Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
irrational? LMAO...

either Walker was and expert for getting his trigger into the M700.

or he was a dumbass of epic magnitude for selling a dangerous design to a major gun company.

if you go with 'expert' then you cant fault his triggers, because after all, he is the expert, right.

if dumbass for selling a dangerous design, why listen to him now? after all, this is his trigger that's defective, right?

I've got Winchesters, Rugers, Mausers, Remingtons, Steyrs, Kimbers, blah blah and use 'em all, so don't fall back on the 'emotional attatchment' crap. I just get tired of the same three of four members jumping onto every M700 thread just to spew bile. kinda like the guy that had two M700 bolt handles fall off after "40> years with wood stock Mausers and P64 Winchesters" (his words)

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Walker was an employee and design engineer for Remington. He didn't sell them anything. It was his job to create that stuff. No one gets it right the first time....it happens. He did not get it right the first time. He told them that and how to fix it.That was part of his job,too...I think his memo was dated (what?) 1948? 1950?

Nineteen-friggin-fifty??? They ignored him for 50-60 years! I mean you have to find that pretty funny if it were not so pathetic.

Even after he left in 1975, he told them in 1980,please fix the safety.

They ignored him.

It was not just the Rem 700,which never saw the light of day until 1962. It was the 721-722, the 725....etc etc. The problem went clear back to the 40's and 50's.

If bolt handles didn't fall off, no one would comment. I'm objective...I bash Winchesters too when the bolt handles fall off. smile I think the pictures of bolt handles separated from bolt bodies are funny....no matter who makes them.

I'm pretty objective about Remingtons and have owned quite a few. But I know what they are and where the faults are, too. I am not going to jump up and down defending the things either.

Don't blame me or anyone else if bolt handles don't fall off Mausers and pre 64's....they are one piece.

We are just users here, but when a product shidts the bed,we comment. Right?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does anyone know how to contact Remington concerning sending a rifle back for the recall?

Thanks guys. I plan to give my 700 to my grandson and I do want it to be safe.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does anyone know how to contact Remington concerning sending a rifle back for the recall?

I am more interested in knowing if the replacement triggers are any good, or are the junk. I ain't sending in a trigger that has worked OK for a lot of years for some junk. Nobody wants to talk about these new triggers, so I have my doubts. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still get why there's so much fuss about them when the cure is a phone call and two drift pins away.

And I don't see buying a $4,000 rifle with a "tuned" Remmie trigger when there are superior options available.

I'm swapping mine with Timmeys just for the warm and fuzzy factor.

Then again I'm merely a simpleton.....

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
a tuned Remington trigger is a good trigger, and that is coming from a guy with more than a few Jewells, and a couple Timneys.

Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE

Thanks guys. I plan to give my 700 to my grandson and I do want it to be safe.

Steve

is your trigger the XMP trigger?

LINK

Miles, a couple of guys I work with got their rifles 'fixed', but I haven't got to try one. I'd like to know too.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by milespatton

I am more interested in knowing if the replacement triggers are any good, or are the junk. I ain't sending in a trigger that has worked OK for a lot of years for some junk. Nobody wants to talk about these new triggers, so I have my doubts. miles

As per my post a while ago, I'd never send a 700 back to Remington for a trigger fix. They'll probably install their X-Mark Pro trigger with its MIM metal parts that do break. By the time you do all that, find a Timney and install it yourself. Not hard to do. My last one was from EBay, the new 510 Timney and it was delivered to my door for $105. Done deal, no messing with Remington, no sending the gun back and a better trigger for sure.

IMO.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by toad
a tuned Remington trigger is a good trigger, and that is coming from a guy with more than a few Jewells, and a couple Timneys.

Does a tuned Remington trigger completely eliminate the "problem" and are the aftermarket ones completely void of it?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have three finely tuned Walker triggers that definitely aren't going back.

One is a late 60's M-700 .22-250, one is an early '70's 40-XB .244, one is a 722, now a Hart .22-204. They not going anywhere.

The others, including a M-7, are Timney/Jewell equipped.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 16bore

Does a tuned Remington trigger completely eliminate the "problem" and are the aftermarket ones completely void of it?

Probably not. But, I think properly maintained and kept clean, the danger is minimal.

Sorta reminds me of the old Texas Ranger who packed his 1911, cocked and locked in his belt. When asked by a younger Ranger if that wasn't a dangerous carry, the old man replied, "Son, if the old gun wasn't dangerous, I wouldn't be packing it".

Kinda the way I feel about my 700 triggers...

My three are way too good to let Remington "fix" them...

If I was worried, I'd put Jewells or Timneys in all three guns. I just don't think that's necessary.

DF

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 16bore

IME any of these trigger designs can be adjusted to induce the "problem". not enough spring tension does the 'fire when safety is released' and not enough pre-travel or 'creep' will allow the striker to drop when slamming the bolt forward. instructions included with aftermarket triggers detail the tuning procedure, but I've only had to meddle with one of my Jewells. there are online instructions covering the factory M700 tuning. clean them all first, even new, aftermarket triggers. I use lighter fluid or brake cleaner followed by compressed air or canned CO2 used for cleaning electronics.

ADJUSTING A M700 TRIGGER

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys.

I'm ordering a Timney today.

Your good advice is very much appreciated.

Steve

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Sure do love my New Haven Model 70's

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
can't say that about my New Haven Model 70s. Kimber ruined Winchesters for me...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
can't say that about my New Haven Model 70s. Kimber ruined Winchesters for me...

Got'em both. Each has its place.

DF

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,698 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.