Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Steve,

Luckily, more rifle manufacturers are addressing stock fit these days, though usually with synthetic or laminated stocks rather than nice wood.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do like nice wood stocks, but must say that the Tuperware stock on my Walmart .243 worked just fine shooting Jack rabbits in the snow yesterday. The rabbits did not seem to care and I was not really worried about impressing anyone. Was kind of nice to not worry about it getting wet and scraped up in the brush.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Improper stock fit affects felt recoil, trigger pull, shouldering and relative stability when shooting offhand. Even from a field rest, so-so stock fit can make things more difficult.

While many people do not like plastic, stocks can be easier to design and adapt to length of pull and rise. Fitted stocks can also be made more cheaply, and corrected without a trip to the gun shop, which keeps cost down.

Spacers, pads, cheek rests and accessory rails have been incorporated in the high end plastic stocks, and we should see that convenience filter down to less expensive ones in the future.

Of course, price is usually a prohibitive factor for many. Aluminum bedding rails and attaching parts are cheaper to manufacture and install, but the newness made them more 'spensive.

Now that the method is in common usage, stocks (and fit) should be less expensive and easier to do.

Edited to add: I bought an ugly Choate Varmint stock that I could play with. It cost $250 CDN, which I still think was 'spensive, but it shoots tiny little groups. I made a 6x45 using a Stevens 200 action. It's not a benchrest rifle, but it's accurate and fun to shoot.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by KyWindageII
Just picked up one of the $377 Remington 700 ADLs with cheap scope. Shooting known good loads it is stringing shots vertically (two shots together one out). While basic stuff, are there any known tricks to bedding the ADL plastic stock?

Were you using the scope that came with the rifle?

OT: Does WalMart get some sort of "special" rifles? crazy

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
746 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 87 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.