Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
All the dies I have right now are rcbs. What dies do you all prefer. Are lee dies any better?

Last edited by pseshooter300; 12/20/14.

Tater
HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends on what you need to do. Hornady FL/seater die sets are pretty good too. Like the sliding pilot for the seater.

If you want to tweak the neck tension as well as setting back the shoulder/body taper to perfection Redding's S bushing neck die and body die work very well. As for seating if you like to manipulate seating depth accurately to fine tune group size, Redding's competition die is a good one. My fav set:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...tch-bushing-neck-die-sets-prod38261.aspx

If you are working with a tiny case like the 204 Ruger bullet seating can be a real pain. RCBS's competition seater die has a cut in the side of the body for easy placement of the bullet for seating.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...s-competition-seater-dies-prod37206.aspx

Last edited by Azshooter; 12/20/14.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Glancing back at some of your posts, I believe you've been working with a 30-06. For that cartridge, because the dies are off the shelf items for the 30-06, here's what I'd use:

Lee collet neck size die

Redding body die

Redding or Forster "competition" seating die

S
spj Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
None for sets, prefer Lee collet die, a Redding body die and a Forster seating die.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Well I have all rcbs dies just wondering if there are better ones

Tater
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That's better addressed by what die for what purpose, rather than blanket by brand.

S
spj Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
yeah "better" depends on your goal. always gravitated to Redding dies for sets but got tired of buying dies that I didn't use. I was late coming to the Lee Collet but have standardized with them across the line. No draw backs for me, accurate ammo that lasts forever. I differ from some and bump the shoulder back every time with the body die.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by mathman
Glancing back at some of your posts, I believe you've been working with a 30-06. For that cartridge, because the dies are off the shelf items for the 30-06, here's what I'd use:

Lee collet neck size die

Redding body die

Redding or Forster "competition" seating die

^^^^^^ This combination of dies makes the best set in my opinion. In the Forster storage case of course.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll add a 'goal' and look for answers. Like pseshooter, I mostly have RCBS dies and a couple of Lee dies that have been 'adequate' so far.

My use for all of my rifles is:
1. Accurate - sub-moa
2. Hunting purposes from near 0 yards out to 600-700.

I currently double-weigh each load and do have some fairly accurate loads (sub-.5 MOA) on a couple of rifles but not all.

Interested to hear what, if anything, changes from the suggestions already given.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
You will gain more by constructing straight ammo then you will double weighing your loads.

I found just switching to Forster dies significantly reduced runout of standard dies.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I use some Forsters as well, but you can adjust most standard FL dies to work like Forster's by raising the expander ball as close to the neck portion of the die as possible.

I don't much care for Hornady's sizing dies. They'll work, but are a PITA to adjust, and can't be manipulated as easily as many others to produce straight cases. But their seating dies are pretty darn good.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I don't much care for Hornady's sizing dies. They'll work, but are a PITA to adjust, and can't be manipulated as easily as many others to produce straight cases. But their seating dies are pretty darn good.

I would agree with that.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 12/20/14.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Forsters are my favorites then Redding!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hmmm. Been using Lee sets, then got some RCBS FL- though seldom use them. The Forster seating die consensus has me curious. Someone tell me what they are like and why they are preferred. What bugs me about the rcbs seating dies are I tend to unscrew them from the turret when backing off the smaller seating screw. That type of thing.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
372 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 35 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,898
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.