Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Guys for those of you that are using the 357 out in deer woods I'd appreciate hearing about your 357 magnum deer medicine.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My load does not use a cast bullet but I use a 158gr XTP and a grain under max of W 296. I always get good exit holes on broad side shots out to 50 yards.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Most any 160-180 Keith or LBT design with all the H110/296 or Lil'Gun the case will hold is as good as it gets with cast bullets. Unless a heavy bone is struck they will exit the off side.

Last year one of the guys I hunt with took a nice doe with a 6.5" S&W 27-2 using the same load as dsink. The shot was at about 35 yards and punched right through the lungs with little apparent expansion....and out the other side. Deer ran toward his stand and as it passed a second round broke a front leg causing the deer to fall. As it was getting up the third round hit between the shoulder blades breaking the spine.

Don't expect a drop in their tracks reaction with a .357 and plan on doing some tracking...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Federal used to have a cast 180gr 357 mag load. I think I have a box somewhere if interested.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by RJM
Most any 160-180 Keith or LBT design with all the H110/296 or Lil'Gun the case will hold is as good as it gets with cast bullets. Unless a heavy bone is struck they will exit the off side.

Last year one of the guys I hunt with took a nice doe with a 6.5" S&W 27-2 using the same load as dsink. The shot was at about 35 yards and punched right through the lungs with little apparent expansion....and out the other side. Deer ran toward his stand and as it passed a second round broke a front leg causing the deer to fall. As it was getting up the third round hit between the shoulder blades breaking the spine.

Don't expect a drop in their tracks reaction with a .357 and plan on doing some tracking...

Bob

+1. I'd add 300MP to the powder list. Shoot for the shoulders. Striking bone is your best bet for easy recovery.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
DoubleTap makes a pretty hot 200 gr. WFNGC load in .357 and Buffalo Bore makes a nice 180 gr. WFNGC. Both shoot very well in my S&W 66 and 686. I think they would both be excellent.

D
D
I normally use a 180 WFNGC with a max load of H110. I am shooting a 6" GP100 with a ULTRADOT Matchdot ll. Recently, I have talked to Missouri bullets and ordered there HI-Tek coated cast bullets. [180 WFNPB] They claim there is no smoke, fouling, and you can gain up to 200 fps over the standard lubed cast bullets. I did not try them yet because of weather and other obligations. If the claims are right I will be switching to them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/index.html

this nei design works well in my brother in laws marlin 357 mag carbine,over 9.5 grains of blue dot
I think you'll find as i have that a 4%-5% tin added to wheel weights makes a very noticeable difference in the appearance and the ability of the bullets to rivet yet remain relatively intact after expanding on impact.Ive used it and it kills hogs and deer with very low recoil or muzzle flash

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=357%20Magnum&Weight=All&type=Handgun

Last edited by 340mag; 12/17/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven't had a chance to take deer with my 357 yet, but the two bullets I plan to try are a 170 gr hp cast from a mp 360640 mold, and a 200 gr WFN from a ballisticast. H-110 seems to give me the best accuracy, and I figure with the 357 I want all the speed I can get.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I use a 180 pug from mbc. It gets 14.8 gr of w296 behind it. It is the most accurate load I've loaded yet, with any bullet. Use at your own risk, not a published load.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I don't hunt with a 357 but if I did it would likely be with one of these assuming the dia is right for the gun.

http://www.westernbullet.com/ly3gr24.html

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

The bold print states the problem pretty clearly.

The current mania for hard-cast flat meplat bullets running at high velocities is great for penetration, but penetration is rarely a problem when hunting small thin-skinned game such as deer.

I use a 158 gr SJHP bullet for hunting with my 357 Mag revolvers, and I don't drive it particularly hard. The dead-soft lead core expands reliably and leaves a heckuvan exit wound, so deer drop quickly and reliably. I've taken quartering shots as well, with good effect.

You could be equally well-served with a 158 gr SWC cast to a BHN of 11-14 or so, which will deform on impact and cause impressive damage to internal organs.

Expanding bullet simply work way better on game than solids. Hard cast LBT-type bullets are effectively solids and have no real place in hunting small to medium non-dangerous game.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob

The bold print states the problem pretty clearly.

The current mania for hard-cast flat meplat bullets running at high velocities is great for penetration, but penetration is rarely a problem when hunting small thin-skinned game such as deer.

I use a 158 gr SJHP bullet for hunting with my 357 Mag revolvers, and I don't drive it particularly hard. The dead-soft lead core expands reliably and leaves a heckuvan exit wound, so deer drop quickly and reliably. I've taken quartering shots as well, with good effect.

You could be equally well-served with a 158 gr SWC cast to a BHN of 11-14 or so, which will deform on impact and cause impressive damage to internal organs.

Expanding bullet simply work way better on game than solids. Hard cast LBT-type bullets are effectively solids and have no real place in hunting small to medium non-dangerous game.

Doc, dsink's load is a JHP, not a hard cast. A true LBT WFN will leave wound channels in my expereince like an expanding bullet. Some of the LBT copies don't work as well in my experience.

Originally Posted by dsink
My load does not use a cast bullet but I use a 158gr XTP and a grain under max of W 296. I always get good exit holes on broad side shots out to 50 yards.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
John, thanks for pointing out my misread.

I've had good results with WFN bullets in 357 as long as they're cast fairly soft. I've also had good results with JHP bullets provided they aren't driven at velocities outside of their velocity envelope for expansion.

I guess what I should've said was you need to match your bullet and velocity to the range and game you're expecting.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 3,147 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,096
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.