/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by utah708

This.

Out of 5 MOA's none needed adjustment for me. Can't speak to durability because I have not used them for 30-40 years.

While on the subject,and along the lines of what Utah said above, I got an earful from an old pal last week up in Maine about enclosed triggers. He is an experienced competitor and hunter so we have that out of the way.

He had canoed back into the Allagash during deer season,living outdoors for a couple of weeks. Into the hunt he hit a couple days of drizzling rain,followed by snow and temps in the teens.

His enclosed trigger froze solid and the rifle would not function.I won't mention the rifle make, only that he is lefty....He pulled the rifle apart and somehow got the trigger thawed with hot water and dried enough.That far back in, he was out of commission and could not hunt until he fixed it.

I was not surprised as I have seen the same thing.

As a competitive shooter and active hunter, his view is that enclosed triggers are fine on target/varmint rifles but not the trick for a wilderness rifle or one used under adverse conditions. He said that we get too carried away in the quest for accuracy and sometimes leave dependability and ruggedness on the table.

He asked me to find him a left hand M70 Classic in 270....said he'd rather carry a heavy rifle that works than a light one he couldn't depend on.

BobinNH knows his stuff......well said Bob!

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty much sums it up.

KISS theory at it's finest

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Problem is finding one of the old ones..........

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot
Problem is finding one of the old ones..........

I may be wrong, but I think an old one might not fit on a rifle originally fitted with the MOA. Timney, I believe, sells different triggers for the two models.

Alaska Arms L.L.C. makes a M70 type for 98s that looks good, as it should for $200+.

The best idea is to get yourself a pre-64 (making sure, some bozo hasn't fitted it with a Timney).

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The Ruger seems to be the best option going if a fellow wants a new rifle these days that will function well continuously in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by pabucktail; 11/26/14.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I currently have a VZ24 at the smith getting an Alaskan Arms trigger to replace the box trigger that a previous owner had installed.

If they made them for the FN model 70's I would change them out in a heartbeat.

For example;
I spent the last two days deer hunting in rain/snow, wet conditions. I was 2-3 miles deep a couple of times.

Our opening weekend was single digit temps. Perfect conditions for a trigger to freeze.

If I only hunted out of shooting shacks, non freezing climates, no big deal.

I had a 700 trigger freeze up on me one year. Fortunately it did not cost me anything. Grabbed the backup. Thawed it out, cleaned, lubed and it is good to go.

My go to hunting rifles now all have old style model 70 triggers. ie Pre-64's and Classics.

Arcus Venator
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I put a lighter spring in mine and it works great. Granted it is a closed trigger but there are a LOT of rifles that see hard use with closed triggers.

The original design is certainly far more simple and easier to maintain in the field.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have easily gotten the old style triggers to a 2 1/2 pound pull.A little polishing and Brownells action lube go`s a long way.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 3,238 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.