Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Wearing a headlamp above the bill presents problems for close up stuff for those of us who wear bifocals. If I dip my head far enough to light up my hands, I'm looking through the top of my glasses, not the bottom, close-up part.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Miles, those batteries are the same ( generally) as whats used in electric fence chargers...I buy replacements for my headlight or spares at the feed store all the time, generally around 15 bucks...

Might have to hunt it up and see if I can get it going. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
working in a nuke plant, which is basically a concrete cave, you do not go into containment or anywhere for that matter without head lamp on your hard hat, we use petzl and Streamlight. the petzel is a nice soft yet bright flood, that i use day to day, and when im doing a weld i use the streamlight attached to my welding hood with velcro, to light up the work area so i can see it through my autodarkening hood, and a Streamlight tac2 for weld inspection. not the brightest lights out there, but they are very solid and very very reliable.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
ive also got LED flashlights stashed everywhere.....never know when im going to forget my headlamp....one of these days ild like to get a good small flashlight to live in my pocket permanently...unfortunately the cheap ones turn on way to easy and kill the batteries fast.....

Fenix ld09

handy and runs on a single AA, 130 lumens

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Okanagan
My jaws ache in memory of gutting a moose in the dark in the rain in a swamp while holding a flashlight in my mouth. Ditto to those who never want to do that again! It makes a man appreciate headlamps.

In a brilliant innovation I discovered that you can hold a headlamp in your hand when a handheld light is preferred. laugh

When walking on uneven ground, a light held in hand away from eyes makes it much easier to see bumps and dips due to throwing shadows to indicate depth, show trip roots, etc. When the light source is close to the eyes I trip and stumble more.

Ditto to having smallish LED lights stashed everywhere in dresser drawers, night stands, glove boxes, tackle boxes, tool boxes, shaving kit, brief case, etc. Also stash inexpensive knives in most such places.

Added: a headlamp has to be compact and light weight for me, no wires, separate battery packs, etc.

ANd in another discovery we found we could clamp good heat resistant hand held lights to our fire helmets for headlights too. Grins

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hardly ever use a hand held flashlight anymore. I have several diff. headlights.

If you really like something,you better buy two!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
What's the runtime and lumens rating on the Fenix vs the Nitecore? I own flashlights from both, but I'm still trying to decide which headlamp to buy. I've got a very old Tika which is not quite bright enough for gutting a deer after dark

nitecore hc50
[Linked Image]

turbo limited to 3 min due to heat protection

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have an AR coating on my glasses so reflections don't bother me, but I turn my hat around backward so the bill does not obscure the light at my feet.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
AyUp headlamp with 700 lumens on the highest setting. It also adapts to fit on my Bike helmet or bars. rechargable and about 4 hours of light on high. I carry the small backup battery as well when night hiking etc.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Headlamp all the way. The Black Diamond Icon is my go to "bigger" headlamp. It has an external battery pack and 70m beam.

The smaller packweight one is a petzl tikka.

Gun control means hitting your target.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
after using it for a week now, I give the Nitecore HC50 two thumbs up.

Works well and the light modes cover all uses.

Dave

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Who uses hand-held lights while hunting?

I personally love taking away one of my two hands while hiking mountains in the dark...grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Love a headlamp. Have one on every morning while loading the truck

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love them too. They make me think I'm in Alaska and on TV.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
For most tasks, I'll use a headlamp with white primary and secondary colored LEDs...but there is always a handheld in the truck and the pack.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a small handheld led that has a hat clip, absolutely love it. serves dual purpose

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

628 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,257
Posts18,448,126
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.