Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/22/15.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Your approach to the humorous aspects of our "occupations" certainly fall under the same stars.

I'll be REALLY pissed if you ever start posting dead serious gloom and doom, "America as we knew it is gone....' Horse apple posts.

GTC

I'm a welder, and that's about all I'm ever dead serious about.

America will never be gone while I draw breath...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seriously...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by johnw
To me, the trouble with welding is that if you can, then you must, or your world will not be at peace.

It's like a pronounced doom, or fate...

I am old. My eyes aren't all that good any more. Aint' nobody wants to hear it, though...

I suspect one day their gonna miss me at dinner time, and find me wedged back into a [bleep] hole.
Dead with a stinger in my hand...

john, just dont cash out at byron lol

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Speaking of [bleep] holes...

I worked the head repair there and braidwood...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Welding will pay more once you have the certifications.

Real world numbers?

I make a bit over 51 dollars per hour with over time after 40, benefits and 17 dollars per hour for my truck and machine. I weld pipelines and you could not pay me enough to work in nuke plants or refineries.

A guy I worked with for a while had been a pipe welder for a long time. He did pipeline and had worked on the Alaskan pipeline etc...Then he worked on the nuclear plant they built nearby.

He said it was the best job he ever had. Two fitters getting everything ready to weld and then he would weld. An inspector would come look and fill out a report, then a second inspector would come by and fill out another. If they didn't match that was a week shutdown while they hammered out the issue, all the time he sat there waiting for them to decide how to go forward. He said lots of weeks he would work 8 hours max a week.

Otto is my co-pilot.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by NathanL
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Welding will pay more once you have the certifications.

Real world numbers?

I make a bit over 51 dollars per hour with over time after 40, benefits and 17 dollars per hour for my truck and machine. I weld pipelines and you could not pay me enough to work in nuke plants or refineries.

A guy I worked with for a while had been a pipe welder for a long time. He did pipeline and had worked on the Alaskan pipeline etc...Then he worked on the nuclear plant they built nearby.

He said it was the best job he ever had. Two fitters getting everything ready to weld and then he would weld. An inspector would come look and fill out a report, then a second inspector would come by and fill out another. If they didn't match that was a week shutdown while they hammered out the issue, all the time he sat there waiting for them to decide how to go forward. He said lots of weeks he would work 8 hours max a week.

You are correct as I know how they work and it is BS, a lot of wasted time for no real reason. A very boring job IMHO.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
To me, the trouble with welding is that if you can, then you must, or your world will not be at peace.

It's like a pronounced doom, or fate...

I am old. My eyes aren't all that good any more. Aint' nobody wants to hear it, though...

I suspect one day their they're gonna miss me at dinner time, and find me wedged back into a [bleep] hole.
Dead with a stinger in my hand...

I'm going to Frame this and post it on my shop wall, Amigo.

grin
If you put it on the wall, we oughtta at least try to spel it rite...

Last edited by johnw; 02/22/15.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Lonny

The better the cut=the better the fit-up=better welds. Win/win

A proper fit up makes it easier to make a quality weld, but a quality weld can be made without a good fit up.
I made this high pressure pipe weld with out a good fit up, the x-ray wS good

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Man,.....

.....whole lotta' stringers later, eh ?

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I learned at 16. I was handed a hood and told to follow Charlie, a pipeline certified welder around, and "watch the bead." After doing that 14 hours a day for two weeks, I was handed leads and several sticks of 7018. We had I-beam laid out on the floor and I was told to weld the flats and make the bead look like Charlies'. I did so and as I completed each weld the slag would curl up and start peeling off revealing a perfect 7018 weld. Those welds were for a reverse pit for a workover rig and had to stand a lot of stress, including being sucked onto a semi trailer via winch, but I guess held up fine. At that point, I still had a lot to learn, including running 7018 vertical, but basically learned to weld better than most, including some "professional" welders, just by "watching the bead" of a really good welder for two weeks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What's the Theme Song for that Site,....

"Music to slash one's wrists by ?"

More sad defeatist horsechit.

Things may get real slow, but to posit that these skills will "Die" is blithering idiocy, rooted in depression and unhappiness.

GTC

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Whatever you wanna think.

I spent decades mastering the trade,....got decent at it.

There's better ways to make a living,...but nobody could tell me either.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
You can spend your life learning a trade,...or for a few bucks less you can just go drive a taxi.

http://www1.salary.com/Machinist-I-Salary.html

http://www1.salary.com/Taxi-Driver-Salary.html

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Whatever you wanna think.

I spent decades mastering the trade,....got decent at it.

There's better ways to make a living,...but nobody could tell me either.

Location, location, location...

I haven't made less than $60k in 25 years as a toolmaker. Most years are within spitting distance of a six figure income. Lot of overtime, still have had time to enjoy life.

My son started as a machinist, worked his way up to process engineer in a non-union shop. His income ain't chump change either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It matters less about what you do and more about how much people want YOU to be the one doing it. Be good at what you do....and don't be afraid to take a better gig.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Getting burnt is all part of the job. Look at a welders arms and the scars tell the story..

Seems a welder hasn't arrived til he's stood 170 ft in the air on an 8" beam and poured a paper cup of gator-ade on his sack for relief...

grin

Rollin, that's damn funny!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I learned at 16. I was handed a hood and told to follow Charlie, a pipeline certified welder around, and "watch the bead." After doing that 14 hours a day for two weeks, I was handed leads and several sticks of 7018. We had I-beam laid out on the floor and I was told to weld the flats and make the bead look like Charlies'. I did so and as I completed each weld the slag would curl up and start peeling off revealing a perfect 7018 weld. Those welds were for a reverse pit for a workover rig and had to stand a lot of stress, including being sucked onto a semi trailer via winch, but I guess held up fine. At that point, I still had a lot to learn, including running 7018 vertical, but basically learned to weld better than most, including some "professional" welders, just by "watching the bead" of a really good welder for two weeks.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,104 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,314
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.