Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigswede358

Awesome buck. What a monster. My grandpa told me once of a 300 lb plus deer he killed while guiding some elk hunters. That was back in the 40's or 50's though. Right in Broomd's back yard.

I really appreciated that story, Brent. Thanks for sharing.
I love hearing that north Idaho history especially when it occurred right on our place!
It's amazing how those giants can evade hunters, vehicles etc. and get killed right on local properties. I've hunted many, many times up in the high country around us, but always end up in the back stand during the rut waiting on our local does to bring in the big boys.
I went back into the backyard bedding area this week (Obviously I avoid that area during the season) and I was shocked at the destruction--scores of rubs on 3-4" trees--everywhere. Hard to miss too, the buck I killed has a couple of nasty 1" stickers coming off his bases and his rubs are obvious due to the deep gouging.

I'll share a quick story...Cory B. was hunting down by our pond about twenty years ago, long before we lived here. He was walking through at first light blowing a grunt call, and I suspect he had some does estrous scent on himself...
Before he knew it he was pinned down flat on his back with a massive rutting whitetail trying to gore him. Cory said he was lucky to flail and kick the deer off to where it finally bounded away. Thankfully Cory is a big man.
He was shook up after that for some time, who wouldn't be!

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What an amazing deer, and hunt! Well done, Lefty! My bro went to school at the U of I, and he had all kinds of huge Whitetail stories. Nothing like yours was mentioned! I've seen deer that would go 300 live weight killed, and they looked big laying there. Can't quite picture an elk-sized body on a deer!

There is a big old Muley that comes into my yard on and off all year. He is a 6x5 this year. In the spring and summer, he and his buds are small. This year, when he was losing his velvet, he showed up once and tore up a lilac bush. He didn't look much bigger in the body. When the rut started, he showed up again, after getting his ass kicked by I don't know what, but he had gashes and a big hole in his hind quarter on the left side. He was a GIANT. He looked double the size he did in summer. I wouldn't try to guess what he weighed. I think the testosterone quantity has much to do with what the big bucks weigh from day to day.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hello Ladies and Gents, thought I would join to share the story of Lefty's Monster.

Please bare with me because this happened some two months ago...

First off, I am the handsome devil in the shot with the nice buck. Secondly, this was my first hunt with Lefty, and I (and my legs and back) can vouch for the size of this deer. Remember, the young guys at deer camp do the work.

The day Lefty bagged this guy, everyone who had a buck was already back at deer camp, waiting for Lefty (he always was the last back to camp) to start chow. I heard a vehicle hauling a down the road, and low and behold Lefty comes roaring up to camp skidding out down the driveway talking about I just shot a monster. Ok.

Driving to the location Lefty states that the buck is only 150 yards away from a logging road, and its a one mile trek through the logging road (no vehicles). Fine lets get this over with I'm thinking. (The buck is actually 3 miles down the logging road, but one mile as the crow flies, thanks old timer. )

We get to the buck, and I am amazed, the darn thing looks like a freaking horse, its stinky, ugly, and looks retarded, did I mention it looked like a horse? The deer is down at the bottom a nasty clear cut pocked with missing stump potholes, and its already dark with this thing.

Did I mention Lefty's patented wolf protector he left on the buck? He has a patent on it so you'll have to ask him yourself.

The buck was so heavy it took all 5 of us to grab an antler/leg/tail what ever, and count to three and lift and swing/drag a few feet at a time. You could not walk/drag this buck on the ground, too hard, tried it. At least we had a deer cart that worked on the logging road, but the deer was too big for the cart, it just wasn't a fun night, and we had not even got to the truck. It took five men it seemed like 8 tries to lift this buck up to the tail gate and shove him up. Ridiculous. After all this loving/hugging we had been giving this buck, the gland oil was all over. Stinky mofo's for sure.

No one dared even mess with getting that guy out of the truck that night, no way, hungry, tired, and going to sleep. Lefty do it on your own bud.

The next night we dragged this guy out of the truck, and over to the tree to hang. My buck was a 180lb and we had to put the log at least nine foot high to keep the ten point off the ground. We go to hang lefty's monster, and again, it takes four of us to shove up and one on the rope/pully to take in the slack. Lefty's bucks head / legs were still on the ground when we bottomed out on the log/scale, even then the scale was damn near bottomed out. We tied the head and legs up and voila! Scale freaking pegged, even tried lifting up to see if scale was stuck, and it wasnt.

Lefty is not bullsh!ting. This guy really got a whitetail of a lifetime. I know I was there .

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Welcome and thanks for the story,not that I doubted Lefty

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
There are a few that don't believe deer get that nig because they're the greatest hunters in the world and haven't seen them.

Well they exist.

Thanks fur jumping in and giving your resion, I liked it. smile

Welcome to the fire!!

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I believe it...
Its on the internet, that's as good as gospel.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Look up the MN record deer for weight.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by tzone
Look up the MN record deer for weight.

Just going from memory with no google-Fu, I think it's 511 pounds.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/blogs/deer-pictures-real-slobberknockers

----------------------------------------------------------

Great buck Lefty Carbon -buck of a lifetime .

I saw a buck in SW Ohio where i'm from -there are a lot of big deer around there but this buck dwarfed a typical big buck.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
It's been asked several times but I haven't seen an answer from Lefty. Is 375 pounds whole weight or dressed weight?

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I believe ya, Lefty. Congratulations!

Pictured is a Colorado High Plains Whitetail that my son shot a few years ago.

Weighed 315 lbs. field dressed (gutted).

Had a huge rack before he did a running headstand and shattered it.

I've never seen or killed a deer that big before or since, but they are out there.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm from Missouri so forgive me.........

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Lefty got back to me and said that was dressed weight, so live weight would be 420 - 445 pounds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Copied and pasted directly from the Outdoor Life website.
"On a cold November day in 1926, Carl Lenander Jr. dropped a monstrous Minnesota buck with a single shot. Field-dressed, the deer weighed 402 pounds. The state Conservation Department calculated its live weight to be 511 pounds. No heavier whitetail deer has ever been recorded. "

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (338reddog, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 450yukon, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 17 invisible), 1,676 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,184
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.