Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-512473.html

Learning new things every day.

Again and again I hear it said that what is inside the barrel is mo important that the outside, ie., that a high quality light barrel is mo better than a cheaper heavy barrel.

I don't have the experience across the board of so many rifles and custom builds as many here do. I have an open mind but...

My factory out of the box Remingtons will all shoot sub moa with the right loads. My factory out the box varmint weight barrel rifles shoot sub moa for longer strings. This is all I know.

Fluting they say is just cosmetics.

A bench rest guru up the road splained to me the virtues of the MTU taper once; said it makes em whip less and so on.

I am beginning to wonder how much is voodoo and how much can be explained via scientific process observation, repeatable tests.

Do you have a Kreiger or Lilja that is sporter weight or lighter that will give you a 5 to 10 shot string sub moa?

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Read this thread and then get back to us.

[b][color:#FF0000]The Montana Project Thread[/color][/b]

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
"heat reveals stress"

In the bedding or in the metalurgy of the barrel itself???

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I understand in the steel itself. That thread was an eye-opener for me....because I always thought heated-up skinny barrels would shift POI no matter the stress or whatever.

BTW.....You can PM Clint (ctsmith) and ask him. I guess he's a pretty decent guy. LOL. I sold him the subject 308 Montana.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I had a barrel with a bend in it. Shoot a nice group over here, let it sit a minute, shoots a nice three shot group over there. It was repeatable too.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
I had a barrel with a bend in it. Shoot a nice group over here, let it sit a minute, shoots a nice three shot group over there. It was repeatable too.

crazy

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I understand in the steel itself. That thread was an eye-opener for me....because I always thought heated-up skinny barrels would shift POI no matter the stress or whatever.

BTW.....You can PM Clint (ctsmith) and ask him. I guess he's a pretty decent guy. LOL. I sold him the subject 308 Montana.

That thread gave me a lot to chew on actually.

But reality is what it is. To address stress in in the metal the only cure I know of is the cryrogenic treatment. Ain't never had one done.

I am wondering of any custom barrel shops are doing that treatment now a days as a matter of course in large batches to get the price down???????????

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't think cryo treating is always the answer, depends on the steel. Some barrel makers do temper their barrels (stick in an oven at prescribed temp. and soak time) to relieve stress so I don't know if I agree with heating a barrel up during shooting would cause any inherent stress to raise its ugly head unless there is uneven heating of the steel causing expansion at different rates/places.

My theory on the subject has more to do with the contour of the barrel( all else being equal). A barrel with an exterior parallel to its bore, or close to it, such as the original military Mauser step barrels expand with heat more uniformly than continuously decreasing radius sporter barrels(obviously the thicker the barrel the less this effect occurs). Throw in the insulating effect of the stock on the bottom half of the barrel and you get the top dissipating heat faster than the bottom, possibly the cause of vertical string and the like. Again,just my theory which has not been tested and I'm no scientist, so take what you want from it.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Robert, I don't have a Krieger or Lilja installed right now, but I have a Rock #3 chambered in 30-06 and a Rock #2 chambered in 25-06 that will both put 5 shots into an inch, depending on bullet choice. The 25-06 will outshoot the 30-06, but they both shoot well.

I had a Bartlein #3 that would shoot very well. I have a Bartlein #2 at a smiths waiting for a wood stock. I have full confidence it will shoot well.

Besides, how important is the MOA standard? I really need a rifle that will put all shots inside 2 or 2.5 inches at 100 yards. Then I'm good out to 250 or so. Lucky for me, my rifles shoot a bit better than they need to.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
633 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 66 invisible), 2,803 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.