Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Top of my things to do list for next year is to replace my sliding glass door. Replacing because it's wooden exterior is rotting out at the bottom. Curious if this is job I can do myself? This is coming from someone who is still proud of himself for swapping out the hot water heater with sharkbites....

Homedepot has the appropriate size and configuration for $527.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think if you have to ask, you will need some help

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Basically this is a bigger deal than me watching a few YouTube videos and getting after it?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's not as hard as it looks. The biggest problem is that sliders are darn heavy. Don't try to move it without help.

A few years back I replaced one with a regular door with sidelights on both sides. The biggest problem I had was that a standard sized slider is 2" shorter than a standard exterior door. I had to cut 2" off the door and shorten the frame. That was harder than the framing and finishing combined.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
2 or 3 man job? Getting some help won't be a problem

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Should be straight forward. I've replaced our windows and have been putting off replacing the sliding glass door, partly because it's an oddball size and I need to order a custom one.

Pulling the trim off on both sides should show you where the frame is anchored to the studs, then it's just a matter of pulling the nails or sawzallin em through the gap.

Slide old frame out slide new one in, anchor in place and use a spray foam to seal the gap, trim it out and paint trim.

Those are the basics.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two men should be enough. Make sure you shim it until it moves smoothly before you secure it in place.

Trust me on this.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Make sure that you have supplies and tools on hand to replace the rotted areas when you remove the old slider and befor you put in the new one. Rotting out at the bottoms earns there is damage you can't see.

Last edited by MissouriEd; 12/12/14.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hmmm how does one prepare for the unknown......?

I was worried about that myself. My house has never taken in water but I follow what you're saying.

Last edited by woodson; 12/12/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hope y'all don't mind me butting in with a related question. I need to replace the "rolling stock" on my (damn heavy) sliding glass door which is no problem. But shifting with the clay in this area the frame is out of square. Is this something a reasonably thoughtful guy can do himself or would I be making more trouble for myself?

Haven't looked into it at all yet, won't be warm enough to do for many months. The guys on TV make installing and squaring door frames look easy - but I've been mislead before.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
its not a big deal. i put an anderson in a few years ago with one guy helping. they are quite heavy. the directions that came with it were very easy to follow and it came out perfect. that said, i'm thinking $527 ain't getting you much of a slider. my anderson was twice that and is superb.

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by woodson
Hmmm how does one prepare for the unknown......?

Sawzall, crowbar, sledgehammer, house jacks...

Just kidding, FWIW carpenters usually charge a lot less if you call them before you start. smile

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rem141r
its not a big deal. i put an anderson in a few years ago with one guy helping. they are quite heavy. the directions that came with it were very easy to follow and it came out perfect. that said, i'm thinking $527 ain't getting you much of a slider. my anderson was twice that and is superb.

An Andersen is the ONLY slider worth fooling with. If you can't afford one of those, I'd go back with a simple patio(fixed glass section with a in or outswing door). If you've never installed a door unit, this IS NOT the one to learn on.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
yep. anderson frenchwood slider is the one i put in. i highly recommend it. a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
2 person job and can be done in a day unless the un foreseen happens eg, termites, water damage, rot/mold under threshold,....then you need to know what and how or have a good contact available.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
cost me about $1300, but I had a contractor buddy replace my old one with a Pella Vinyl frame double pane, venetian blinds in the middle sliding door.
That was three years ago, and has turned out to be a great investment.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i see you are in maryland. you should have a lansing building product branch near you. i'm a contractor and i buy ATRIUM brand doors from them all the time. the sliding doors are all vinyl and come with low e glass. they have a lifetime warranty . the thing that wears out on most sliding doors is the bottom tract where the rollers ride. this is mostly due to people spraying lube on the track to make them roll easier. when you add lube you make all the dirt stick to the track and it makes the wear even faster. these doors come with a lift out replaceable roller track. if it ever starts to wear they will give you a new one.

the doors come in white vinyl or tan. you can get the base model with screen for around 600-700.00 . most doors at lowes/home depot only have a 10yr warranty max.i have installed the ATRIUM doors for atleast 10yrs without one problem.they are very nice doors and easy to install.

lansing building products and atrium windows are both huge companies that have been around for years. doors are made in north carolina.if you buy from lowes or home depot and need replacement parts you never know if they will still carry your brand.

Last edited by srwshooter; 12/16/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The R&R of the window is one issue, the rot in the sill is more problematic.

You'll need to fix that, and do proper prep so it doesn't happen again. That can be a bit of work..

Best surprise I've uncovered while doing this job was new exterior trim on an existing unit turning into jackhammering out a concrete step, 24 feet of new rim joist and mud sill, jacking up the house, repairing joist ends, 200 sq ft new siding, new walk out deck,and replacing a broken picture window.. 50 bucks turned into a cha ching..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
832 members (10gaugemag, 12308300, 1234, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 83 invisible), 3,261 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,195
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.