-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
K
To follow up, The 11-gn black tipped TAC-TX work very well in a 30-30 contender pistol. Ive taken 3 deer with them to date. two DRTs and one ~30 yard run. Very fast but controlled expansion. Nice wound channel but no excess loss of meat. I've seen results of people shooting the 120gn version into media at ~2700fps with full weight retention but stretched areas on some pedals.

GB1

T
T
What COL are you guys getting with these. I'd like to load these up to use my lever action as a 2 shot rifle (1 in the chamber and 1 in the tube mag). Also I'm guessing that you aren't crimping since you're using single shots, but could someone measure tip to cannelure and base to cannelure. I'm curious if I would be able to crimp these and retain functionality of the lever action.

I may have to use them as single shot for accuracy's sake anyway. My understanding is that copper bullets usually like 0.050-0.100" of jump. Which I think contributes to the poor accuracy of factory 30-30 lead free ammo in my gun. My sears lever gun engages lands with a 150gr hot core at about 2.705" COL and I am not going to attempt to load something that long in the mag tube. The barnes factory ammo did not perform well in my gun but the Hornady 140s were ok. I have to use lead free, but I'd also like a little more range at which they would reliably expand than the Hornadys provide. I think the 110's could help but may only be accurate if loaded long for single shot.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
One thing to remember, is that most pointy 110 grainers are rifle and/or single shot rifle/pistol bullets. If you crimp them in the normal way, they will feed into a lever action magazine, but; will not be able to clear the magazine tube to go into battery. If loaded singly into the chamber and not shot, they will not be able to be ejected as they will be to long.

"Lever actions, contenders, pointing dogs and
doo-wop music."
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I would recommend you Just stick with a normal 30-30 load. Sooner or later a 30-30 load not meant to be fired in a lever gun is going to be a problem.

FWIW

35 grains of LeverEvolution powder, with a 150 grain Barnes 30-30 TXS at 2.496 OAL is giving me 2400 FPS across my chrony and excellent accuracy. I have tested these for Expansion down to 1100 FPS if I remember right and they were still giving me ad copy expansion down that far. I wouldn't bet on the penetration at 1100 FPS, but I would be OK with then out at 150-200 yards if I had to on a deer/pig.

These loads are crimped. Winchester brass. CCI primers

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Stump Buster
UPDATE:

Spoke to Dillon from MGM today and he said if the bulge is at the 12 o'clock position, it could be gravity holding the brass at the bottom of the chamber during the firing of the rifle. Made sense so I told him I'd hit the range next week and index some cartridges so I knew for sure where the bulge was occurring. He seemed genuinely concerned on the phone (another reason I like MGM's services) and told me his reamer is super tight and he doesn't even usually come close to the head of the cases on the factory cut 30-30 chambers, so he was baffled. I also told him the PMC ammo was the only ammo I took out with me last week and I'd take some other brands with me on my next trip.

Well, I decided to run out to the range real quick tonight just to find out what was going on. I had the same PMC ammo, Factory Remington loads, and some remanufactured ammo that had WW, Winchester and Federal cases mixed in the lot. I shot the 4 Remington cartridges first (two normal & two with the rifle held upside down) and it is definately gravity causing the bulge. The good news is these cases came out easy as pie and the case deformation was minimal. I then shot the WW, Winchester and Federal reloads and all of those cases came out slicker-n-snot too with the Federal case showing almost ZERO deformation. I then fired a couple more PMC cartridges and confirmed the PMC cases are smaller in diameter than the other brands, the cases bulged significantly at 12 o'clock and extraction was sticky again.

I think the Federal cases are going to work fine (which is great since I have half of a 1 gallon ziplock bag filled with 'em). They seem a little thicker/stronger than the other brands and if I can develope a load as accurate (or better) than what the cheap PMC ammo was shooting, then I'll be stoked!

I'll try to take some pics tomorrow of the different cases.

If you're gonna use PMC ammo for fire-firming, make sure you have a TIGHT chamber!!!

Thanks Again for the replies and I hope this helps,

Mike

Yeah, I was going to say the problem is with the PMC brass. My favorite is Rem because it has more room in it, and is as thick as it needs to be. Win and Fed are about the same brass thickness and capacity, and are frankly far sturdier than they need to be. You won't see much case expansion near the head until you are well into the danger zone with Win and Fed brass.

I use Win to form Herrett cases.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 55 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.