Cold & Forboding?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
one odd thought here.

Winchester simplifies there design to go cheaper.

But didn't Ruger start up right after that, and make the same claw extractor configuration that Winchester just dropped.

spotshooter the Ruger M77 was not a CRF,and the extractor was not the same as a pre 64. The receiver(and likely other parts,too) were an investment casting(think that's the term). The extractor on the M77 does not function the same as a pre 64; the M77 was a PF rifle.

OTOH, pre 64's receivers were machined from a billet of 4140 CM. Far as I know, there were no castings on the pre 64.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
IMHO most of the pre-64's are over rated and over priced. The pre-WW-2 rifles are some nice guns if you base your opinion entirely on craftsmanship rather than performance, but that is true of most any rifle of the era. I'd not be interested in any model 70 made after the war up to about 1980, CRF or PF because of quality concerns.

In 1964 a lot of shooters went crazy when CRF was no longer offered and prices on ANY pre-64 skyrocketed simply because it was CRF. A great many of those guns were not left stock, but used as the basis for customs. Compared to the early PF's made in 1964 up through the 1970's the pre-64's looked pretty good. But by about 1980 that changed.

With Ruger, Winchester, Kimber and Interarms rifles available now with CRF actions the 70's made after the war up to 1963 are just another 50+ year old rifle as far as I'm concerned. Most of them shouldn't sell for a premium although some buyers will pay the price. There are a lot of folks still under the impression that any pre-64 is worth a premium. That is simply no longer true.

I think the PF model 70's made in the 80's and 90's are as good as any rifle ever made by anyone. As a shooter and hunting rifle I'd prefer one of the Classics to any of the pre-64's. Some of the older guns might be better made, but are too valuable to actually use anymore. The post war pre-64's aren't any better than the Classics. The jury is still out on current production FN made rifles. Mine is a good one, but I'm hearing mixed reports.

CRF vs PF isn't a deal breaker for me, although I do have a slight preference for CRF. I've never noted a bit of difference in feeding reliability. I do think the extraction and ejection on CRF is a stronger, more bullet proof system and generally prefer it. The way I see it it doesn't hurt a thing, rifles don't cost a dime more with the feature and it might come in handy.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You are correct Bob, no castings.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How about a pre-pre-64? I have a model 54 in 220 swift.
I know very little about it except it's in great condition and most Winny fans drool over it when they see it.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
rosco I like Mausers , too....press me hard enough, I'll tell you they are a better CRF than a pre 64.

Yes I do trick moves to a pre 64 M70....two....that's all. I replace the stock,mostly with a good synthetic. I have the trigger tuned....That's it. Cause that's all they need smile

Should add that I have not seen a factory stock on anything, in 40+ years I thought was worth spit,except a Kimber and a Rem 700 MR. If I plan to keep rifle,it gets restocked.

But I have hunted them with the original stocks,too...mostly the FW's but standards in 300,338, and 375,the weights of which are pretty much in line with what's made today in those cartridges.

Then I hunt and shoot with them until the barrel pukes, and put on another one. Or I get bored.

It's the M70's made after 1964 that require most of the trick moves.

It isn't about nostalgia at all for me...I'm not that sentimental. smile It's pure utilitarian. Every one I have picked up, bought,shot, hunted with,has worked exactly the way it is suppose to....every one,every time, no exceptions. I can't say that about many other rifles.

The rifle is more than the sum of its parts because it got that "Final 10%" that Phil Shoemaker wrote about. Someone tweaked every one to be sure it worked right before it left the factory.All the parts work in sync and were tuned that way.No factory rifle I know of in the same category got as much hands on treatment as the pre 64....which is why many of todays rifles frequently don't work as they should,and guys complain.

Have to disagree with anyone who says they aren't as accurate as others, don't shoot.It isn't true. They are fully as accurate, on average, as most anything made today. Bed them properly, the barrels will shoot...but bedding is something we do with all rifles. When folks say "I owned one of this or that and it didn't shoot"....sorry I don't call that experience.

Yes they are more expensive than they were...people collect them. If you sold a pre 64 FW for a grand,and snickered, bought a Ruger or Remington,thinking you are ahead, you got snookered....the Ruger/Remington is worth shidt,and the pre 64 is now worth $1500-$1800..and the action alone is worth more than the Ruger/Remington. Congratulations? Don't trade stock or real estate. smile

The OP wants to read about this stuff,so suggest he get a copy of Robert Rule's book to get a feel for how they were made. He covers the post 64 as well,and what the differences were.

He also might do a search on here, and elsewhere,about problems with pre 64's. What he won't find, except only rarely if at all, are threads about failure to feed fire, extract,and cycle,bolt handles that fall off, safeties that stop working, accidental discharges when the safeties are released, broken clip extractors,jammed plunger ejectors, firing pins that back out from slipped set screws,triggers that quit from ice and debris,barrels that don't shoot, empty cases that get ejected into scopes and bounce back into loading ports,connector triggers,extractors that don't extract,MIM parts that break, barrels installed crooked, bulged chambers,and a host of other maladies too numerous to mention.

What he will read about, are guys like Harry Manners and Fin Aggard, Pinnel& Talifson,and Ralph Young who lived entire careers among dangerous game with pre 64's pretty much the way they came...likely because the rifles worked right all the time. It isn't sentiment or nostalgia...it's function.

The other thing he won't see, is concerns about "warranties" because,mostly, they were not needed. Pre 64 users regard them as a curious necessity of a generation raised on stuff that is gonna break. Generally there are no warranties needed on almost anything New Haven built before 1964.

He might read about durability,like with my match shooting pal who fired close to 200,000 rounds through a pre 64 M70 match rifle in practice and competition, that wore several barrels...original trigger and extractor. Never a bauble.

They ain't perfect ( never said they were) but they were good. There are a lot of good rifles out there today. But they have not made anything truly "better" since in a hunting rifle Depending of course, on what you call "hunting". smile

This is precisely what makes me sentimental and nostalgic. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by White_Bear
How about a pre-pre-64? I have a model 54 in 220 swift.
I know very little about it except it's in great condition and most Winny fans drool over it when they see it.

I also have a model 54 in captivity... It was my uncles and I treasure it for that reason...

I was young, but recall some of the talk when winchester remade the model 70 in 1964. I simply do not remember any fascination with the CRF action, but remember well all the bitching about the newer stock, and the quality of machining and fitting...
I don't recall hearing much about the loss of CRF until a few writers in the late 70s or early 80s stirred that pot. And not that shooters were unaware of the difference. I had a double feed incident with a push fed rifle in the early 70s. My dad didn't wring has hands over the lack of crf. He put me on dry fire action drills til the cows came home. Literally, til the cows came home... I killed the thermometer on our light pole a bajillion times, I suppose...

And... It may mark me as old, but I own a number of winchester rifles... None of them are a "winnie".
My only winnie is a model 700 remington that I rebarreled in 1978 to the winnie (.300 winchester)...
That is, admittedly, being a little picky, and maybe snotty too... I do remember the winnie cartidge and it's rise to fame very well, though...
Things change, I'll deal with it... grin

For all of the talk of the pre-64 model 70, I have heard very little about how poor the stocks were, on them. Never known anyone to shoot one, for very long, with an unaltered factory stock...
Until the advent of the internet, I do not recall even seeing one with an unaltered factory stock...

But back to the model 54... It was both custom stocked and rebarreled to .257 Robts. And it was the first CF rifle that I ever fired. The uncle who owned it bought a model 700 bdl in the late 70s. That is the rifle that he went to his grave shooting.
He was aware of the differences, but being a pragmatic individual, he went with what he felt was the best rifle of his day...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pre-64 70's are nice in ways I just don't appreciate. The things they are "better" at, are things I don't care about. I am happy they give so many people joy...really. To me, though, "better" guns are the most accurate, most rugged and most economical ones.

Of course, I feel that way about pretty much everything in life.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think I've ever heard more than conspicuous jibber jabber and raving of how the "post 64" rifles are junk and the pre-64's are better... so my question is can you list what one should be looking for.. Kind of a hitch-hikers guide if you will.

Can someone cleanly state what parts and processes changed.
OR
The accuracy or other reasons.

So far the only one I remember that was mentioned like that (not that I know this is true)

1) Metal to wood finish "fit" is better on a pre-64?

2) Metal to metal (bolt to action, lug contact, ... ) are tighter ?

3) Blueing is higher quality ?

4) The barrels were made by hot looking Swedish chicks listed in the 223 AI thread.

I was Born in 64 so I want to know....

Any Model 70 CRF made today is superior to a Pre 64 in wood, metal and finish

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by bea175
I don't think I've ever heard more than conspicuous jibber jabber and raving of how the "post 64" rifles are junk and the pre-64's are better... so my question is can you list what one should be looking for.. Kind of a hitch-hikers guide if you will.

OR

So far the only one I remember that was mentioned like that (not that I know this is true)

4) The barrels were made by hot looking Swedish chicks listed in the 223 AI thread.

Except trigger, and bolt handle...

I have one of each. My new 70 (USA built) is VERY nice. My P64 is much smoother - probably because it was hand fitted and its been shot a lot. Both are nice rifles - neither lives in it's factory stock anymore.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
rosco I like Mausers , too....press me hard enough, I'll tell you they are a better CRF than a pre 64.

Yes I do trick moves to a pre 64 M70....two....that's all. I replace the stock,mostly with a good synthetic. I have the trigger tuned....That's it. Cause that's all they need smile

Should add that I have not seen a factory stock on anything, in 40+ years I thought was worth spit,except a Kimber and a Rem 700 MR. If I plan to keep rifle,it gets restocked.

But I have hunted them with the original stocks,too...mostly the FW's but standards in 300,338, and 375,the weights of which are pretty much in line with what's made today in those cartridges.

Then I hunt and shoot with them until the barrel pukes, and put on another one. Or I get bored.

It's the M70's made after 1964 that require most of the trick moves.

It isn't about nostalgia at all for me...I'm not that sentimental. smile It's pure utilitarian. Every one I have picked up, bought,shot, hunted with,has worked exactly the way it is suppose to....every one,every time, no exceptions. I can't say that about many other rifles.

The rifle is more than the sum of its parts because it got that "Final 10%" that Phil Shoemaker wrote about. Someone tweaked every one to be sure it worked right before it left the factory.All the parts work in sync and were tuned that way.No factory rifle I know of in the same category got as much hands on treatment as the pre 64....which is why many of todays rifles frequently don't work as they should,and guys complain.

Have to disagree with anyone who says they aren't as accurate as others, don't shoot.It isn't true. They are fully as accurate, on average, as most anything made today. Bed them properly, the barrels will shoot...but bedding is something we do with all rifles. When folks say "I owned one of this or that and it didn't shoot"....sorry I don't call that experience.

Yes they are more expensive than they were...people collect them. If you sold a pre 64 FW for a grand,and snickered, bought a Ruger or Remington,thinking you are ahead, you got snookered....the Ruger/Remington is worth shidt,and the pre 64 is now worth $1500-$1800..and the action alone is worth more than the Ruger/Remington. Congratulations? Don't trade stock or real estate. smile

The OP wants to read about this stuff,so suggest he get a copy of Robert Rule's book to get a feel for how they were made. He covers the post 64 as well,and what the differences were.

He also might do a search on here, and elsewhere,about problems with pre 64's. What he won't find, except only rarely if at all, are threads about failure to feed fire, extract,and cycle,bolt handles that fall off, safeties that stop working, accidental discharges when the safeties are released, broken clip extractors,jammed plunger ejectors, firing pins that back out from slipped set screws,triggers that quit from ice and debris,barrels that don't shoot, empty cases that get ejected into scopes and bounce back into loading ports,connector triggers,extractors that don't extract,MIM parts that break, barrels installed crooked, bulged chambers,and a host of other maladies too numerous to mention.

What he will read about, are guys like Harry Manners and Fin Aggard, Pinnel& Talifson,and Ralph Young who lived entire careers among dangerous game with pre 64's pretty much the way they came...likely because the rifles worked right all the time. It isn't sentiment or nostalgia...it's function.

The other thing he won't see, is concerns about "warranties" because,mostly, they were not needed. Pre 64 users regard them as a curious necessity of a generation raised on stuff that is gonna break. Generally there are no warranties needed on almost anything New Haven built before 1964.

He might read about durability,like with my match shooting pal who fired close to 200,000 rounds through a pre 64 M70 match rifle in practice and competition, that wore several barrels...original trigger and extractor. Never a bauble.

They ain't perfect ( never said they were) but they were good. There are a lot of good rifles out there today. But they have not made anything truly "better" since in a hunting rifle Depending of course, on what you call "hunting". smile

That is a great post - Thank you sir

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

OR

Yes some of them are very pretty.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

OR

Yes some of them are very pretty.

Indeed Bob. However, beauty, perfect bluing and excellent stock to metal fit doesn't guarantee it's going to function or operate perfectly. That's the true beauty in a pre 64. They will function like a well oiled machine, day in and day out. They've pretty much proven that they are the true "rifleman's rifle". Not really much to debate here. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
bsa that's true.

Rifles "working right" is something the average shooter sort of takes for granted. The way rifles are made today that isn't true;witness the Forbes thread. I'd never fork over $1500 bucks for a rifle that works the way those things seem to be going.

I looked at a SC 375 M70 the other day,which seems very well made and I liked the rifle. My own experience with SC rifles has been quite good and they actually functioned very well,and were nicely finished.

Wish I could fight my way past that trigger. grin

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (44mc, 7887mm08, Akhutr, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 844 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.