Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Checked tonight. Front action screw is not bottoming out.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by turkish
Clearly your problem is that you're shooting groups of too many shots. Seriously, there are aplenty pretty 3-shot groups on your targets. Folks should note that.

Bull chite. a 223 rem should be driving tacks, regardless of whether it's 3,5 or 10 shots...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Otter6
If you look at Fed Prem group 1,you have 3, 3/4" groups within the overall mess. Shots 2,3,4. Shots 5,6+7 are almost identical to them. And shots 8,9 + 10 are also 3/4" and not too bad for zero. If you had shot either of those by themselves,especially the last 3 shots,you would feel pretty good about things. Possibly from a good rest you could print 3/4" 3 shot groups,with factory fodder no less. That particular target sure looks to me like you were inconsistently bedding the rifle at the bench.

That's called a group. It ain't a- 3/4" inch gun if the 3/4" inch "groups" never impact the same place twice. What size target could he consistently hit? About 2 MOA. His gun with the Federal Premium ammo is a 2MOA gun. No amount lying to oneself will change that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old read, but an interesting read.....

GROUP DIAGNOSIS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 16bore
Old read, but an interesting read.....

GROUP DIAGNOSIS

Lots of good stuff there.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Lots of interesting and thought provoking info there. Thanks for the link.

Bottom line, unless someone here shoots with the o.p., there isn't one bit of info in that article to help anyone here, other than the o.p. with this thread.

Looking at the pics he posted, the rifle needs bedded.

I'm not picking on the o.p., he may be able to wingshoot the balz off a gnat, but I don't know that. He would do well to follow the advice of the other two threads posted as links.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Make sure the barrel is not contacting the stock, anywhere. I have seen several Kimbers where the barrel is not centered in the stock channel, and it touches on one side (or the bottom of the barrel). This will cause accuracy issues. Any rifle that is supposed to have a floated barrel should have a really floated barrel. The gap should be obvious with the naked eye, and should be wider than the thickness of a dollar bill.

On the other side of the coin, any rifle designed for contact between barrel and stock should have solid contact between barrel and stock. Not "light" contact, and it should not be possible to mave the barrel in rrelation to the stock. It should have firm and even contact.

Anything "ambiguous" between a fully floated barrel and a barrel firmy supported by the stock is trouble waiting to happen.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dave284

I'm not picking on the o.p., he may be able to wingshoot the balz off a gnat, but I don't know that. He would do well to follow the advice of the other two threads posted as links.

Dave.
[i][/i]

This really funny. I'm going to use it with your permission.

Prolly use it without your permission as well because its that good...... wink

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have been reading this because I have a Montana (280AI) in route as I write. I far from qualify as an expert as a gunsmith or as a tinkerer. I can however hold my on shooting groups from light rifles from the bench. The one question not ask or answered that I noticed is how quick were the shots fired? I worry more if the rifle will put the first shot on the money rather than group size. My 700 MR (260) will shoot in the .4s if I do my part and don't let it heat up much. If I shoot to quickly between shots it will always string up and right to an inch or more. My first shot on a cold barrel is what puts meat on the table. Longest kill with this rifle has been 407 yards.
Just my opinion
Thanks
Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve,

I have a Montana in 25/06ai (factory 25/06 punched....

I shoot it the same way as all my hunting rifles...wait a min or two between shots.

I have no problems keep it's fav load .5" - .75" as many times as I want too...

Tony

PS : for the record, of the known Kimber fixes, mine needed the mag box shortened, and bedding. After that, she was a shooting machine....

Last edited by hicountry; 12/31/14.
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Hoping this one will be a shooter. Looking forward to messing with it

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by SteveE
. My 700 MR (260) will shoot in the .4s if I do my part and don't let it heat up much. If I shoot to quickly between shots it will always string up and right to an inch or more. My first shot on a cold barrel is what puts meat on the table.
Thanks
Steve

Stringing is the result of stress. Rifles that "walk" need work no matter the barrel contour and no matter how fast they are shot.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by SteveE
. My 700 MR (260) will shoot in the .4s if I do my part and don't let it heat up much. If I shoot to quickly between shots it will always string up and right to an inch or more. My first shot on a cold barrel is what puts meat on the table.
Thanks
Steve

Stringing is the result of stress. Rifles that "walk" need work no matter the barrel contour and no matter how fast they are shot.

Not sure I agree but that's what makes us different
I have found that enough heat will make even the best walk
Buggy whip bbls will pull just from more air cooling the top of the bbl more than the bottom. Even my 7/300 custom by Dwight Scott will pull if pushed hard and it's a # 5 contour.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I forgot to add that a dial indicator just measures 0.002 on one and 0.001 on the other wen you loosen the bedding screws

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You ain't never gotta ask my permission.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

669 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 3,210 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.