Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by johnw

Just got off the phone with Larry from MRC. He claims that their X2 stock is not chopper gun construction, but rather a hand laid carbon fiber with kevlar reinforcing. Also has a kevlar reinforced foam core.

I'd wanna see one with my own eyes before calling them ugly, but from the pics I see, they look OK, at least. Really hard to tell much from the pics on their web page.

John, thanks for that info. That's good to hear.

I still think the stock is dang ugly, but undoubtedly it's one thing to look at it in a photo, and another to handle it.

The MRC rifle certainly has a heck of a lot going for it, and I agree with SAS, it really is the "new Model 70." I'll take something made in my own state with the best hunting trigger ever designed, over a Portuguese made non-model-70-model-70.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've got a sneaking suspicion that the new MRC stock will look alot better in person. Their photography leaves much to be desired in terms of showing the true dimensions of the stock.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I've got a sneaking suspicion that the new MRC stock will look alot better in person. Their photography leaves much to be desired in terms of showing the true dimensions of the stock.

More I've thought about it, the more I think you could be right.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
The stocks feel good in hand. The grip is much smaller than the old B&C too. I think the stock change was an excellent idea. It weighs less to boot. The rifles feel noticeably lighter in hand when compared to the previous XWR--SS. We have them side by side on the shelf....

Would like to see much less drop at comb. I have yet to find a fixed comb stock that gives me as firm a cheek weld as I like.

John

I've looked, and not seen on the website where they give any measurements on the stock. Pressed for time right now but will look again later...

later....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Since this has become a bit of a reference thread, adding some load data from some limited testing thus far for the 260 and 308 in case it helps someone down the road and answering a couple of questions.

Answering a question on the 260,

Weight 6 pounds, 14 ounces.

Muzzle diameter - 0.600" at the muzzle, on a 22" barrel.

Mine is 1:9" twist.

So far, in tinkering with Barnes bullets with the 260, the best loads have been:

100 gr. Barnes TTSX

44.7 H414 - avg 3065 @ 65F, again from a 22". The H414 would push it over 3100, but this was the best accuracy.
Lapua brass with F210M's.

H414 is the same as Win 760, and very similar to 4350, except it is a spherical powder, and easier to find. Also tried IMR 4831 and Varget for comparison. Did not have any I or H 4350 handy to try when testing.

120 Barnes TTSX

41.8 H4350 avg right at 2800 at 65F.

Lapua brass and F210M.

With the long mag box, reaching the lands is easy and still with mag box room left over. Both Barnes loads are 0.010" off of the lands, i.e. 0.010" of jump.

For the 308, this load works in every 308 I've ever tried it.

175 SMK
43.5 Varget
F210M
2.810" COAL
Black Hills fired brass (same as Win).

Runout on all loads for testing is equal to or less than 0.003" and usually 0.001" or less. The insides of the necks are polished with a copper brush chucked in a drill.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Did we ever find out if these will work in stocks made for a model 70?

"Never miss the opportunity to shut the f$%K up." Colonel Hopewell.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
They are not just"drop in". My CZ 3 built on an early MRC action was a little long and required some file work as did the bolt release. Not an impossible situation but requires some work.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Do the 1999s need to be fed from the magazine or will the extractor snap over the rim? Is the bottom metal steel or aluminum?

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Do the 1999s need to be fed from the magazine or will the extractor snap over the rim? Is the bottom metal steel or aluminum?

John

It will snap over and the bottom metal appears to be stainless steel.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Got MRC 1899 XWR SS in last night. Haven't shot it yet, but first impressions are VERY favorable. Quality seems top notch - a huge step above the typical factory M700. I got the short action version, which when compared to a Remington SA, is more of a mid length action. The 3.125" magazine box is perfect for those that want to seat out the VLDs to the lands. For those that haven't wanted to put a 6mm Rem on a short action before, this action is the answer. Would also be perfect for the 284 case. If throated correctly, I suspect it would even be suitable for a 6.5-284 w/ VLDs. Mine has the B&C stock and I really like it. The comb is higher than any non adjustable I have dealt with. The forend is a little shorter than normal and I really like the look. It seems quite stiff. I am not able to easily squeeze the forend to touch the barrel.

I have handled and used CRF rifles, but have not owned one and really scrutinized it. Mine could still be made to double feed IF I seriously short stroked the action. The extractor doesn't pick up the rim until the round completely pops up out of the magazine, which is about 1/2 way through the bolt travel. Still though, it DOES get control of the round well before you close the bolt handle, which I can't see being a bad thing. Ejection is horizontal which means no cases bumping windage turrets. The same can't be said about some of the other custom actions out there. With only moderate rearward bolt speed manipulation, it really flings the cartridges out there. As adjusted from the factory, the trigger has a little creep, but is so smooth as to be nearly non-detectable. I didn't put a scale on it but it is very useable as adjusted from the factory. The magazine will actually hold 5 down. The belly seems relatively trim so I don't know how it does it, but it does.

Even, having not shot it yet, I am certain this will not be my last MRC. I like the action so much that even should it not shoot well (and based on its overall apparent quality, I don't expect that to be the case), I will just have it rebarreled. Range report to follow, but it will be about 10 days or so before I have the opportunity to shoot it.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by jeffbird

John

It will snap over and the bottom metal appears to be stainless steel.

I called them and it is indeed, stainless.

John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tag

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
What is the trigger pull weight from MRC? I know they can be adjusted just curious what weight they are coming from MRC.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
P
pez Offline
P
The reviews I've read have the trigger between 3 and 3.5lb..

I've got a XWR-SS in 308 on the way, can't wait. I'm hoping to chuck my Bushnell 2.5-10x50 on top in some Leupold PRW rings - anyone running the Leupold rings and able to suggest the height? or able measure from the bell to the barrel, and bell diameter on their XWR?

The pics showing the difference between the new & old stock seem to have gone - any easy way to separate by finish, or just profile?

Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 55 invisible), 2,417 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,636
Posts18,455,269
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.